Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs clashing with each other

• 22-09-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just hoping somebody might have some advice or information for me regarding an incident today.

I walked my dog (springador, female, just under 2 years old) with my friend who has a male doberman (8 months old).

For some reason the two constantly clashed and went for each other, they had to be pulled apart. This is the second time they've clashed too. My dog has never ever reacted like this under any circumstances with any other dog. She is the most harmless and gentle dog you could meet ( lab/springer mix), and the doberman is the same, lovely natured dog.

The Doberman was thankfully muzzled and couldn't try and bite back, even at 8 months he dwarfs her. My dog appeared to be threatned from the get go, the hairs on her back were standing up and she was very weary of him when he came close to her.

Does anyone know why she would react like this, is it a male/female thing ? Regardless it wasn't nice to watch at all and as previously said she's never been like this with any other dogs, plays with all types of dogs just about on the daily as I walk her on the beach most days.

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Some dogs just don't like each other.

Ever just met a person at a party and thought "Friggin' hell - I don't know what it is about yer man, but he really gets on my wick?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Some dogs just don't like each other.

Ever just met a person at a party and thought "Friggin' hell - I don't know what it is about yer man, but he really gets on my wick?"

Yes plenty a time :pac:. Strange though to see her act like that. Turned into a different dog, never seen her show her teeth like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yes plenty a time :pac:. Strange though to see her act like that. Turned into a different dog, never seen her show her teeth like that.

Yeah it can be very shocking, especially if you've had the owner convinced it wouldn't happen. Our pup was very well mixed at the beginning with small and large dogs both on and off the lead. Then one day he met a bull breed pup quarter his size and the two of them went to fisticuffs! I was so careful with his interactions after that, was so embarrassed and couldn't understand it. He met a female dog shortly afterwards and was all wags!

Some dogs only like small/large dogs, some prefer males/females. My MIL's dog only mixes with long-haired dogs and will snap at short-haired ones! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that dogs have a hard time reading the body language of black dogs and dogs without tails, therefore are subject to more attacks. Was this a docked black doberman? Has your dog seen a dog wearing a muzzle before? That also could've spooked her perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Do they clash immediately or some time into the walk? If it's immediately it would be worth getting you and your friend to walk opposite sides and walk towards each other. See if one of them 'triggers' take the one that triggers back away and repeat until you can get closer and closer. It'll take time and patience, but it should help both dogs for future encounters with similar dogs or similar dog greeting behaviours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that dogs have a hard time reading the body language of black dogs and dogs without tails, therefore are subject to more attacks. Was this a docked black doberman? Has your dog seen a dog wearing a muzzle before? That also could've spooked her perhaps

Yes the Doberman's tail is docked alright, could be the reason why. It's not the muzzle as the first time they met he was without one and they fought again.

@stevire... My dog goes for him, so I guess she's the aggressor. Anytime he goes up to sniff her or just approachs she loses it and attacks, and ofcourse rightfully so the Doberman fights back.

It's a shame because both dog's are lovely, well tempered animals. I guess the best thing to do is not walk them together anymore. My dog is a rescue dog too btw. I got her when she was 6 months old, so maybe it could of potentially triggered something, I'm really not sure.

I just saw her in a different light, never taught she'd react like that. Even my vet said it countless times of how relaxed and well natured she is, just a typical frendily lab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is the dobie snapping back at her or just crowding her and she's reacting to that? I wonder if she's a bit afraid of him but also 'putting manners on him' (albeit going overboard) because he's a clueless puppy and she's that bit older - although my girl is 2 and still very very playful with puppies? As others have said - some dogs just don't get along. There's nothing wrong with that and your dog isn't being bold - it's just the way it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was thinking along the same lines as Zapperzy, docked and possibly ear cropped and your girl may have misinterpreted the body language? Apart from the unnecessary pain dogs have to go through to be mutilated for purely aesthetic reasons, the fact that other dogs can't read their body language and misinterprets their signals is another reason that its now illegal in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I have never heard about that with the tail docking etc!! Curious though, could dogs still not pick up their body language even with a docked tail? I would assume because you can still see it wag or tuck between their legs etc that it would still be obvious to other dogs, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ashbx wrote: »
    I have never heard about that with the tail docking etc!! Curious though, could dogs still not pick up their body language even with a docked tail? I would assume because you can still see it wag or tuck between their legs etc that it would still be obvious to other dogs, no?

Not really - think of a boxer with a cropped tail; could you, from a distance and without the benefit of a human brain, tell whether that boxer has his nub in the air or down? I imagine it's like trying to read sign language done by someone who's missing half the fingers on one hand; there are some things that they just can't say properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

kylith wrote: »
    Not really - think of a boxer with a cropped tail; could you, from a distance and without the benefit of a human brain, tell whether that boxer has his nub in the air or down? I imagine it's like trying to read sign language done by someone who's missing half the fingers on one hand; there are some things that they just can't say properly.

Yeah true! Its something I never even considered with dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I've met very few Boxers who were good with other dogs, often it's not only their lack of tail but also their face/expression is harder to read. I think it's very easy for Boxers to have negative experiences with other dogs, in turn many Boxers aren't very good or social with other dogs. But just my experience though!

mufcboy1999 - before either dogs get near each other, is one of them coming on very strong/eager to meet the other dog? Perhaps coming off very intense? Different breeds have such different ways of behaving when greeting other dogs, it's often easy to forget how unique individuals/breeds are from one another (size, colour, body structure, stance, expression), dogs notice it more than humans do.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 YesPlease

Could it be that the pup is not just crowding her but you? My own dog is a rescue who was older than yours when we got her but she's about the same age now and she's mostly fine with dogs unless they start looking for attention from me. She gets very jealous then & overreacts! We think it's because i'm her main source of the security she didn't have before so she's afraid of another dog muscling in. Could it be something like that?

Advertisement