Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water tank element reset ?!?!

Options
  • 22-09-2015 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Can anyone explain why my hot water tank element keeps having to be reset? For hot water, I have to reset after every washing machine or dishwasher cycle :( All feedback welcome. Thank you.

-MJM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Can anyone explain why my hot water tank element keeps having to be reset? For hot water, I have to reset after every washing machine or dishwasher cycle :( All feedback welcome. Thank you.

-MJM

What do you mean by reset, didn't know you could reset the element. We had to replace the element in our storage tank as it kept tripping the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

Jimjay wrote: »
    What do you mean by reset, didn't know you could reset the element. We had to replace the element in our storage tank as it kept tripping the electricity.

I mean resetting the red button on the actual element. I had to replace the previous element a while back, it was doing exactly the same, old element eventually gave in after countless resets.

Could it be overheating? If so, how do I fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Can you adjust the thermostat on the unit? Maybe the setting is set too high>>> similar>>21639752931_583cec1abe.jpgbacker-backersafe-immersion-heater-2 by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Can you adjust the thermostat on the unit? Maybe the setting is set too high>>> similar>>21639752931_583cec1abe.jpgbacker-backersafe-immersion-heater-2 by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Cheers John, I'll see if I can adjust the thermo and hope that works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

If you also have gas or oil heating, check the temp settings are not higher than the immersion settings. It should trip if the water in cylinder gets hotter than the thermostat - well as far as I understand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mrbrianj wrote: »
    If you also have gas or oil heating, check the temp settings are not higher than the immersion settings. It should trip if the water in cylinder gets hotter than the thermostat - well as far as I understand!
    Yes, there is a control valve in the hot press that looks like a radiator valve for doing this. The thermostat has numbers on it and is attached to the hot water cylinder via a "wire" (which is actually a tiny metal tube, so be careful not to kink it). Maybe the sensor at the other end has fallen out? Its a shiny metal bulb and shut be sitting into a slot specially cut out for it in the foam insulation.

Advertisement