Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubble wrap Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Better suited to Dublin city I think. Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

http://www.alpack.ie/BW36/Default.743.html

If you can get out to Sandyford, this is great stuff. I got a roll for my folks when they moved this year, and the roll practically never ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That argos roll is very expensive. This crowd are in Dublin 12 and also sell once used boxes so cheaper than buying new if you need boxes too:

http://www.boxdepot.ie/Bubblewrap/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

cormie wrote: »
    That argos roll is very expensive. This crowd are in Dublin 12 and also sell once used boxes so cheaper than buying new if you need boxes too:

http://www.boxdepot.ie/Bubblewrap/

Thanks all, yeah, as suspected argos is a rip off.
    Do these lads in Dublin 12 have a shop you can go to ?

I don't know wheter to get the 375, 500 or 750 mm width, any thoughts ?

It's not a shop, it's a warehouse. You'd need to ring in advance to see if someone will be there. They deliver aswell though.

What are you going to be using it for wrapping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I thought this thread was about wrapping Dublin in bubble wrap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

dutopia wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about wrapping Dublin in bubble wrap.

It is

It's not a shop, it's a warehouse. You'd need to ring in advance to see if someone will be there. They deliver aswell though.

What are you going to be using it for wrapping?

Thanks
    Any idea of delivery costs.

We are moving house and just need bubble wrap to wrap stuff in so as to not damage them during transit

It says they would deliver it for €8. Check the website I think it has all the info :)

What kind of stuff are you wrapping though? Just plates and other smaller things or furniture too? For large pieces of furniture you'd be better off using pallet wrap like this: http://www.boxdepot.ie/add-products/palletwrap.html

or if you wanted to be extremely cautious, put furniture blankets over the pieces and then pallet wrap them, but this wouldn't really be necessary and your furniture should be fine with less protection if handled and loaded carefully.

It says they would deliver it for €8. Check the website I think it has all the info :)

What kind of stuff are you wrapping though? Just plates and other smaller things or furniture too? For large pieces of furniture you'd be better off using pallet wrap like this: http://www.boxdepot.ie/add-products/palletwrap.html

or if you wanted to be extremely cautious, put furniture blankets over the pieces and then pallet wrap them, but this wouldn't really be necessary and your furniture should be fine with less protection if handled and loaded carefully.

cormie, it will be a mixture of everything , furniture, plates etc etc

but pallet wrap would not really offer much protection would it ?

• Advertisement

Pallet wrap offers adequate protection for furniture pieces if it's wrapped well and the furniture is handled carefully during the move and secured safely for transit. It looks like cling film, but it's much stronger and much quicker to wrap something in than using bubble wrap. It also gives a much tighter wrap so keeps drawers and doors etc closed. You can get a good level of padding with a few layers. For the plates and other delicates, bubble wrap would be better.

Pallet wrap offers adequate protection for furniture pieces if it's wrapped well and the furniture is handled carefully during the move and secured safely for transit. It looks like cling film, but it's much stronger and much quicker to wrap something in than using bubble wrap. It also gives a much tighter wrap so keeps drawers and doors etc closed. You can get a good level of padding with a few layers. For the plates and other delicates, bubble wrap would be better.

ah ok, have ya now.

is 100 metres of bubble wrap over kill or will I find myself using most of it.

Its a 2 bed apartment.

It's impossible to tell that I'm afraid :) Depends how much stuff you have and how delicate things are. I've moved plenty of people who have packed their own boxes and not used any bubble wrap and had no breakages. Wrapping and protection is all about minimising the risk of damage. Damage is not a guarantee without it if you have careful movers but of course it's best to protect things well.

Equally, if not more important is the quality of boxes you use so they can be stacked safely in the van and the weight a box will have on top of it won't crumple it in. Seal the boxes well with strong tape and try have all boxes closed with no protrusions. The double wall boxes are much better than single wall.

It's impossible to tell that I'm afraid :) Depends how much stuff you have and how delicate things are. I've moved plenty of people who have packed their own boxes and not used any bubble wrap and had no breakages. Wrapping and protection is all about minimising the risk of damage. Damage is not a guarantee without it if you have careful movers but of course it's best to protect things well.

Equally, if not more important is the quality of boxes you use so they can be stacked safely in the van and the weight a box will have on top of it won't crumple it in. Seal the boxes well with strong tape and try have all boxes closed with no protrusions. The double wall boxes are much better than single wall.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful, pallet wrap never entered my head, but it will be very useful.

Its hard to gauge what length ill need.

based on your experience, do you thing the 375, 500 or 750 mm would suit my needs best.

Would one roll or pallet wrap be ok ?

sorry for silly questions

500m bubble wrap would probably be fine, how much you need of bubble wrap and pallet wrap totally depends on what you need to protect. For example if you want to wrap each mattress in pallet wrap to keep it clean you could and this could use up quite a lot of it, but if it's going into a clean van this shouldn't be necessary,. You could probably sell on or give away any unused material easy enough if you end up getting too much. Then again, next working day delivery is only €8 nationwide so you could just buy 1 roll of each and see how you get on and if you need more, delivery would be less than the loss you'd make selling any excess.

500m bubble wrap would probably be fine, how much you need of bubble wrap and pallet wrap totally depends on what you need to protect. For example if you want to wrap each mattress in pallet wrap to keep it clean you could and this could use up quite a lot of it, but if it's going into a clean van this shouldn't be necessary,. You could probably sell on or give away any unused material easy enough if you end up getting too much. Then again, next working day delivery is only €8 nationwide so you could just buy 1 roll of each and see how you get on and if you need more, delivery would be less than the loss you'd make selling any excess.

Thanks again for your answers and patience !!

No problem, best of luck with the move :)

No problem, best of luck with the move :)

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

obi604 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can buy bubble wrap in Dublin for relatively cheap.

I got some once in a furniture shop for free, they were throwing it out as some of their furniture came wrapped it in. Try you local furniture shop(s)?

Advertisement