Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong flour

Options
  • 22-09-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Baking a Darina Allen tea brack, I used strong white flour instead of plain flour by accident, I did notice it was v hard to mix. Just wondering is my tea brack completely done with? It's in the oven now! Thanks 😊

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Probably won't be ruined, might be chewier than usual. Strong flour has a higher gluten content and is good for chewy baked goods like bread and not good for tender baked goods like cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Tree wrote: »
    Probably won't be ruined, might be chewier than usual. Strong flour has a higher gluten content and is good for chewy baked goods like bread and not good for tender baked goods like cakes.

Ah! I wondered why my banana cake came out more like banana bread the other day, that'll be it.
    I used strong flour, recommended to me for making focaccia, for my cake. It was OK, but yeah, a bit on the chewy side.
    I pretended it was supposed to be like that when serving it!

Advertisement