Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best coffee cake in limerick?

• 22-09-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Since ivans can't get the original coffer cake recipe. Can anyone recommend something similar in limerick thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

O'Connors used to do a brilliant coffee cake, I haven't had it in years but it was the nicest I've ever had but saying that I haven't had many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Bean an ti best coffee cake in town hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

As said above O'Connors , Bean an Ti , or even Quigleys , but taste is subjective , in my family alone some prefer one from those 3 and some prefer one of the others . If you are ever passing through Charleville though stop in to Brudoirs ( spelling ? ) on the main street , they do a lovely coffee cake .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Maybe check with Zest above EZ Living if they do any? We've had divine cakes and cupcakes from them albeit I haven't had a coffee cake from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭squonk

+1 for O'Connors. It's a great cake. I'm not sure if you're looking for a slice of cake in a cafe somewhere OP or the full thing but I find a close second to O'Connors is the Ryans of Tipperary one. It's ahlf the price of the O'Connors one and pretty nice. You can get them in the Spar on Henry St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

ongarboy wrote: »
    Maybe check with Zest above EZ Living if they do any? We've had divine cakes and cupcakes from them albeit I haven't had a coffee cake from them.

I don't think I've seen coffee cake in Zest but *my God* they make the best cakes. The pound cakes are all amazing, especially the chocolate hazelnut one. They're also so inexpensive.

There's another Zest nearer town, by the way - in the gallery on the corner of People's Park and they seem to have all of the same stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Thanks for all the replies, I'm gonna have to get a cake soon from any of the named shops.

I am very excited

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks for all the replies, I'm gonna have to get a cake soon from any of the named shops.

I am very excited

Treat yourself to a fresh cream coffee slice in O'connor while you're in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Bean an Ti!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I remember when I was younger we used to have coffee cake from The Danes Bakery and it was amazing, haven't had anything as nice since!
    Does anyone know are they still open??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Skuxx wrote:
    I remember when I was younger we used to have coffee cake from The Danes Bakery and it was amazing, haven't had anything as nice since! Does anyone know are they still open??

Danes is still open, always order the chocolate maderia cake for birthdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ivans.....still the best coffee cake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Tried Ivans nothing like old place not a patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Try Zest, near the People's Park. They do Top quality cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I love Quigleys, especially the little coffee iced fondants. Sometimes they are obviously sitting around for a few days though. If you get them fresh they are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

So glad I found this thread, am looking for a "new" coffee cake until Ivans find the original recipe. It was always a tradition in our house, last we had it was at my fathers 'wake' so it was very special for a lot of people.

Just if anyone fancies trying it out, Clodagh McKenna has an amazing and simple recipe for one. Think of the satisfaction youd get from eating something you made yourself!

Just as an aside, the cakes in Ivan's are amazing. Ive gotten hooked on their chocolate eclairs and their pain au chocolat are just like what you'd get from a French bakery

Advertisement