Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a company purchase part of personal home for office space?

Options
  • 22-09-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi folks,

1. Say a company is run in the home of a director and shareholder - I believe the company can pay rent in respect of the amount of space (by square meter) that is used wholly and exclusively for the business. Is this correct?

2. If the person was to buy a new home, can the company purchase part of it in respect of the space used for the business? I understand in this case, the company then becomes liable for capital gains when the house is sold.

3. Assuming 2 to be true, if the house in question is in another EU state, is it still possible (assuming the company is Irish registered)?

4. How does one account for all of this and what paperwork is required. I.e. if it were ok in principal - what documents are required. Can the company just furnish part of the purchase price to the buyer/director and account for this by way of an agreement with the director, or does the company need to be a legal party in the sale, and if so, how is this done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Short answer, it will cost more and cause more grief than the minimal savings that MIGHT arise in the short term. just dont do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

pedronomix wrote: »
    Short answer, it will cost more and cause more grief than the minimal savings that MIGHT arise in the short term. just dont do it!!

Thanks for the reply - could you please elaborate on the costs?

I am aware of the capital gains tax implications. If the property were not in Ireland but somewhere with very modest house price appreciation, these costs would not be huge?

It is most likely that the tax domicile of the property location would apply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

Yeah, sounds like a bit of a headache alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Plain daft. OP, your post implies a huge "knowledge gap" on corporate governance. You need to look at company law on arms' length transactions and corporate solvency requirements. Tax domicile is the least of your worries!

• Advertisement

while tax is important, corporate governance is for pussies!

Advertisement