Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You will always find me in the Kitchen at Parties

• 23-09-2015 8:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

There are photos all over the papers of some of the Dublin team drinking in the boars head with the sam maguire cup on Monday morning while people were on their way to work.

Am I alone in thinking that to drink all night (literally until 9/10am) the next day is a shocking bad example to our young people coming up the ranks.

Also that afternoon the team did their traditional visit to Crumlin hospital with the cup. Jesus they must have stank of drink. While it's a really nice custom surely it might be better to wait until a day when some of them hadn't been drinking for 18 hours previously.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hope they enjoyed themselves.

Well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm not a fan of Dublin at all but would you get down off that high horse for Christ sake. They aren't even paid for what they do and they can drink for the entire month if they want. It's their own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sure, of course anyone can drink for a month if they want. But I don't think anyone could say that's a good thing to do.
    As for someone in the public eye...what kind of example is that setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They must have sacrificed their entire social lives to get to that point, month after month and year after year of training every day and living like a professional just to stay in the team, never mind go on and win the thing.

I can only imagine the release you would feel after finally reaching the target. Some people might go off and take some time to let it sink in, while others want to celebrate long and hard while they have the chance. Who are you to tell them they shouldn't be doing it? For gods sake, they are amateur sportsmen, can you not stop worrying about the kids for one night at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's like so offensive and disrespectful.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

amdublin wrote: »
    As for someone in the public eye...what kind of example is that setting.

Work hard..play hard

what kind of example is that setting.

Who gives a toss what example it sets? Who decided it was their job to set an example in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I heard the Irish Sports Council picked up the tab too, as the Dublin players laughed about Philly's plan to steal teddy bears from the sick children in crumlin hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

They were in a pub, not outside it, or running around Capel St. If the media choose to publish photos at a private event to get a "shock-horror" reaction, then I'd be blaming the papers for printing the photos, not the players for drinking. Seems to be scraping the barrel to get a cheap story.

Not sure if the players who went to the hospitals are the same lads but so long as they weren't p1ssed in front of the kids it doesn't matter. Who was to go to which hospital would be sorted out well in advance so it may not have been the same lads. I would also trust GAA staff or hospital staff to sort out anyone who was drunk as well.

You'd be surprised how much you can be carried on an adrenaline rush after winning a trophy like that, can easily last for a few days so I doubt they were too knackered on Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

amdublin wrote:
    Sure, of course anyone can drink for a month if they want. But I don't think anyone could say that's a good thing to do. As for someone in the public eye...what kind of example is that setting.

That is a ridiculous viewpoint in my opinion. Just my opinion of course.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    They were in a pub, not outside it, or running around Capel St. If the media choose to publish photos at a private event to get a "shock-horror" reaction, then I'd be blaming the papers for printing the photos, not the players for drinking. Seems to be scraping the barrel to get a cheap story.

Not sure if the players who went to the hospitals are the same lads but so long as they weren't p1ssed in front of the kids it doesn't matter. Who was to go to which hospital would be sorted out well in advance so it may not have been the same lads. I would also trust GAA staff or hospital staff to sort out anyone who was drunk as well.

You'd be surprised how much you can be carried on an adrenaline rush after winning a trophy like that, can easily last for a few days so I doubt they were too knackered on Monday or Tuesday.

Think they were outside the pub...

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/video-dublin-players-party-hard-after-tough-all-ireland-victory-31544760.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There are photos all over the papers of the dam maguire and some of the Dublin team drinking in the boars head on Monday morning while people were on their way to work.

Am I alone in thinking that to drink all night (literally until 9/10am) the next day is a shocking bad example to our young people coming up the ranks.

Also that afternoon the team did their traditional visit to Crumlin hospital with the cup. Jesus they must have stank of drink. While it's a really nice custom surely it might be better to wait until a day when some of them hadn't been drinking for 18 hours previously.

The team sacrificed an awful lot, let them enjoy themselves however they want once it legal. Also, an awful lot of the players wouldn't drink alcohol at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wellmade2040

You really don't seem to understand how hard and long those players train- how much they sacrifice on a daily weekly monthly and yearly basis, and for one day when accomplishing one of the biggest things in Irish sport- hell even world sport , they decide to celebrate a massive achievement? Who are you to try and say they should do otherwise ?

Agree it's legal. And of course everyone deserves a few drinks. But 18 hours drinking. What happened going to coppers and home in the wee hours of the morning. Now it's drinking past the wee hours into the working hours of the next morning.
    It just feels incredibly excessive and frankly wrong to me.

I'm not trying to say or tell anyone anything. I'm just questioning is it the right thing to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I can't imagine much drink was taken, imho it's a tradition.

I am not from Dublin but I have a young cousin that is seriously ill in temple street and the work some of the players do with those kids, far beyond the photo calls is phenomenal.

My little cousin has his whole house done in the Dublin colours for the matches and his parents don't mind cos of the wonderful help and lift the players have given him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm not trying to say or tell anyone anything. I'm just questioning is it the right thing to be doing.

According to the gospel of who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yes 100% through right thing. The last drink these lads would have had was probably last Christmas. Why is it wrong for them to celebrate? They've dedicated their lives to regaining that trophy and Sunday night Monday morning was just the tip of the iceberg. They've got bigger parties to come. And good luck to them. I hope they enjoy it. And all that coming from a Kerry man.

Get off your high horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Also, where are you getting 18 hours? They were on the Sunday game in that Gibson hotel until close to midnight and those photos were at 9.30 am so that's roughly 10 hours. They wouldn't have been drinking too hard at the hotel because of live television so stop exaggerating.

Did they stop serving drink or something juring this live television show? Why would you not drink then but drink later on?

I'm really not trying to be on a high horse here.

There are many many sports (if not all) where people give up drink for a long time. But you don't see photos of the winner of Wimbledon still drinking while people are going to work the next day. Does no one at all think this is excessive?

• Advertisement

Yes you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Did they stop serving drink or something juring this live television show? Why would you not drink then but drink later on?

There are many many sports (if not all) where people give up drink for a long time. But you don't see photos of the winner of Wimbledon still drinking while people are going to work the next day. Does no one at all think this is excessive?

Yeah paid sportsstars tend to rent a multi million yacht or a private island and let loose there away from the public . Perhaps you'd be willing to donate your money towards a similar cause for our GAA All Ireland winners in order to set a good example whatever the f*ck you mean by that.

Yes you are.

Ok. We will have to agree to disagree on that.

Did you read my point after that sentence:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP have you ever won anything worthwhile in a team sport?

At a guess given their physical condition they probably drank less than you think.

Having fun with the group you trained with for 10 months after achieving your goal. Best of luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

amdublin wrote:

TBH you made enough posts on it now that it appears as if you are trying to say something. If you are not trying to say anything why are you posting?

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from pro drinking, I don't drink, never have and never will. I won't encourage anyone to drink. Many of the excuses I hear about why people decide to go on benders annoy me, but celebrating all night after a huge achievement is not one of them. I'm sure a percentage didn't drink at all but stayed to celebrate with their teammates. I'm sure some drank.

Also there are suggestions in here that possibly drunk players visited sick kids, but then again, you say you are not saying anything.

There were players on view on Sunday like Gooch Cooper and young Jack McCaffery that set a fine example imho. If some of them want to celebrate all night so be it. I've celebrated many times without ever drinking.

Did you read my point after that sentence:

I stopped reading your point once it became clear what your motives were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What kind of example does it set? It tells young people that if you work your ass off and sacrifice basically your entire life in pursuit of a goal, that you're entitled to have a big party when you reach that goal.

Sounds like a fine example to me.

I'm in work now so will reply later. I've no motive except to say that I don't agree with it. Many of you do. That's fine.
    We are all entitled to our opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It did cross my mind also.
    It's not exactly something I reckon the Rugby lads would be seen doing. ('seen' being the key word). It's more a PR exercise IMO. Of course most athletes will celebrate, it's all about how its done.
    Maybe if it were a professional sport, would this happen?

Still, they made huge sacrifices and deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The report just says

bringing the Sam Maguire trophy to the Boar's Head the morning after is standard tradition and true to form the Dubs arrived with Sam in hand.

Didn't say they were there all night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Kerry team there aswell for a while, Donegal players went back to the Boars Head in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think the tradition is that every year the winning team goes there, i know the Kerry team are always there anyway before getting on the train.

would make sense if both Kerry and Dublin were there on Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

OP, come on now, do you not remember the state of all the athletes after the 2012 Olympics in London? They all went on a proper 24 hour bender and could you blame them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

What about Freddie Flintoff wrote off after Englad won the ashes 10 years ago?

Darren Clarke was full the next morning after he won the open and had to do an interview!

Ricky Hatton was notorious for partying after big fights he won.

I'm no Dublin fan but your point is ridiculous plus the players who were outside the boars head yesterday were not at the childrens hospital - I believe at least some of the players that were at the hospital don't take a drink at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Good luck to em, If it was me I'd still be in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I think grown men fighting on the pitch, and in the stands, at the top levels of an amateur sport is a lot worse an example to set kids, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, its not a bad example. Its a good example of lads shedding blood sweat and tears for a year, and indeed many years, sacrificing social and family events, holidays and work opportunities to represent their area in an amateur game. I know of a Dublin intercounty hurler who mentioned to the Manager of the time that he was going to attend his brothers wedding two days before a league game but that he wouldnt be drinking and would travel home the same night, the manager told him not to bother meeting the bus on the Sunday morning.

If they want to have a blow out after, its only human, theyll be back on the training treadmill soon enough for the Club championships.

By all means teach your kids that excessive alcohol intake is a bad road, but make that the secondary lesson to teaching them to look up to lads like the Dublin players and indeed most high level GAA players, who work hard 98% of the time and play hard 2%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Darren Clarke went on a bender after winning the British Open in golf.

Premiership Soccer players are renowned for their end of season parties. Do you remember the end-of-season Paul Gascoigne dentist chair pictures?

At least they weren't as badly behaved as those Leicester players.

It happens in every sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

OP, come on now, do you not remember the state of all the athletes after the 2012 Olympics in London? They all went on a proper 24 hour bender and could you blame them?

The Olympics parties are legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Agree it's legal. And of course everyone deserves a few drinks. But 18 hours drinking. What happened going to coppers and home in the wee hours of the morning. Now it's drinking past the wee hours into the working hours of the next morning.
    It just feels incredibly excessive and frankly wrong to me.

You shouldn't do it then, problem solved.

Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What's it got to do with anyone OP? Let them fire away if that's what they want to do. Fair play, they deserved a blow out after months of strict dedication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

If it gets to you when the Dublin team celebrate winning the ultimate prize in their sport, then make sure you never go to Scraggs in Carlow where some of the team are still celebrating a match they won 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It is a pity one of their former team mates chose to drive home after spending some time with them in The Boar's Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I remember winning a Sunday league soccer game a few years back - first game we had won in 5 months. Didn't even bother to go on a bender - that's dedication for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

It is a pity one of their former team mates chose to drive home after spending some time with them in The Boar's Head.

As long as he didn't drink there's no issue.

vektarman wrote: »
    As long as he didn't drink there's no issue.
    It seems he did otherwise he wouldn't have been arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

I can see the way this tread is going, Jesus you sad downthemidde.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

this happens in all sports everywhere. Its hardly unique. It's just that this happened in a very populated area. Have a look at Mad Monday in Australia at the end of the AFL season. See Patriots player Rob Gronkowski and his party bus for after the superbowl. The Irish rugby team after they won the 6 nations had a load of boozy photos going around. Even 2 weeks ago, someone spotted Richie Hogan outside a pub on his phone in Kilkenny, and the t-shirt ripped off him. Most of these end of season sessions are behind closed doors and only within the team themselves. Sometimes they get out of hand, sometimes they dont. Sometimes the media sees it and it gets out, sometimes it doesnt.

They are entitled to do whatever the hell they like. Who says they were out drinking for 18 hours? How can you make claims like that? Who says they were drunk with kids? Thats awful slanderous stuff to be saying when you havent a clue.

Personally, I've been on sessions for all nighters and into the next day, and it was for no particular reason at all. Just out with friends and things kept going. Just because they are photographed for doing it, does that mean it's wrong? I've also been out for end of season sessions after championships, and to be honest, after about 4 or 5 drinks I'm done, and wouldnt be drinking after that. But would stay on and enjoy the craic.

mobby wrote: »
    I can see the way this tread is going, Jesus you sad downthemidde.
    Sorry that my disapproval of drink driving offends you.

The Dublin team are more than entitled to celebrate, I'm sure they had a great night and they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

He'll appeal to the DRA and get off like all the Dublin lads! :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement