Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The sheer, concentrated and all-pervading arseholery of these setups and all who sail in them makes me want to kick things. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

smash wrote: »
    Only after this Thursday.

Kind of unlucky to miss out on not hosting it by only 3 days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To be honest, an valid criticisms she had are well and truly nullified by the use of #foodgate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

redman85 wrote: »

Jaysus that's worse than last year !!! At least we had hot food!

Can't wait for Paddy's blog blaming the Gubberment :P

Jesus Christ.... Paddy has accused the Government of lying about the Web Summit in order to cover up the issues with homelessness etc in the country. And that any money the government have given to Web Summit was 'hush money'.

https://twitter.com/morningireland/status/661467815879286784

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

redman85 wrote: »
    pretty standard alright :rolleyes:

I've already clarified what I meant by standard up-thread. I didn't know if the €20 entailed a proper meal and an alcoholic beverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Cosgrave is beginning to believe his own publicity now, and is starting to outgrow his boots.

unfortunately I foresee the narrative that he will claim that he is forced to flee Ireland because it's still a banana republic and in future years he'll take the mantle off bob geldof as the number 1 "rent a quote" exiled bitter crank

actually I'll take that if he just fcuks off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I won't be mourning the loss of eijets like this. Seriously, it's 13* outside and you're in Dublin, not San Fran.

http://s18.postimg.org/r65keo3nd/image.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

ImDave wrote: »
    I won't be mourning the loss of eijets like this. Seriously, it's 13* outside and you're in Dublin, not San Fran.

..they're like...gurus man....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jesus Christ.... Paddy has accused the Government of lying about the Web Summit in order to cover up the issues with homelessness etc in the country. And that any money the government have given to Web Summit was 'hush money'.

https://twitter.com/morningireland/status/661467815879286784

That interview this morning was really weird.

Does he actually think that his overpriced conference circle jerk is that important ?

He kept blattering on about ministers from other countries turning up to do deals.
    I half expected him to state someone was going to solve the Syrian crisis down in Ballsbridge, of course if only the government would allow them.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »

Does he actually think that his overpriced conference circle jerk is that important ?

He kept blattering on about ministers from other countries turning up to do deals.
    I half expected him to state someone was going to solve the Syrian crisis down in Ballsbridge, of course if only the government would allow them.

You'd swear he was hosting a UN convention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

€9.95 across the road in the Horseshow House would get you "The Stuffer" - their chicken goujon sandwich!!!! Quite simply one of the greatest meals in Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Cosgrave is beginning to believe his own publicity now, and is starting to outgrow his boots.

In an alternate universe this is when he becomes a supervillian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ImDave wrote: »

Laugh now but within a few years his products will be in millions of households. Given his achievements I doubt he cares too much what people think about the clothes he wears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Waterford Whispers News are live tweeting the web summit (....and killlling it:) )

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jmayo wrote: »

He actually said the summit wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

The point he made was a UK trade minister was over here last year holding bi-lateral meetings behind closed doors for two days solid. He was lobbying for jobs for the UK while our lot of politicans were only at the summit to get their mugs in the media. Its fair comment IMO, this FG govt is all about perception and fantasy, not reality. Endas latest gaffes are just further testament to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Laugh now but within a few years his products will be in millions of households. Given his achievements I doubt he cares too much what people think about the clothes he wears

Is that the oculus guy?

He's going to be cleaned out by the competition I reckon, it will teach him for poaching valves staff after they lent him a helpin hand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Can someone explain to me what exactly makes Paddy Cosgrave worthy of so much attention and reverence. You see him swaggering around and given attention in the media like he is some kind of Steve Jobs type character but as far as I can determine his greatest contribution to the world is a conference? What am I missing?

stmol32 wrote: »
    Waterford Whispers News are live tweeting the web summit (....and killlling it:) )

https://twitter.com/WhispersNewsLTD
    I've been checking their feed during the morning. Some real gems in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He actually said the summit wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

The point he made was a UK trade minister was over here last year holding bi-lateral meetings behind closed doors for two days solid. He was lobbying for jobs for the UK while our lot of politicans were only at the summit to get their mugs in the media. Its fair comment IMO, this FG govt is all about perception and fantasy, not reality. Endas latest gaffes are just further testament to that.

That's what happens when our national politicians are nothing more in reality than jumped up County Councillors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This was pointed out before, it creates few jobs, and most of those are transient for the duration of the talk shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God hes a whiny f3cker, whens his flight to lisbon? I wanna throw a party, drinks on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

This is an important event whether you like it or not. It gets a lot of cover internationally and helps position Ireland as an IT hub.
    Outside of what Failte think its worth, the value in terms of perception is huge.

Perhaps its better suited to the convention center and not the RDS, which lets face it, is hardly a cutting edge facility.
    Contrary to some of the opinions in this thread, i think that it should be supported by the government, or if not supported then the government via Enterprise Ireland should run their own version of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

If you look at the broadsheet website which is frequented by people in that ambit it appears that letting it go to Lisbon was a huge mistake.

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    This is an important event whether you like it or not. It gets a lot of cover internationally and helps position Ireland as an IT hub.
    Please explain this to me. This has been thrown around a lot and it's just not true. What positions Ireland as an IT hub is the fact that there are numerous IT giants who have their European headquarters here. Not the fact that there's a 3 day conference once a year, that's only been running for a few years. Lets not forget that it's also a conference that's held in multiple cities world wide under a different guise at various stages of the year.

kidneyfan wrote: »
    If you look at the broadsheet website which is frequented by people in that ambit it appears that letting it go to Lisbon was a huge mistake.

I have to laugh that you're basing an assumption on what posters on Broadsheet have said. It's a mix of some brilliant trolls, people who genuinely know their stuff, and fruit cakes. And this is coming from a a person in that ambit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

What positions Ireland as an IT hub is the fact that there are numerous IT giants who have their European headquarters here.
    Think about the likes of Microsoft, IBM, and Apple. Decades before this Web summit palava.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Outside of what Failte think its worth, the value in terms of perception is huge.

Perhaps its better suited to the convention center and not the RDS, which lets face it, is hardly a cutting edge facility.
    Contrary to some of the opinions in this thread, i think that it should be supported by the government, or if not supported then the government via Enterprise Ireland should run their own version of it.

No lets be real here, the chicken definitely preceded the egg in this case. And Paddy Cosgrave should be reminded of it, he did not incubate the entire IT and Comms industry in this Country as his ego would have you believe. The web summit gained traction because Ireland was already a fruitful place for tech companies and that environment will continue quite happily without the web summit, there are many other meetings of minds that take place.

Whatever somewhat adverse publicity for the City was generated by the announcement of the move to Lisbon, it has been eclipsed now by the perceived wisdom that #paddyisabrat

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Think about the likes of Microsoft, IBM, and Apple. Decades before this Web summit palava.
    And Facebook, Dell, Google, LinkedIn...

• Advertisement

I'm not saying Paddy and Tech Summit started the IT industry in Ireland.

I'm saying that it an important event, and people not liking him or thinking he's a brat doesn't change that.

It is important to attract new business into the country, its an on going activity . Facebook, Google, LinkedIn etc are all mature business. Its the next wave of companies that we need to attract.

My comment was "it helps position Ireland as an IT hub" as in, it helps, its not the only thing. There is obviously a lot of competition internationally for the likes of MIT and Cal Tech startups and events like this help promote Ireland as a destination. Note, I said "help" promote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Has Adrian Weckler managed to ride Paddy yet?

It is important to attract new business into the country, its an on going activity . Facebook, Google, LinkedIn etc are all mature business. Its the next wave of companies that we need to attract.
    Why do you have the misconception that the Web Summit encourages foreign companies set up in Ireland?

I'm not saying Paddy and Tech Summit started the IT industry in Ireland.

I'm saying that it an important event, and people not liking him or thinking he's a brat doesn't change that.

My comment was "it helps position Ireland as an IT hub" as in, it helps, its not the only thing. There is obviously a lot of competition internationally for the likes of MIT and Cal Tech startups and events like this help promote Ireland as a destination. Note, I said "help" promote.

The question that has to be asked is, important to whom? Many companies just don't see it as important, and they're the ones that bring the money and employment into the state.

The summit is not about attracting business into Ireland, it's about bringing in start ups and investors and hooking them up with each other, and it's been debated by those who attend as to how much of this actually happens.

It's not about getting companies to move into and establish themselves in Ireland.

The biggest benefactor is Paddy himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Went there today.

Reminds me of Comdex, the big tech exhibition that became too big and not specific enough, and actually had to be discontinued because of problems with that.

Can see it going that way. Too much stuff basically, needs to be split up into other expos.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not any one thing that positions us as the so called tech hub of Europe. Losing the Web Summit will not all of a sudden lose us that title. Saying that everything helps. The Web Summit is a pretty large tech event that brings high profile people in the tech sector to Ireland and gets us some nice international press. So while it hasn't made us a tech hub, it does add to our status. Just like how LinkedIn doesn't on its own make us a tech hub but if they decided to move their head quarters somewhere else it would hurt that perception even just a little.

Saying that, Paddy seems like a knob and the Web Summit seems to be a complete rip off (especially if that 20 euro joke of a meal is legit). It's pretty clear he wanted a load of free stuff from his list of asks and decided to move if he didn't get it. It's also pretty obvious that he's trying to make the government look like the bad guy and that he did everything in his power to keep it here but the government told him to feck off and the Web Summit was forced to go to Lisbon against his will. I remember reading someone say a big draw from foreign attendees to the Web Summit was that it was in Ireland and that they were coming more for Ireland than the Web Summit. It was an excuse for them to come here essentially. I really hope that this is the case and something else takes it's place over the next 3 years. I wonder what Paddy would say if the Web Summit attendance figures dropped whilst it was in Lisbon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Funny how the PR department put out pictures like

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/661501881357836288

when the reality is actually

https://twitter.com/CaitrionaDwyer/status/661511773221208064

Why do you have the misconception that having Dell and IBM here matters to cloud based companies?

I think that having something like the Summit here showcases the county in a positive light, and when people visit they realize that Ireland has a lot to offer in terms of talented people, solid IT infrastructure, and dynamic companies like dropbox and hubspot .
    It does resonate with companies ye know.

Why do you have the misconception that having Dell and IBM here matters to cloud based companies?

Do you think IBM and Dell are not big players themselves in cloud computing? Dropbox are nothing more than a data storage company, not a fully fledged cloud based service provider.

• Advertisement

What?
    I think that having something like the Summit here showcases the county in a positive light, and when people visit they realize that Ireland has a lot to offer in terms of talented people, solid IT infrastructure, and dynamic companies like dropbox and hubspot.
    And then Paddy went and said the infrastructure was crap.

I think that having something like the Summit here showcases the county in a positive light, and when people visit they realize that Ireland has a lot to offer in terms of talented people, solid IT infrastructure, and dynamic companies like dropbox and hubspot .
    It does resonate with companies ye know.

Dropspot and Hubbox are two of a thousand dipshít cool-dude companies who mainly facilitate fifteen-year-olds showing pictures of their brassiers on the Internet. IBM, together with a couple of other outfits like Amazon, are the cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Funny how the PR department put out pictures like

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/661501881357836288

Why is the burger on drugs?

Is that actually a hipster method of applying mayonnaise to a burger?

I know about the Dell and IBM cloud offerings. While IBM is a significant player in data centers with their converged infrastructure technology and Power Servers , they are not that significant when it comes to cloud applications.

Why don't you explain what difference it makes to a cloud based company, or an IT startup having Dell and IBM here.
    I respect them both by the way but Dell is not a significant player outside of delivering X86 hardware which maybe a part of a private cloud, i'll concede that point, but didn't they close their cloud center in Cherrywood? maybe the EMC merger will change that but that's another conversation.

When i mentioned infrastructure I was more talking about it from an IT perspective, outside of crappy broadband in the RDS its actually pretty good, also we don't suffer from brown outs so the DC's can get good clean power.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Dropspot and Hubbox are two of a thousand dipshít cool-dude companies who mainly facilitate fifteen-year-olds showing pictures of their brassiers on the Internet. IBM, together with a couple of other outfits like Amazon, are the cloud.

IBM is not the cloud. Agree with you on AWS though when it comes to delivering cloud services. Cisco have more to do with the Cloud then IBM in my opinion.

The point I was making though is that its the new generation of companies that we need to be attracting. I used dropbox as an example of one of those companies. I wasn't suggesting at they have the same range of services .

IBM is not the cloud. Agree with you on AWS though when it comes to delivering cloud services. Cisco have more to do with the Cloud then IBM in my opinion...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluemix

• Advertisement

I know about the Dell and IBM cloud offerings. While IBM is a significant player in data centers with their converged infrastructure technology and Power Servers , they are not that significant when it comes to cloud applications.

Why don't you explain what difference it makes to a cloud based company, or an IT startup having Dell and IBM here.
    I respect them both by the way but Dell is not a significant player outside of delivering X86 hardware which maybe a part of a private cloud, i'll concede that point, but didn't they close their cloud center in Cherrywood? maybe the EMC merger will change that but that's another conversation.

When i mentioned infrastructure I was more talking about it from an IT perspective, outside of crappy broadband in the RDS its actually pretty good, also we don't suffer from brown outs so the DC's can get good clean power.

The cloud is much more than data storage, or apps that access your data on the cloud. IBM are much more than data centre specialists, always have been.

The real value to a business is in the various xaaS offerings to businesses, for example deploying a business processes within hours to the cloud rather than go down a more traditional SDLC, and not having to pay for the leasing of the infrastructure up front. IBM are big players in this.

Enterprise level is where the valuable stuff happens, not for the personal consumer.

jimgoose wrote: »

IBM is still not the cloud and PAAS and SAAS are not the same thing.

Nobody is the cloud, that's the whole point.

In order to deploy software, AAS or OOTB, you need a platform. Said platform may, in turn, be AAS or OOTC.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nobody is the cloud, that's the whole point.

There is no cloud! It's just someone else's sodding computer(s)!! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement