Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet for college work...Surface 3 or Galaxy Note?

Options
  • 22-09-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I badly need a tablet for college work. As in taking notes during class. Highly detailed mathematical notes.

I've never owned a tablet so I have no idea what's the best option in my situation. It really is primarily for notes during class and then working with equations in the office, and browsing the net. I won't be watching film or playing games on it.

So which one out of the Surface 3 and the Galaxy Note would be most suitable? Should I consider Pro versions? What about 10 inch vs 12 inch screen sizes?

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Any looking deciding which to get?

Im doing accounting and looking for a tablet that I can neatly do math and accounting on with as much ease as possible.

Unfortunately, for some reason much of the 8 inch and cheaper branded tablets geared towards taking notes don't seem to be available in Europe for some reason.

Looks like the surface 3 is probably the best option from quality, reliability and performance from what iver researched. Not cheap though and €559 was cheapest I seen it online and still another €40 for the pen for the surface.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If the budget can allow I'd say the Surface 3. It can run all Windows x86/x64 software so would be useful if there are specific programs you may need. Also keep in mind the surface keyboards come at an extra cost.
    I had also looked at the Tab S previously when I was on the fence about getting a new android tablet. I don't like Samsung's customized Android however so I didn't go for it in the end. But as a tablet it seemed to be pretty good value for the spec.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Hi Folks,

On a related topic does anyone know is the Surface Pro 3 able to run SolidWorks?

Just the student version.

Cheers,
    NBD.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Nabidana wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

On a related topic does anyone know is the Surface Pro 3 able to run SolidWorks?

Just the student version.

Cheers,
    NBD.

Seems to work ok according to this post here

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Thanks yoyo.

I actually had a typo there. My question should have been

"On a related topic does anyone know is the Surface Pro 4 able to run SolidWorks?"

The Surface Pro 4 comes with this chip - ark.intel.com/products/91497/Intel-Core-i7-6650U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

I think!

Ah I wouldn't be using it a whole pile anyway. Couple of hours a week form some basic drawings is all. Say it'd be grand.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement