Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You will always find me in the Kitchen at Parties

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I barely ever drink these days and I can tell you now the chances of me being able to pull an all nighter and lorrying into the gargle till the next day are slim to none.

I doubt any of the players for the decent inter county teams could either, given their lifestyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

amdublin wrote: »
    I certainly was not insinuating that they were drunk visiting the crumlin children. I was just suggesting why wouldn't they do the (lovely) visit later in the week (as the smell of drink must have been something else). BUT as some posters have pointed out it seems the team members who visited the kiddies were not the team members who were out until the morning.

As far all the other sports examples where people do or have done the same. Yeah I think that's excessive too.
    Op, have you ever been involved in any way with either the children/parents or staff of the hospital?
    Have you any idea as to how children/parents or staff would like to see the event take place ?
    Have you ever even been to the hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wouldn't call my self a GAA fan and even less of a Dublin fan, but let them have their moment OP. Its the biggest prize in Irish Sport, and all they get is their expences.

Hell, the Donegal team have often partied the night away in the Abbey in Donegal Town, and sometimes even after lossing the Final.

As for comparing them to professional sports stars, ie, Wimbledon, the Winner of that is usally already on their way to next weeks touranment by that time. A GAA medel winner might just have a day or two off before returning to their day job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

OP it is possible to have 6 pints over the space of 12 hours and you will not be over the legal limit for driving. by the way your posting you'd swear they were downing shots and drinking from a beer bong and making a fool of themselves.

So whats the problem? People shouldn't be out late? People shouldn't be aloud to enjoy themselves? No one should leave there house after 9PM? you look down on people socializing in a pub? I'm actually speechless and cannot understand your strain of thoughts.

Your actually saying they were drunk going to a hospital or had a smell of beer. Who the feck do you think you are thinking this when you have no idea how much alcohol they consumed the night before! Could have having 8 or 9 pints and be fresh as a daisy the next morning. You obviously have no clue about alcohol cause you don't drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

At the risk of being accused of being a back seat mod, this thread should follow the lead of the Dublin footballers and get locked!!!

(Sorry :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paidinmhaire

FlickBean wrote: »
    Each to their own!!

If the media didn't go plastering it up around the place we wouldn't be wasting our time talking about it :)

You could say that for most of what makes up general daily conversation I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

People getting upset/offended by sportspeople not setting good examples is one of the highest forms of buĺlsh1t there is imo.

A rag publishes photos and is gobbled up by "the easily offended", the offended then go on to create more of a story out of an non story. The simple fact is that if you take away the rag and the easily offended, then nobody talks about it and a few fans and grown adults on their way to work are the only ones to know it happened.

The biggest offense here is by the rag & others highlighting this. It's an invasion of peoples privacy and it's fairly sh1te that they are taking away from the good that these guys have done / are doing.

I'm not a Dub but to borrow an expression, take your offense and shove it up yer hooal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

STB. wrote: »
    You are making a lot of assumptions.

You assume they were all on the lash ALL night.

You assume that they were drinking because they visited a pub with the Sam Maguire.

You have quoted some rags pictures, not one of which shows a Dublin player with a drink in his hand. I am nearly sure you couldn't identify the players from the fans ?

Would it surprise you to learn that some of them do not drink whatsoever ?

Is it your place to judge people and dictate to them how they should and should not celebrate ?

Your general beliefs about the dangers of excess belong elsewhere. There is no justification for them here - nor is there for the title of this thread. Infact is there any chance you could change it. I find it offensive.

Yes I assume they were on the lash all night - they in the same clothes as the night before. Yes it is an assumption on my part that they did not go home and sleep and get up and put the same clothes/suit. If you think that is not a fair assumption to make then we will have to assume that they went home and put the same suit on - that seems strange doesn't it.

Sorry for making an assumption that going to a pub meant there was alcohol involved. For a lot of people, going to a pub involves alcohol. By that I mean is you get more people drinking alcohol in pubs, than not drinking alcohol in pubs.

I haven't quoted any specific newspapers at all??

No it would not surprise me that some of the Dublin team do not drink. In any group of people you tend to get some drinkers and non drinkers. It tends to be more drinkers than non drinkers.

If I am judging saying I don't think it is right. You are judging saying you think it is right. This is boards, people give their opinions on what is right/wrong, good/bad every day here on boards.

Any suggestions for a new thread title?

Red21 wrote: »
    Op, have you ever been involved in any way with either the children/parents or staff of the hospital?
    Have you any idea as to how children/parents or staff would like to see the event take place ?
    Have you ever even been to the hospital?

Yes.
    Yes - hence why I suggested that this (lovely) event might be better taking place a few days later.
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who gives a shyte now anyway. It's all over. No trouble, no fights.

It's just because it's Dublin I think.

I'm sure the same thing happens in any county that wins. Behind closed doors. No early houses with cameras at the ready on the street either.

Get a life everyone. It's Ireland, and a few jars (no trouble etc.) is what we are, like it or not. No one is going to be told what to do now anymore, as long as it's within the law.

Enjoy. Sweet victory all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Sadly, in Ireland people seem to equate celebration with getting plastered. The newspaper was doing its bit to reinforce that association.

Sports people engaging in all night drinking?

PARlance wrote: »
    People getting upset/offended by sportspeople not setting good examples is one of the highest forms of buĺlsh1t there is imo.

A rag publishes photos and is gobbled up by "the easily offended", the offended then go on to create more of a story out of an non story. The simple fact is that if you take away the rag and the easily offended, then nobody talks about it and a few fans and grown adults on their way to work are the only ones to know it happened.

The biggest offense here is by the rag & others highlighting this. It's an invasion of peoples privacy and it's fairly sh1te that they are taking away from the good that these guys have done / are doing.

I'm not a Dub but to borrow an expression, take your offense and shove it up yer hooal.

I see your point. But at the same time whether it is reported or not, IF people drink like a massive session like that (until 9am the next time), IF they do this, my personal opinion is it is excessive. But yeah if it wasn't reported I wouldn't know and wouldn't be here now saying I felt it is excessive.

Yes I assume they were on the lash all night - they in the same clothes as the night before. Yes it is an assumption on my part that they did not go home and sleep and get up and put the same clothes/suit. If you think that is not a fair assumption to make then we will have to assume that they went home and put the same suit on - that seems strange doesn't it.

Sorry for making an assumption that going to a pub meant there was alcohol involved. For a lot of people, going to a pub involves alcohol. By that I mean is you get more people drinking alcohol in pubs, than not drinking alcohol in pubs.

No it would not surprise me that some of the Dublin team do not drink. In any group of people you tend to get some drinkers and non drinkers. It tends to be more drinkers than non drinkers.

If I am judging saying I don't think it is right. You are judging saying you think it is right. This is boards, people give their opinions on what is right/wrong, good/bad every day here on boards.

So OP they should have all been in bed by 9PM like good little boys or risk the wooden spoon by Mammy?
    I see your point. But at the same time whether it is reported or not, IF people drink like a massive session like that (until 9am the next time), IF they do this, my personal opinion is it is excessive. But yeah if it wasn't reported I wouldn't know and wouldn't be here now saying I felt it is excessive.

How the hell do you know what they were drinking. Do you have proof they were chugging shots, making a fool of themselves, downing pints?
    Could have been 8 pints over 12 hours and you would wake up fresh as daisy the next morning

Yes.
    Yes - hence why I suggested that this (lovely) event might be better taking place a few days later.
    Yes.
    and given the reasons you've got for having the event a few days later, do you think many of the children/staff would be with you on this one?

booooring! wrote: »
    So OP they should have all been in bed by 9PM like good little boys or risk the wooden spoon by Mammy?

Have you read the thread? We are going around in circles.

From the pictures and the newspaper reports, it seems that they were out literally all through night to the point of (possibly) still drinking (seeing as they were in a PUB) in the boars head the next morning at the time that everyone else was going to work.

Do you really think that is absolutely ok and not an ounce excessive??

Some proxy Nanny Staters here.. alert!

I said "proxy" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

So they must have been breaking the law, what pub stays open till that time in the morning ? Some example to the youth, being it in Dublin there was surely drugs being taken too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You're still assuming they were all on a massive session.

• Advertisement

and given the reasons you've got for having the event a few days later, do you think many of the children/staff would be with you on this one?

Seriously??

Dr to a child: "and the Dublin team will be in on Wednesday! Isn't that exciting!"
    Child: "hooray! I love the Brogans....HEY, wait a minute :mad: why are they not coming in right now, TODAY" :mad:

Have you read the thread? We are going around in circles.

From the pictures and the newspaper reports, it seems that they were out literally all through night to the point of (possibly) still drinking (seeing as they were in a PUB) in the boars head the next morning at the time that everyone else was going to work.

Do you really think that is absolutely ok and not an ounce excessive??

Nope, enjoying themselves before having to go back to work and training for the rest of the year where if there seen with a pint there dropped from the team. Just because they were out all night does not mean they were drunk! I guarantee you they all got a few hours kip and ready to pace themselves for the day. Whats wrong with that?

While it's a really nice custom surely it might be better to wait until a day when some of them hadn't been drinking for 18 hours previously.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, to say that at 9 am on Monday they had been drinking for 18 hours would suggest that they had been drinking from 3 p.m on Sunday....

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You're still assuming they were all on a massive session.

Yes. Hence the two massive "IF's" in the sentence you've quoted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

It is a part of this modern Irish culture you see and Dublin (formerly The Pale) is viewed as the centre point of everything Irish and Gaelic in modern Ireland, I blame the tourism Ireland crowd.

The old Gaels of Ireland would probably have celebrated with a drop of sour milk after battle.

Seriously??

Dr to a child: "and the Dublin team will be in on Wednesday! Isn't that exciting!"
    Child: "hooray! I love the Brogans....HEY, wait a minute :mad: why are they not coming in right now, TODAY" :mad:

Because apparently you think there all drunks who were chugging pints and shots and would have only been able to crawl into the hospital.

You doesn't understand drinking as you have never drank in your life.

• Advertisement

At the risk of sounding pedantic, to say that at 9 am on Monday they had been drinking for 18 hours would suggest that they had been drinking from 3 p.m on Sunday....

Lol! you are right!!!!

I was thinking 6pm until 9am. 15 hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sadly, in Ireland people seem to equate celebration with getting plastered. The newspaper was doing its bit to reinforce that association.

And so is the OP.

Has anybody thought of the children in all of this?

Seriously??

yeah seriously, now just answer the question! if you're able?

Maybe this isn't for the GAA forum so.

You seem to just want your opinion ratified, that being: An 18 hour drinking binge is excessive. Yes it is.

Shall we move on?

booooring! wrote: »
    OP doesn't understand drinking as he has never drank in his live.

I drink.

*I don't drink until 9am the next day. But I drink.

*I also have never won an all-Ireland. But I still think that even after winning the all-Ireland drinking until 9am is excessive.

IF the players pictured in a pub at 9am next morning were actually drinking :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah seriously, now just answer the question! if you're able?

I think a child would not actually care as they would not know that there was the option of them coming in earlier, they are just told the day the Dublin team will be coming, and in they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes. Hence the two massive "IF's" in the sentence you've quoted.

So why is something that may or may not happened such a big issue?

Would it be OK for another poster to start a thread about them being all off their heads on drugs, just in case IF that happened?

PARlance wrote: »
    Maybe this isn't for the GAA forum so.

You seem to just want your opinion ratified, that being: An 18 hour drinking binge is excessive. Yes it is.

Shall we move on?

I honestly don't need it ratified. It is clear from this thread that my opinion is unpopular and in the minority. So be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK??

I've asked you if the players that went to the hospital were drunk, you seem to suggest they were drinking for 18 hours
    of course everyone deserves a few drinks. But 18 hours drinking.
    Yes I assume they were on the lash all night

So you assumed that they were drinking for 18 hours and on the lash all night, but when I asked if you claimed that were drunk when visiting the sick children you said you only said they "stank of drink". Reading your posts I took it that you were claiming that they were drunk, I still do.
    I'm not trying to say or tell anyone anything. I'm just questioning is it the right thing to be doing.

Again you claim to not have been trying to say or tell anyone anything, why post if you are not trying to say something, you are a mod and you know how boards works.

Finally I'll ask you again please, on the forums you moderate, can someone type anything they want, be it well founded or unfounded and then simply dismiss it by saying that they are not saying anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

That's 3 assumptions (and a multitude of others within).

Where you even at the Gibson Hotel ? Did you stay there like some of the players ? Where you drinking all night with the players and noting down what they were drinking ? Do you think your assumptions are founded ?

Where you at the pub the next morning ? Do you see any of the players in the pictures drinking ?

You linked to the paper that had pictures of MDMA with the Sam Maguire and a fan with a pint in his hand.

What are you saying isn't right ? That your assumptions have led you believe that someone somewhere may have been celebrating, perhaps ALL night and I am going to annoy the GAA fans, many of whom were possibly doing the same and tell them where they and possibly the Dublin panel are destroying their lives through this celebrating nonsense.

You will always find me in the Kitchen at Parties

I think we are all going around in circles. None of us are for turning. And that's fine!!

It's clear my opinion is unpopular and in the minority. And that's fine too.
    I will bow out now.

I honestly don't need it ratified. It is clear from this thread that my opinion is unpopular and in the minority. So be it.

I don't think anyone on here would argue with you that an 18 hour binge isn't excessive.

The backlash you are getting does not center on your classification of excessive drinking. You're in the minority for many other reasons, from what I can see, the main ones being:

1. People don't like you making the assumption they were drinking excessively. You haven't a clue what they got up to / didn't get up to.
    2. People think the players are entitled to an excessive celebration
    3. People respect others right to a bit of privacy
    4. People see the good that these guys do and a thread like this is needlessly deflecting attention away from that good.

There is merit to your argument about people drinking excessively in this country but I think that it is very unfair to single out the Dublin footballers for this when others have done it before them and will continue to do it for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I think we are all going around in circles..

After all that drink anyone would, apparently.

Me personally, I haven't seen sobriety since Saturday and I wasn't even playing.

I find smoking a massive joint breaks down the monotony of the gargle and certainly brings you down off the Class A's.

Also I didn't go to mass on Sunday.

I think I am doing remarkably well, doh :eek:

This thread will be kaput tomorrow.

So have your rant now, all will be well. And no fights, no stabbings, no anythings happened AFAIK.

But a few pints and a celebration in true Dub style according to tradition.

What is the feckin problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

The Dublin team lasted longer on the sauce than this thread :)

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement