Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Return on Rental Income

Options
  • 23-09-2015 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm filling out a tax return for rental income for the first time.

I had a tenant in the apt for two months before I registered with the PRTB. During this time I spent around 1,500e on renovations. Can I put this against my tax liability even though I had not registered with PRTB?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm filling out a tax return for rental income for the first time.

I had a tenant in the apt for two months before I registered with the PRTB. During this time I spent around 1,500e on renovations. Can I put this against my tax liability even though I had not registered with PRTB?

Thanks in advance

So you told lies to the PRTB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is the 2014 tax return I assume, as that's what is due now. Last year?

I don't see why not. I had tenants before the PRTB existed, and I don't think I registered with them the second they appeared. Revenue is a separate entity. Declare your taxes and on you go.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

Pre letting expenses aren't allowable it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. They don't check on timing, they just check you're registered. It's more important to have an audit trail of the income proving the tenant was paying during the time you incurred the expenses.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

Pre letting expenses aren't allowable it seems.

Its not a pre-letting expense, he was let just not PRTB registered.

The PRTB have nothing to do with tax so just fill out your tax return taking into account income and expenses from the first day the tenant moved in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The PRTB have nothing to do with tax so just fill out your tax return taking into account income and expenses from the first day the tenant moved in.

I agree with the 2nd paragraph, but "renovations" per se aren't allowable against rental income regardless of when they were incurred.

Have a read of the Revenue's publication for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

The PRTB have plenty to do with tax. If you're not registered you can't avail of the interest allowance for tax purposes. na!

Advertisement