Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyeing wool dress

• 22-09-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have a wool mix dress with 80% wool content that I'd like to dye a different colour, I've see the dylons in my local pharmacy but am unsure if they will work. The colour of the dress is cream which doesn't suit me so ideally would prefer a red/pink/brown/burgundy colour. It's a Karen Millen dress so don't want to ruin it either. Any advice or tips would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

As far as I know, all the ordinary home-dye products involve wetting, washing or soaking the garment: so you would want to be VERY sure that it won't shrink.

And quite a few dry-cleaning establishments offer a dyeing service - I think - they used to, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Is there any way you can post a pic of the label with the care instructions?

Also, is the dress all one fabric, or is it for example wool for the main body and synthetic for the trim? If it's the latter you need to be aware that the colour will come out differently on those parts. Which can look nice, depending on your taste.

For example, my mother once dyed a white bra with navy dye. The main bra came out navy and the lace on the cups, which was a different fibre, came out slightly purple. It looked very nice, but it was a surprise to her. I imagine you don't want surprises with your garment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

thanks, will try and do it later

Advertisement