Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda High Viz Jackets?

• 22-09-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi lads and ladies, just putting the feelers out, was just wondering where could I get my hands on one of the flourescent/ high vis overjackets that the Garda Motorcycle Corps wear. I obviously don't want the 'Garda' lettering, but would love myself one of them jackets. Was talking to a Garda Biker before and he said all their gear gets binned after they're commissioned with new gear. If that is the case with the overcoats as-well, does anybody know who supplies the Garda with them? Any ideas? Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

There's actually provision to give them to people second hand. What size are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

I bought one in Cotters in Dublin a few years back - might be worth a try?
    Edit: Presume you mean the waterproof flexothane jackets - that's the one I bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pick yourself up a "Polite" high viz, still makes me double take and I know about them.

http://www.highvisibility.uk.com/?route=product/product&product_id=81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

infacteh wrote: »
    There's actually provision to give them to people second hand. What size are you?

Oh really? I never knew that! I'd say I'd be large anyways. Was only onto templemore a few weeks ago actually, might give them a shout and ask them if there's any available.
    gipi wrote: »
    I bought one in Cotters in Dublin a few years back - might be worth a try?
    Edit: Presume you mean the waterproof flexothane jackets - that's the one I bought

Yeah I spotted them on cotter's site actually, they're a bit too v-neck though that's why I'd want the Garda-style one, they go right up to your chin nearly.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Pick yourself up a "Polite" high viz, still makes me double take and I know about them.

http://www.highvisibility.uk.com/?route=product/product&product_id=81

I've spotted them polite high viz' before actually, think cyclone couriers employ them for use on their courier bikes. Do see a lot of 'em around town and they do scare the bejaysus out of you when you spot one up your arse! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny vid on the "Polite" hi viz here:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^ I subscribe to the Boron on YT, he's got some great clips up and some hilarious commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carolmary

I can't post any links, but google 'Jofama High Vis Jacket', I believe that they are the Garda Jackets.. if not, then they are a very close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

^^^ I subscribe to the Boron on YT, he's got some great clips up and some hilarious commentary.

IF you ever watch Peep Show, he sounds exactly like Jez. Keep thinking it's an episode of it cos it's filmed from a first person angle

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

The RSA give out free high-vis waistcoats, in case that's any good to ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Funny vid on the "Polite" hi viz here:

Hahah lol I love watching Baron, he's hilarious, had a good laugh at that when it came out!
    carolmary wrote: »
    I can't post any links, but google 'Jofama High Vis Jacket', I believe that they are the Garda Jackets.. if not, then they are a very close second.

Will definitely look into that when I'm on the laptop later, at least now I have a few names to work with and know what to be searching for!
    DubVelo wrote: »
    The RSA give out free high-vis waistcoats, in case that's any good to ya?

I've got the vests off RSA before alright but never seen jackets before...

Oh lovely stuff, they're fairly close to what I'm looking for, only thing is I'm looking for one that isn't lined if possible. Most of them are lined, but cheers for that link ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

I had a UK Police one for years. It was actually Gore-Tex fabric, lovely and soft. No lining in the jacket (or at least it wasn't padded) and with the Gore-tex you didn't cook.

These people still sell them, and they'll ship to Ireland:

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/police-uniform-1/genuine-ex-police-hi-vis-jacket-1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I had a UK Police one for years. It was actually Gore-Tex fabric, lovely and soft. No lining in the jacket (or at least it wasn't padded) and with the Gore-tex you didn't cook.

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/police-uniform-1/genuine-ex-police-hi-vis-jacket-1.html

I've heard of that place before, friend of mine got an UK Ex-Police helmet off them I think. Would love a gore tex one, but the majority of them I've seen on the net are like the price of two kidneys!!
    Mesrine65 wrote: »

That's nearly exactly what I'm after, jaysus thanks for all the links lads, wasn't expecting this much! Will have loads to choose from now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Think I might pick one of these up :P Never know when it could come in handy

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/police-uniform-1/stab-balistic-vests/bomb-approach-suit.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Sioen in Donegal makes them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I know it's years old but there's a thread on Irish Biker Forum where a lad was selling these.

Might be worth shooting him a PM to see where he got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I got one from ebay, but it's a bit bulky. I like it because it's warm and dry.

Old thread about this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057140102&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

bomb_suit.jpg

just get one of these bomb approach suits :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

DJDylan106 wrote: »

I've spotted them polite high viz' before actually, think cyclone couriers employ them for use on their courier bikes. Do see a lot of 'em around town and they do scare the bejaysus out of you when you spot one up your arse! :rolleyes:

Until you realize our Police are called Gardai and not Police or 'Polite' for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Partaí

Pataman wrote: »
    Sioen in Donegal makes them

Was just doing some more in depth research there today and found that out myself as well, have seen some of the sioen stuff before and some of them are very similar. Always had me wondering was it them that made 'em!:rolleyes:
    bomb_suit.jpg

just get one of these bomb approach suits :cool:

I'd say you'd get some sketchy looks going round town with that on! But each to there own I suppose hahah I'm sure somebody has done it at some stage!
    Partaí

Partaí... Gardaí.... Same thing!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just saw Portwest at the Ploughing Championships ........may have something to suit you :

http://www.portwest.ie/workwear/hi-visibility/jackets

Just saw Portwest at the Ploughing Championships ........may have something to suit you :

http://www.portwest.ie/workwear/hi-visibility/jackets

Oh lovely stuff, cheers for that mate! Some nice gear on their site actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Until you realize our Police are called Gardai and not Police or 'Polite' for that matter

That's the whole point of the "Polite" high viz make them look at you to make sure you aren't the Polizei, as that's illegal, then hopefully they won't pull out in front of you or run you off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's the whole point of the "Polite" high viz make them look at you to make sure you aren't the Polizei, as that's illegal, then hopefully they won't pull out in front of you or run you off the road.

I'm well aware of that, just pointing out (and I 've done it myself) you see the high-viz from a distance with the 'P' lettering and it needs a double take to remember they're not called Police here anyway.....or maybe it's from my time living in England that catches me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Does anyone use the hi-viz belt/strap? Are they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I have one of these, great piece of kit...

71bCwreKegL._UX385_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They are only as good as people who "want to see them". In saying that, used with black leathers/textiles and a white lid would often give the illusion to some that you look like a Garda and make them see you when they normally wouldnt notice perhaps?

• Advertisement

I actually do wear one of them mate. I find them very good, very reflective at night and as said above, when worn with a black 2 piece, people think twice when they see ya coming because they think you're traffic corps.

Advertisement