Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenWRT on TPLINK TL-MR3420 v1?

• 23-09-2015 8:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Has anyone put OpenWRT on an old version MR3420 (the black and white one) ?
    Will putting OpenWRT on it allow it to support 4G dongles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I wouldn't think so the hardware seems to only support 3G and 3G+ but I'm not 100% on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

jay93 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so the hardware seems to only support 3G and 3G+ but I'm not 100% on it.

That's the thing, from reading up on it I think the only limitation is software based. Just wondering if anyone has done it before I start messing with my router.

Openwrt goes on fine and works with a 3G dongle. The new 4G dongle isn't though , wonder if it's because it's a Huawei HiLink one that shows as a network interface rather than a USB device

long_b wrote: »
    Openwrt goes on fine and works with a 3G dongle. The new 4G dongle isn't though , wonder if it's because it's a Huawei HiLink one that shows as a network interface rather than a USB device

They should work fine I used HiLink ones before in routers and it worked not problems at all which model do you have.

jay93 wrote: »
    They should work fine I used HiLink ones before in routers and it worked not problems at all which model do you have.

It's a E3272

Which OpenWRT firmware did you download ?

• Advertisement

I used the HiLink modems in old Vodafone modems with stock firmware and they always worked no configuration needed really. I did use one in a TP-Link router before too with DD-WRT and it worked ok also I found OpenWRT to be confusing (for me anyway) from doing some reading online it seems there is a hardware limitation on the router you have the newer model of it supports 4G I think it's mainly due to the speed of the USB port on the router.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/3g-comp-list/?model=tl-mr3420&location=1151

"* 4G LTE Modems Compatibility apply to TL-MR3420 Version 2.0 ONLY."

Advertisement