Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of graduate jobs in the chimical/pharmaceutical ector

Options
  • 22-09-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    I have been searching job boards in Ireland for the past 2 weeks and have noticed that there is a significant lack of graduate jobs if any in the chemical and pharmaceutical sector. People say we are the leading country for science yet Irish graduates cannot find jobs here unless they come top of their class.

Many of the jobs require 1-2 yrs experience and since most are put through a recruitment agency your CV probably never gets seen by the actual employer.

Am I just looking in the wrong places or are others noticing this problem. I am strongly considering emigrating which is another topic where people say that people are coming back to the country. To me this seems false as many of many old classmates are considering the same thing.

Thoughts or advice anyone? Apart from keep at it and something will turn up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paddle Time

Just noticed my spelling errors in the title sorry for that my keyboard plays up some times.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't know what type of graduates you are referring to but I am working with a number of graduate engineers. A large portion of the work that I have been involved with is in the pharmaceutical sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Crying out for them in Cork.
    We can't hang on to them.
    PM me if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

J+J in limerick were looking for Fresh Grads, as were many companies in Galway/Sligo region.

The jobs I am refering to are scientist jobs not engineering etc. This would stuff like analytical work or research work in a laboratory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

2 weeks is too early to start panicking m8

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Well i looked for close to a year for PhD positions in the pharma sector and had zero luck! Ended up leaving in the end but still considering going back for the right position!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

2 weeks is very short. When I finished college it back in the early 90s it took me nearly a year to land a "proper" job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why not apply anyhow for the more junior roles especially? You've nothing to loose. Often at entry level, employers over emphasise the experience thing to their detriment. For me, enthusiasm, willingness to learn are far more important virtues for graduate entry. What good is someone with a few years experience with no drive?
    Did you perhaps have a work exp module at all which you could sell as experience?

Im speaking from experience btw, having recruited one or two experienced turkeys, so set in their ways and unwilling to work well in a team or do what's expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well i looked for close to a year for PhD positions in the pharma sector and had zero luck! Ended up leaving in the end but still considering going back for the right position!

Not exactly a typical graduate position.

Yeah I am applying to junior jobs anyway and even had one company ring me saying I was too inexperienced. I just said there's no graduate jobs and if I don't apply to stuff I will never get a job. I wont name and shame the company here.

Thing is with recruitment agencies ( and I know a friend who works in one) if you don't have experience your CV never sees the employer at all. I'm not panicking by any means I was just saying it's very annoying people say there's loads of jobs for your degree when there is not as a graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Hi paddle time! I'm working in the pharmaceutical sector in Dublin and we are constantly recruiting! If you want any info just pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Yeah I am applying to junior jobs anyway and even had one company ring me saying I was too inexperienced. I just said there's no graduate jobs and if I don't apply to stuff I will never get a job. I wont name and shame the company here.

Thing is with recruitment agencies ( and I know a friend who works in one) if you don't have experience your CV never sees the employer at all. I'm not panicking by any means I was just saying it's very annoying people say there's loads of jobs for your degree when there is not as a graduate.

when I was switching fields, I was applying to entry/graduate jobs. Considering that I had more exposure to the field via my old roles, I covered 90% of the requirements and minus the degree in mathematical field I was still getting amusing generic emails about how they found a graduate more qualified than me :D

So don't hang your hat yet ;)

Why would you say this? Cringe!
    In that case, you should have immediately pointed out your positives and what skills make you suitable- even without vast experience. That just sounds like applying for the sake of it. They don't owe you a job (name and shame??), you need to illustrate why you would fit in and how much value you will add to their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah I am applying to junior jobs anyway and even had one company ring me saying I was too inexperienced.

Of course you should be applying for junior jobs - that is the type of job you will get! What experience do you actually have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

cml387 wrote: »
    Crying out for them in Cork.
    We can't hang on to them.
    PM me if interested.

What type of jobs? Microbiology?

The title of the thread says clearly I am looking for stuff in the Chemical Pharmaceutical sector. Mainly lab analyst/QC etc roles.

Microbiology is biology.....

I have a 6 month placement as part of my course working as a clinical analyst on in-vitro medical devices. Primarily on a diagnostics kit. I can't say much more as parts of it were in R&D. As part of this however I performed a large amount of QC and also stability testing. Qualitative and quantitative testing for efficiency of the method was also researched in order to improve the speed of the QC with the same results.

I was also part of developing a master validation plan for the clinical lab which I believe is still in use after I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Would you consider working in the UK for a year or two? I worked in pharma in the UK- the Irish office of that company has 4 people doing the job of 40 in our UK office so there are loads more opportunities there.

I have actually been looking in Manchester for jobs also as I have personal reasons for going over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bambi93

Hi paddletime, as a recent science graduate i am also looking at entry level jobs in the biopharma industry and have had no luck as of yet.i would be interested in relocating to the UK if needs be.Just wondering what job websites are you looking at or are you contacting any recruitment agencies over there.

For the UK the only sites that seem even halfway active are reed.co.uk or monster. But for me not much goes up as I am only looking for Manchester over there at the moment.

Irish wise I'm using irishjobs.ie which seems to be very active.

Advertisement