Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tight, solid poo?

• 22-09-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi there

So our 17 month old kid is having tight, solid poops for the last couple days, 2-3 times a day. It's like rabbit poop and dry.

Is there any over-the-counter medication to make her have softer stool? Or any other tricks (specific food etc.) to achieve this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

murfilein wrote: »
    Hi there

So our 17 month old kid is having tight, solid poops for the last couple days, 2-3 times a day. It's like rabbit poop and dry.

Is there any over-the-counter medication to make her have softer stool? Or any other tricks (specific food etc.) to achieve this?

My daughter always had this throughout her nappy days, never made any difference to anything. Compared to her older brother the difference was chalk and cheese. (Almost literally sometimes on both sides) She is perfectly healthy and not a moments sleep was lost by anyone. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Plenty of water. Ensure they drink lots.
    Pears are great for softening the bowels. Try oranges either
    Keep clear of bananas or too much dairy if constipated.
    Brown bread /wheetabix at that age is easy to eat.
    See how that goes then consider other methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Kiwis & pears always did it for our lad, as well as loads of water. You can get duphalac in the chemist but you should only use it if more natural methods don't work. Try prunes chopped up in porridge as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Sorry for the long post, I agree with avoiding banana and dairy. White potato too can cause tummy problems so try sweet potato instead. Also avoid cooked fruits like apples as the pectin increases with cooking and will constipate her.

A little bit of background... My girl is 10 months, she always had very dry stools too, about 2 months ago I got a nutribullet, her dad is coeliac and I can't eat dairy, the nutramigen that the hospital gave us after treatment for too little weight gain made her puke so we put her on sma lactose free formula, there was enough dairy to give her some eczema and constipation, I am breastfeeding too but she's always strained, to the point of tears, to poo.

Using raw foods with the nutribullet, such as spinach, broccoli, carrot, apple (discovered pear and orange and banana exacerbated the eczema) then throwing in things like maca powder, Chia seeds, gogi berries, raw cashew nuts, raw cacao, flax seeds, acai powder, a spoonful of raw coconut oil and spirallina. Oh my God the difference!  she drinks about a 4oz glass every morning, that's breakfast. Lol, it looks like muck but it's really nice. Followed by a 7oz formula and almond milk mix. She has a 6oz beaker of water with lunch. The difference is amazing. She no longer strains and her eczema is completely cleared. I discussed it with the gp and he said the raw stuff was a great idea, both he and the phn can't believe the difference in her.

Constipation is diet related. An over the counter medicine is a cure, better for the long run to find the cause. A food diary will help as there might be days where it's not as bad and you will be able to see a pattern over time with what she's eating.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

thanks for all your answers!!

how much do your kids drink throughout the day? i'm pretty confident that our girl just doenst drink enough, but i havent measured it till now. it always seemed ok and she would come to me or mom when she wanted to drink. now that she drinks out of a suck-bottle by herself, i will start observing how much water she actually drinks in a day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Bellablu2011

dulphalic works great as a stool softener. My lb is on it as he tends to hold it in if stool is anyway hard. A teaspoon a day works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Burkie_Fi

Used to have the same problem with my little boy so I do keep an eye on his water in take. Smoothies are great too though and I agree that while bananas are a handy snack they do back them up a bit.
    I first noticed that the problem started after he had an anti-biotic so I give him a bio-kult sachet in milk or yoghurt. It's basically a pro-biotic and helps to re balance enzymes in their little tummies. It does help along with water & their diet being right for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

dulphalic works great as a stool softener. My lb is on it as he tends to hold it in if stool is anyway hard. A teaspoon a day works wonders.

thanks, duphalac seems like its working. she had notably softer poo the last couple days.
    Burkie_Fi wrote: »
    Used to have the same problem with my little boy so I do keep an eye on his water in take. Smoothies are great too though and I agree that while bananas are a handy snack they do back them up a bit.
    I first noticed that the problem started after he had an anti-biotic so I give him a bio-kult sachet in milk or yoghurt. It's basically a pro-biotic and helps to re balance enzymes in their little tummies. It does help along with water & their diet being right for them.

yes we are trying to have her drink more water too. might try these bio yogurts soon as well.

Advertisement