Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Conversion

Options
  • 22-09-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

Looking for some advise. We have bought a house with a flat roofed garage conversion, it is wholly inadequate and we've engaged an architect to draw up plans to incorporate it into the house in the form of connection the existing kitchen to it by using an RSJ to support the wall that needs to come down on the ground and then building a walk in wardrobe and bathroom above connecting to the master. Now the original assumption was the garage would come down but my engineer has posed the possibility of keeping it intact. However the wall in the garage have no cavity and to add to this the gable wall is right up on the neighbors property. We are externally insulation the rest of the house but would be reluctant to do so on the neighbors side. My questions are as follows -
    1. Is it possible to maintain the structure and support the rooms as outlined above??? What additional support if any is required. Note we have explored the foundations and engineer and builder friend are satisfied they are in good nick.

2. Address the insulation, the rest of the house is being pumped and externally insulated. we want to avoid a cold bridge but note the wall in question with access issue will house all kitchen units cooker, fridge, ovens and run then to a mud room and bathroom in the utility. I'm reluctant to loose a lot of internal space dry lining but want to make sure we will get the grants for all the work so unsure where this leaves me? Is there an alternative or additional method to dry lining. Note the front and rear of garage can and will be externally insulated in this scenario.

Comments

Advertisement