Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 days notice to break a fixed term lease?

Options
  • 22-09-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are currently tenants who are 6 months into a 12 month fixed term lease. Due to a unforeseen circumstances (change in jobs/offer that couldn't be refused), we now need to move again so we are looking to break our lease with minimum financial damage to us if at all possible. There doesn't seem to be any breakages clause in the lease. It is the standard 2004 Residential Tenancies Act.

Maybe I am incorrect, but am I reading the following link correctly by suggesting that we can break a fixed term lease by giving 35 days notice once the duration of our tenancy have been 6 months or more?

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/ending-your-tenancy/

Apologies if this seems a stupid question. I just have had so many different opinions from various people! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe I am incorrect

You are.

You can look to reassign the lease, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

L1011 wrote: »
    You are.

You can look to reassign the lease, however.

Thank you for the clarity.

So if in my shoes, you would give my landlord notice of leaving on the basis that you intend to sub-let for the remainder of the term?

Given that a 3 or 4 month term might not be attractive to renters, am I permitted to advertise the sub-let for 12 month term? I would assume the landlord would want this anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Thank you for the clarity.

So if in my shoes, you would give my landlord notice of leaving on the basis that you intend to sub-let for the remainder of the term?

Given that a 3 or 4 month term might not be attractive to renters, am I permitted to advertise the sub-let for 12 month term? I would assume the landlord would want this anyway?

Its not a sub-let, its lease reassignment. Tenancies work on 4 year cycles here, the 12 month term of the lease isnt relevant.

Its not a sub-let, its lease reassignment. Tenancies work on 4 year cycles here, the 12 month term of the lease isnt relevant.

Thank you. Could the landlord be difficult by suggesting the tenants for a reassigned lease must meet a certain criteria? Certainly if I was in his shoes, I'd be looking to ensure my existing tenants find suitable people to reassign the lease to? Is there any legal implications I would need to be aware of. I can't seem to spot anything in the 2004 Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Thank you. Could the landlord be difficult by suggesting the tenants for a reassigned lease must meet a certain criteria? Certainly if I was in his shoes, I'd be looking to ensure my existing tenants find suitable people to reassign the lease to? Is there any legal implications I would need to be aware of. I can't seem to spot anything in the 2004 Act.

He can refuse your replacement but you are then free to terminate the lease anyway. As long as you dont drag in some homeless people as assignees you should be fine.

• Advertisement

He can refuse your replacement but you are then free to terminate the lease anyway. As long as you dont drag in some homeless people as assignees you should be fine.

Thank you for all your help. My landlord isn't the most organised of people. My plan is to write to him requesting permission to re-assign. Where would I stand if he didn't bother to write back to me with formal permission? (a likely scenario!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If it is that sort of landlord I would say the easiest thing is to sit down with him and explain the situation and offer to help him find and get in a new tenant.

Hi folks,
    Is a landlord legally permitted to deduct money from a tenants deposit for "expenses" (e.g. re-advertising, letting agent expenses) even if the landlord decided not to let a tenant reassign the lease.
    The tenant gave the appropriate 35 days notice when moving out before the 12 month term was up.
    I am not quite able to fully determine that point from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi folks,
    Is a landlord legally permitted to deduct money from a tenants deposit for "expenses" (e.g. re-advertising, letting agent expenses) even if the landlord decided not to let a tenant reassign the lease.
    The tenant gave the appropriate 35 days notice when moving out before the 12 month term was up.
    I am not quite able to fully determine that point from here?

NO!

Once the tenant finds a person to reassign the lease to then it is up to the Landlord to accept that person or else pay for all re-advertising and other costs themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

foggy_lad wrote: »
    NO!

Once the tenant finds a person to reassign the lease to then it is up to the Landlord to accept that person or else pay for all re-advertising and other costs themselves!

It's better than that. The landlord refused to assign at all, so there's no obligation on the tenant at all following the notice period even without an assignee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

foggy_lad wrote: »
    NO!

Did you read that correctly? OP saying the LL didnt allow him to re-assign the lease. And the LL is now billing the OP for advertising. To me that sounds right/fair, and in line with all ive read.

Expected expenses (excluding missing rent, cleaning, wear and tear etc) would be advertising fees, letting agent fees, and PRTB registration fee (threshold listed these to me).

It's better than that. The landlord refused to assign at all, so there's no obligation on the tenant at all following the notice period even without an assignee.

No obligation from the OP to find a new tenant, and they're now all clear to break the lease, but im pretty sure the LL can bill them for expenses incurred by them breaking the lease (as I listed above).

No obligation from the OP to find a new tenant, and they're now all clear to break the lease, but im pretty sure the LL can bill them for expenses incurred by them breaking the lease (as I listed above).

I have spoken to the PRTB today and you are wrong. The landlord has no right to use deposit money for re-advertising fees if they didn't consent to a tenant reassigning the lease and the tenant gave appropriate notice on the move out day.

Don't think so, the law allows two situations
    1. The landlord agrees and the tenant gets a suitable tenant to assign the lease to.
    2. The landlord disagrees and the tenant may give notice of termination.

In case 1 which the tenant proposes, the landlord has no costs. Sure if the tenant doesn't assign the lease and leaves, they are liable to the costs of reletting but in refusing the assignment, the landlord is incurring the costs himself not being burdened by the tenant's actions.

I have spoken to the PRTB today and you are wrong. The landlord has no right to use deposit money for re-advertising fees if they didn't consent to a tenant reassigning the lease and the tenant gave appropriate notice on the move out day.
    Don't think so, the law allows two situations
    1. The landlord agrees and the tenant gets a suitable tenant to assign the lease to.
    2. The landlord disagrees and the tenant may give notice of termination.

In case 1 which the tenant proposes, the landlord has no costs. Sure if the tenant doesn't assign the lease and leaves, they are liable to the costs of reletting but in refusing the assignment, the landlord is incurring the costs himself not being burdened by the tenant's actions.
    Excellent to know. I'm in the middle of my own situation at the moment, and the LL hasn't given me permission to reassign the lease. Infact, they just ignored any contact I made with them.

Excellent to know. I'm in the middle of my own situation at the moment, and the LL hasn't given me permission to reassign the lease. Infact, they just ignored any contact I made with them.

If they're ignoring you, make sure that if you send a notice of termination it has all the required information as per the RTA 2004*, keep a copy and send it registered post.

This will keep you covered if they try to play silly buggers later.

*http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/enacted/en/print#sec62

If they're ignoring you, make sure that if you send a notice of termination it has all the required information as per the RTA 2004*, keep a copy and send it registered post.

This will keep you covered if they try to play silly buggers later.

*http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/enacted/en/print#sec62

Yup. Casually text them to inform them of our change in circumstances and having to break the contract (also, did they want me to find a replacment). A couple of unreturned text/calls later I decided to send them a registered letter stating we're leaving, which although they received it, still didnt provoke any communication.

EDIT: Only slip up, I didnt enquire about re-assigning in the actual letter. Darn

Yup. Casually text them to inform them of our change in circumstances and having to break the contract (also, did they want me to find a replacment). A couple of unreturned text/calls later I decided to send them a registered letter stating we're leaving, which although they received it, still didnt provoke any communication.

EDIT: Only slip up, I didnt enquire about re-assigning in the actual letter. Darn

I wouldn't worry about it, just keep the texts that mention reassigning the lease just in case. Make sure to send another to enquire about your deposit and if you don't get any joy open a PRTB dispute to get it back.

I wouldn't worry about it, just keep the texts that mention reassigning the lease just in case. Make sure to send another to enquire about your deposit and if when you don't get any joy open a PRTB dispute to get it back.

Think this is a bit more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I was always under the impression that a lease simply prevented either party from changing the terms (such as payment amount etc) but that signing a 12 month lease didn't necessarily force you to remain in the property for the full 12 months if you needed to move. That's what both my previous landlords (one private and a letting agency) told me when I asked for clarification.

• Advertisement

I was always under the impression that a lease simply prevented either party from changing the terms (such as payment amount etc) but that signing a 12 month lease didn't necessarily force you to remain in the property for the full 12 months if you needed to move. That's what both my previous landlords (one private and a letting agency) told me when I asked for clarification.

No there are only certain conditions to break a fixed term lease without penalty. Some examples:
    There's a break clause in the lease
    Assigning the lease as discussed above
    Landlord/tenant not meeting their obligations

Surely once you're 6 months into the lease your tenancy becomes a Part 4 and thus you can break the lease once you give enough notice?

Surely once you're 6 months into the lease your tenancy becomes a Part 4 and thus you can break the lease once you give enough notice?

Part 4 runs concurrently with the fixed term, it doesn't replace it until the term has run its course.

Edit: additionally in clause 58 of Part 5:

"...shall be construed as including a term enabling its termination by means of a notice of termination that complies with this Part (but, in the case of a tenancy that is for a fixed period, unless it provides otherwise, only where there has been a failure by the party in relation to whom the notice is served to comply with any obligations of the tenancy)."

Part 4 runs concurrently with the fixed term, it doesn't replace it until the term has run its course.

But a fixed term can be broken, whereby the tenant is either responsible for reassigning the lease/expenses incured due to not reassigning, or is not given permission to reassign which entitles them to just leave.

Easy to see how people get confused.

According to the PTRB site it does, unless I'm misreading it?
    FIXED TERM TENANCIES AND PART 4
    The existence of a fixed term tenancy does not preclude the operation of Part 4. Part 4 runs with a fixed term tenancy, so that the continuous occupation by a tenant under a fixed term tenancy for a period of 6 months, means the tenant shall, as in the normal course, become entitled to the protections of a Part 4 tenancy. In cases of fixed term tenancies however, the rights under Part 4 only apply to the extent that they benefit the tenant over and above the rights afforded to him or her under the terms of the fixed term tenancy.

A tenant can terminate a Part 4 tenancy at any time and without reason, provided he or she gives the requisite notice and complies with the provisions for termination of a tenancy under the Act, which includes the service of a valid notice of termination.

Going by that it seems that the issue is down to whatever notice is specified in the tenant's lease.

According to the PTRB site it does, unless I'm misreading it?

Going by that it seems that the issue is down to whatever notice is specified in the tenant's lease.

See RTA 2004 clause 58. If the lease doesn't allow for it, then you can't issue a notice of termination in line with Part 4.

Good to know. I'm about to renew my lease (been there 2 years at the end of the month), must have another read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Did you read that correctly? OP saying the LL didnt allow him to re-assign the lease. And the LL is now billing the OP for advertising. To me that sounds right/fair, and in line with all ive read.

Expected expenses (excluding missing rent, cleaning, wear and tear etc) would be advertising fees, letting agent fees, and PRTB registration fee (threshold listed these to me).
    Disagree. He'd have to pay some of those on a standard re-let anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Good to know. I'm about to renew my lease (been there 2 years at the end of the month), must have another read.

No need to sign a new lease, you can inform your landlord that you are going to continue your tenancy as a part four tenancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

No there are only certain conditions to break a fixed term lease without penalty. Some examples:
    There's a break clause in the lease
    Assigning the lease as discussed above
    Landlord/tenant not meeting their obligations
    For the avoidance of doubt the assignment of a fixed term lease is at the descretition of the landlord.

Advertisement