Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google.ie as homepage

Options
  • 22-09-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Following on recent Windows 7 updates, my browser homepage keeps reverting to Yahoo and I am unable to reset it Google, which was the setting, prior to downloading updates.

Google Chrome continues to be the search engine. I have tried this via the Settings Options ..... On Startup .... open the new tab page AND open specific page, which is set to google.ie. Also, google is set as Home Page.

Can anyone please help or advise what to do here. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Have you got a yahoo toolbar installed? If so it's possible that a feature of it is make yahoo homepage and you would need to remove the toolbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Check out if you've had any new toolbar extensions or programs installed. I've seen this before when there was a new malware program installed which showed the same symptoms you have. Of course I can't remember the name of it now but if you go to Add-Remove programs and sort your installed program list by Date descending you might see something that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NBCPass

Do a scan with http://www.malwarebytes.org to ensure you do not have malware. Also, check your list of install programs and ensure that you do not have any toolbars installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Ant695 wrote: »
    Have you got a yahoo toolbar installed? If so it's possible that a feature of it is make yahoo homepage and you would need to remove the toolbar.

No, I do not have a Yahoo toolbar installed. Thanks for suggestion.

NBCPass wrote: »
    Do a scan with http://www.malwarebytes.org to ensure you do not have malware. Also, check your list of install programs and ensure that you do not have any toolbars installed.

Running malwarebytes was my first port of call - it identified some PUMs and PUPs, which I disabled. Will check list of installed programmes later to see what has been recently installed etc. etc.

As a matter of interest, do PUPs and PUMs, which have been disabled by malwarebytes, but not removed, show up as installed programs? Thanks.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Check out if you've had any new toolbar extensions or programs installed. I've seen this before when there was a new malware program installed which showed the same symptoms you have. Of course I can't remember the name of it now but if you go to Add-Remove programs and sort your installed program list by Date descending you might see something that's not right.

Thanks for this - I am not sure how to check if new toolbar extensions have been added - does it show up in installed programs? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you go to chrome://extensions/ it will show what extensions you have and if they're enabled or disabled.

Worth checking your installed programs first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A toolbar would be an obvious suspect alright. iirc, the likes of McAfee gets bundled with some Adobe stuff. I installed Unchecky on my mother's PC to stop junk being installed.

Sometimes extensions are in the browser's settings. In Firefox, it's Tools - Add-ons - Extensions. If in Chrome, put chrome://extensions/ into the address bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

download and run adwcleaner it will tell if your browser had being hijacked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

robbie67 wrote:
    download and run adwcleaner it will tell if your browser had being hijacked

Adwcleaner, Usually the best job for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement