Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windscreen breakage claim

• 22-09-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

A stone hit windscreen and cracked it this morning. I checked my policy and I have windscreen cover which wont effect no claims discount. However, even though they state the NCD is not effected is it likely my insurance premium will increase at renewal due if I claim? Also if I change insurers at the end of the year will a windscreen claim increase the premium as it was a claim. I'm debating whether to claim or not. ATM I have no claims on this policy - 6 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

223vmax wrote: »
    A stone hit windscreen and cracked it this morning. I checked my policy and I have windscreen cover which wont effect no claims discount. However, even though they state the NCD is not effected is it likely my insurance premium will increase at renewal due if I claim? Also if I change insurers at the end of the year will a windscreen claim increase the premium as it was a claim. I'm debating whether to claim or not. ATM I have no claims on this policy - 6 years.

Although windscreen replacement is a claim. Your insurer will ignore it at renewal date, as will alternative insurers when you go looking for a quote. It must be declared though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I was refused a quote from FBD this year, because I had too many windscreen claims with my current insurer in the last 5 years.
    So it's not that much meaningless as you try to put it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CiniO wrote: »
    I was refused a quote from FBD this year, because I had too many windscreen claims with my current insurer in the last 5 years.

How many windscreen claims did you have?:eek:

Stheno wrote: »
    How many windscreen claims did you have?:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's a lot in five years tbh

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had 2 in the space of a year - I got a big chip repaired, then about 3 weeks later the bloody road gritting truck drove past at speed and chipped it again! When I rang up to get the second repair sorted the agent I spoke to told me that she had to make me aware that 3 or more windscreen claims in 5 years can affect the policy.

Stheno wrote: »
    That's a lot in five years tbh

There was even more (5 all together) but other 2 on my wife's car which is on separate insurance.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are there a lot of loose chippings where you live??

Toots wrote: »
    Are there a lot of loose chippings where you live??

Billions.
    Roads here have been remade by small stretches every year over last decade (bit by bit), and it's all made in old "surface dressing" technology where they lay loose chippings, and they keep them loose for another few weeks after works are finished.
    Then they come back few months later when they consider surface is not loose enough anymore, and paint road markings.

Crazy stuff...
    On a car I used here for last 8 years, front bonnet paint looks like dutch cheese full of holes.

On the other hand, there are no speed traps, no checkpoints, and hardly any pedestrians, cyclists or other traffic outside summer season, so at least I can feel bit of freedom here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

A single windscreen claim on your driving record is effectively meaningless for rating & acceptance. Liking it to your situation is not a fair comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Billions.
    Roads here have been remade by small stretches every year over last decade (bit by bit), and it's all made in old "surface dressing" technology where they lay loose chippings, and they keep them loose for another few weeks after works are finished.
    Then they come back few months later when they consider surface is not loose enough anymore, and paint road markings.

Crazy stuff...
    On a car I used here for last 8 years, front bonnet paint looks like dutch cheese full of holes.

On the other hand, there are no speed traps, no checkpoints, and hardly any pedestrians, cyclists or other traffic outside summer season, so at least I can feel bit of freedom here.

We're the same. 19th century roads.

I had two in a year but was lucky that Autoglass guaranteed to repair so when it was damaged again, they replaced it.

These chips are easily done and if you get it in the "A" zone :eek:

Advertisement