Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive boss

Options
  • 22-09-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

My boss is aggressive and has begun sniping at us for taking hour long lunch breaks (we already work a longer day than most). He also micromanages every aspect of my role and manages to make us feel like nothing we do is good enough, even when we're performing well. We now feel worried/guilty when we take an hour lunch which I feel is completely wrong.

It is getting to the stage where I dread going in. What can I do about this? The person he reports into is based in the UK, and if I say anything it could make things more difficult for me in the long run. Should i stay quiet and get on with it or speak up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,576 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

My boss is aggressive and has begun sniping at us for taking hour long lunch breaks (we already work a longer day than most). He also micromanages every aspect of my role and manages to make us feel like nothing we do is good enough, even when we're performing well. We now feel worried/guilty when we take an hour lunch which I feel is completely wrong.

It is getting to the stage where I dread going in. What can I do about this? The person he reports into is based in the UK, and if I say anything it could make things more difficult for me in the long run. Should i stay quiet and get on with it or speak up?

If you are entitled to an hour break then take it, is there a HR person you can talk to in confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

If you're entitled to an hour long lunch break, then the next time he says anything about it, just ask him:

'How long is our lunch break entitlement?'

He won't like being challenged and it will also show that you're not afraid to stand up for yourself when you know you're right.

If there are any other aspects of your work he's unhappy with, just say to him 'Ok fine, let's sit down and talk openly about what you want me to do'. but limit this to specific tasks. For example if he's sniping about how long task X takes to do, sit down with him and break it down to him how much time each sub-task takes. Ask does he want you to put task Y on hold so task X can get done more quickly etc.

Can't guarantee any of this will work, but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

You need to say it to HR.

It's not fair what he's doing.

Tell them you're stressed, worried about your mental health, and you feel your productivity has been hampered because of this. If there is anyone else on your team who is in the same boat, see if they will do the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How long is your working day, and is it documented anywhere as to how long you can take for lunch?

HR is not your friend. The only time that I would g9 to them is if I'm not in a union.

If your company is unionised, they are the people you pay to advise you on such matters, use them. (unions are not just for strike action)

• Advertisement

HR is not your friend. The only time that I would g9 to them is if I'm not in a union.

Then she should seek employment elsewhere - I would never work anywhere that HR weren't the go-to in a situation like this.

Then she should seek employment elsewhere - I would never work anywhere that HR weren't the go-to in a situation like this.

HRs role is to manage the workforce, for the benefit of the company, not the employee individually.
    If their manager is hitting all targets set of them and generating proven results, what do you think they will do?
    Especially if it's only one employee making noise

HRs role is to manage the workforce, for the benefit of the company, not the employee individually.
    If their manager is hitting all targets set of them and generating proven results, what do you think they will do?
    Especially if it's only one employee making noise

Wrong.

It's the employer's duty to protect against work related stress. HR are the first port of call if you can't go directly to a superior. Or maybe mine just made an exception with me... :rolleyes:

Read this PDF here then come back.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Recent_Publications/Work_Related_Stress_A_Guide_for_Employers.36560.shortcut.html

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

It sounds like your boss may be super stressed out and worried about targets rather than just being an ass...

Might be worth just approaching them first.. "I notice you seem under a lot of pressure recently.. we need our lunch break to remain productive.. I believe we're preforming well, where do you see the shortfall."

If you haven't already had this conversation, escalating it will only deteriorate the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Watch horrible bosses, might give you a few ideas for "alternative" solutions :pac:

Jokes aside fella I worked with in his previous job the boss was like yours plus a racist bully ended up moving on because someone eventually had enough of him and took a dump on his desk. He got the point and moved on somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wrong.
    It's the employer's duty to protect against work related stress. HR are the first port of call if you can't go directly to a superior.

Potentially both wrong. The role of HR varies between companies.

In some places, they are actively involved in day-to-day employee management, and would be the go-to for issues like this.

At the other extreme, in other places, their only role is to manage payroll.

Mostly, it's somewhere in between. So the first thing that that the OP needs to do is decided - based on the company's approach - if the issue should be taken to HR, or the manager's manager, or dealt with by talking to the manager directly. There's no point going to "HR" if "HR" is no more than a payroll-clerk.

Also, while employers have a responsibility to minimise the harmful effects of work-related stress (you cannot avoid stress itself), there's a lot of interpretations of what stress means and how to manage its effects. I usually find that when a manager is "micro-managing" it means they don't have confidence in the team to get things right without detailed guidance - possibly with good reason. Arguably they are reducing stress overall by being hands-on to avoid major f***ups.

Very true all. I also wish that I were wrong but for the outlined case I highly doubt that HR will want to know

Mostly, it's somewhere in between. So the first thing that that the OP needs to do is decided - based on the company's approach - if the issue should be taken to HR, or the manager's manager, or dealt with by talking to the manager directly. There's no point going to "HR" if "HR" is no more than a payroll-clerk.

OP couldn't go to direct management, felt uncomfortable going to more senior management. I don't know the internal dynamics of her organisation. My answer gave her advice on the best I can give it without knowing all internal dynamics and relationships that exist within the entity.

A typical grievance procedure in this case, although granted, not in 100% of circumstances, starts with HR. In the vast majority anyway. Especially in OP's situation.

Hence the context of my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I wouldn't go straight to HR without making my point to the boss first. Why not ask him and, if he says get lost or whatever, then approach HR if needs be? Sounds like there are more pressing issues with the boss than one hour lunch breaks in any case. It's like nailing Al Capone for tax dodging.

Advertisement