Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Landlord Reference

Options
  • 23-09-2015 7:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm just after a bit of advice.

I'm currently looking for an apartment for myself - however the problem is I don't have a landlord reference.

I've only ever lived at home up until last year however I moved into an apartment with my partner. We stayed in the apartment for 11 of the 12 months lease agreement, but we broke up, moved out and obviously broke the lease.

I have been given a terrific reference from work, and found a really nice apartment, but just heard from the letting company that the landlord is nervous that I won't stay the full 12 months, and this could be the stumbling block that sees me not getting the apartment.

I've heard stories of people giving their mother as a reference and using her maiden name, also getting a friend to act as a reference.

I didn't think not having a landlord reference would be such a big deal breaker as I have my deposit, rent and, as I said, a really good work reference.

Any advice kindly appreciated

Comments

For a start I would just say you have been living at home up to now and don't mention the fact you have rented and don't have a reference.

If you what to create a reference rather than do the above thats a decision you will have to make yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Robot

For a start I would just say you have been living at home up to now and don't mention the fact you have rented and don't have a reference.

If you what to create a reference rather than do the above thats a decision you will have to make yourself.

I'm 28 though, is it really plausible that I've never rented before, from a landlords perspective?

Mr Robot wrote: »
    I'm 28 though, is it really plausible that I've never rented before, from a landlords perspective?

Certainly plausible, I have friends in their late 20's/early 30's who still live at home and some who are only moving out of home now that they bought their own place or got married and bought with their spouse. It's not uncommon for people to still be living at home at your age if they work close to home.

Some people bought young also and never rented so if they were now looking to rent they would have no reference either.

Certainly plausible, I have friends in their late 20's/early 30's who are only moving out of home now that they bought their own place or got married and bought with their spouse and its not uncommon for people to still be living at home at your age if they work close to home, certainly not in my circle of friends anyway as I know a number who still are at around 30.

Some people bought young also and never rented so if they were now looking to rent they would have no reference either.

Thanks for that :)

Some hope at least! I hear back this lunchtime if they've decided to rent it to me, but if I'm unsuccessful, I will just go with the never rented before line.

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had this trouble when I was looking for a place earlier in the year. My experience is that since there is generally a queue of people with references, they wont even look at you. But from what you've said, perhaps you're a little closer to sealing the deal already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As a LL, I would be nervous about renting to you if this was the case: I would assume that you've not learned to do housework and are used to having mammy running around behind cleaning up after you.

This may be unfair, of course. But it is what I would assume.

As a LL, I would be nervous about renting to you if this was the case: I would assume that you've not learned to do housework and are used to having mammy running around behind cleaning up after you.

God no :D That couldn't be further from the truth

Parents lived abroad for a number of years, it's been just me and my bro from 19+ onwards in our house, parents are back now so I'm finding my own place, however I'm a domestic god when it comes to cooking, cleaning and washing etc

Get your bro to give you a reference then.

Get your bro to give you a reference then.

It's not actually a landlord reference though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

How is this relevant? All that matters is that the house is clean when the person leaves. I have seen houses of fourth year students from the country and 4 years living outside the home. Yet they still cant clean. In my experience someones age and time they have left their home is no reflection of their cleaning ability.

OP get your employer to write a letter. Such as "John Smith is an excellent employee. He has worked here for 4 years.He is reliable and hard workign etc etc". I think a 28 year old with no references is far better than a 19 year old with no references.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Years ago I started renting and the landlord insisted on me having a reference. I got my friend to write one. I suppose, in the strictest sense, it was fraudulent but as I didn't accrue any financial benefit, in fact I was the one "losing" money, I was willing to take my chance I wouldn't get locked up.

It's not actually a landlord reference though?

Choose the wording carefully, and it will look like one without strictly telling any lies.

Thanks guys and girls :)

Advertisement