Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3phase question

Options
  • 22-09-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hi , I am in the process of buying an eletric roller shutter for a shed, the shutter is currently been ran off a 3 phase building, what can I do to run this from the normal house power phase.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

is the shutter actually three phase or run off one phase??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

You can get a single phase to 3 phase converter but they are big money. You would probably get a door and single phase motor cheaper to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

The shutter /motor is a 3phase itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Replace the 3phase motor with a single phase motor. Ring around some of the shuttering companys and see if you can swap a 3 phase motor for a second hand single phase one. I reckon thats the best solution. Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

spongbob wrote: »
    The shutter /motor is a 3phase itself.

Do you know how many KW or HP the motor is?

Nearly all roller shutters i've seen have springs in them to act as a counter balance, so the motor doesn't have to lift the entire load. Also these things aren't high speed so the gearing is quite high.

I'd imagine a small 3 phase motor drive would run it fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

evosteo wrote: »
    Replace the 3phase motor with a single phase motor. Ring around some of the shuttering companys and see if you can swap a 3 phase motor for a second hand single phase one. I reckon thats the best solution. Steve

Agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Some have inverters in the panel (to control acceleration and slow down when almost closed) and are just single phase supply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you go for a single phase motor your going to have to control the direction of the motor too, not as easy with a single phase motor.

Depending on power requirements you should be able to pick up a cheap inverter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you go for a single phase motor your going to have to control the direction of the motor too, not as easy with a single phase motor.

Depending on power requirements you should be able to pick up a cheap inverter

There are off the shelf single phase motors designed specifically for roller shutters. I connected a number of them in shops and garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    There are off the shelf single phase motors designed specifically for roller shutters. I connected a number of them in shops and garages.

We've about 20 shutters in our place all controlled by key switches and all single phase.

The biggest is a double door through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Single phase induction and universal motors are of course reversible. Its just not quite as simple to do as with 3 phase ones, in so far as access is needed to the winding ends if they are not a motor that was intended for forward and reverse in normal use.

Roller shutter ones are setup to be easily reversible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Inverter for less than €150 as long as the motor has 6 terminals exposed. (i.e wire it in star)

Steve wrote: »
    Inverter for less than €150 as long as the motor has 6 terminals exposed. (i.e wire it in star)

A three phase motor with 3 windings can have 6 terminals exposed for a star or a delta connection. This has nothing to do with an inverter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    A three phase motor with 3 windings can have 6 terminals exposed for a star or a delta connection. This has nothing to do with an inverter.

I think he meant that to connect the invertor, the 6 terminals need to be accessible to allow a particular configuration. It would be interesting to see why it needs to be a star connection though if its 230v 3 phase output.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Bruthal wrote: »
    I think he meant that to connect the invertor, the 6 terminals need to be accessible to allow a particular configuration. It would be interesting to see why it needs to be a star connection though if its 230v 3 phase output.

I agree generally to run on 230V 3 phase you would wire the motor in delta, the star windings being connected to 400V (Depending on the motor of course)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sorry lads, brain fart there, of course you wire it Delta.

Advertisement