Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    I know about the Dell and IBM cloud offerings. While IBM is a significant player in data centers with their converged infrastructure technology and Power Servers , they are not that significant when it comes to cloud applications.
    Cloud applications.... such as? I can already hazzard a guess that your answer relates to cloud storage in which case the likes of IBM and DELL are very significant to 'could applications'.
    The point I was making though is that its the new generation of companies that we need to be attracting. I used dropbox as an example of one of those companies. I wasn't suggesting at they have the same range of services .
    SAP, Nitro, SalesForce... Should I go on? Most of them are here already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jimgoose wrote: »
    There is no cloud! It's just someone else's sodding computer(s)!! :pac:

Some genius is just selling dumb terminals from the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

smash wrote: »
    Please explain this to me. This has been thrown around a lot and it's just not true. What positions Ireland as an IT hub is the fact that there are numerous IT giants who have their European headquarters here. Not the fact that there's a 3 day conference once a year, that's only been running for a few years. Lets not forget that it's also a conference that's held in multiple cities world wide under a different guise at various stages of the year.

I saw George Lee's recent programme about young Irish go-getters in California. One of the girls he interviewed was involved in attracting more IT business to Ireland. She commented that her job was relatively easier than that of people from other countries as Ireland has already a good package to offer with Google, Facebook,
    etc. based here. She did not mention the WebSummit once! ;)

As an aside, Pat Kenny mentioned this morning that he was in a taxi last night and the driver had never heard of the WebSummit! But, Jessica, who was reporting from there today, said the word
    had obviously gotten around as there was a long queue of taxis outside the RDS as she spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Smash - Are you not reading my posts fully.

While they are all leaders , especially Salesforce in SAAS and SAP in on premise, they are also mature companies. I have said we need to be attracting new companies. I remember when salesforce opened here nearly 10 years ago, there was only 150 or so staff in sandyford, now there must be 600 in 2 buildings and growing. Its the new Salesforce that web summit could help attract, who knows, it could help, every little helps. It's never going to be the only thing but having it here did no harm, surely we can agree on that?

Also - I said before that dropbox was an example. I could have picked anyone of a handful.

By the way Salesforce didn't come here because Dell or IBM or Fujitsu etc were here, because the proximity Dell and IBM call centers have no relation on their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

By the way Salesforce didn't come here because Dell or IBM or Fujitsu etc were here, because the proximity Dell and IBM call centers have no relation on their business.

They didn't come here because of the web summit either.

Calina wrote: »
    They didn't come here because of the web summit either.

I never said they did though did I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I don't know about Salesforce specifically but the proximity of big IBM and Google outlets does influence the choice to set up in Dublin for other similar companies. A big issue for all these companies is finding employees with the right skillset.

There's a pool of these employees in Dublin and companies looking for a base tap into that. It's also easier for them to attract employees from abroad to Dublin because people moving here know that even if it doesn't work out with company A, company B, C & D are options.

I never said they did though did I.

You are, however, implying that short of websummit, other companies like Salesforce are less likely to come. The fact that large numbers of companies come anyway would call that into question.

In any case, for the future, we really need a rethink of venture funding and getting those small companies not to come here when they are formed and earning some money (not true of an awful lot of SV socalled unicorns) but for such small but highly potential companies to be formed here, locally by our USP local expertise.

In European start up terms, we aren't even close to the top. France, Germany and the UK are all doing far better than we are. In my view, the websummit, such as it exists, doesn't come close to supporting that kind of innovative hub. We provide a lot of smoke and fire for entrepreneurs like Cosgrave and maybe the LovinDublin guy. But they effectively produce nothing and no really innovative products.

Instead of moaning at the loss of a conference, I think the future would be better served at supporting innovation here. But you know, that sort of bluesky funding isn't newsworthy until those companies reach a particular point.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

If only our issues for startups were down to the Websummit alone. It would be a lot easier to fix :(

You are, however, implying that short of websummit, other companies like Salesforce are less likely to come. The fact that large numbers of companies come anyway would call that into question.

In any case, for the future, we really need a rethink of venture funding and getting those small companies not to come here when they are formed and earning some money (not true of an awful lot of SV socalled unicorns) but for such small but highly potential companies to be formed here, locally by our USP local expertise.

In European start up terms, we aren't even close to the top. France, Germany and the UK are all doing far better than we are. In my view, the websummit, such as it exists, doesn't come close to supporting that kind of innovative hub. We provide a lot of smoke and fire for entrepreneurs like Cosgrave and maybe the LovinDublin guy. But they effectively produce nothing and no really innovative products.

Instead of moaning at the loss of a conference, I think the future would be better served at supporting innovation here. But you know, that sort of bluesky funding isn't newsworthy until those companies reach a particular point.

I did not imply that at all. I am implying that the likes of Web Summit helps showcase our country and talent pool which may atttact companies that would otherwise not have come. Or, at least it could be a networking event where local businesses can make contact with international organisations. I agree with the points you have made which is why I also suggested a version of this run by the government. The VC idea is great though, perhaps even a building with subsidised rents till a product comes to market. . If only we had an abundance of property to draw on.

• Advertisement

I did not imply that at all. I am implying that the likes of Web Summit helps showcase our country and talent pool which may atttact companies that would otherwise not have come. Or, at least it could be a networking event where local businesses can make contact with international organisations. I agree with the points you have made which is why I also suggested a version of this run by the government. The VC idea is great though, perhaps even a building with subsidised rents till a product comes to market. . If only we had an abundance of property to draw on.

There are a couple of accelerator premises in the country. Not enough, and in general, our seed funding is excessively limited.

The point is WebSummit is not showcasing our country and talent pool at all. It's showcasing other people's talent pool. There seems to be this naivety that people make big decisions off the back of websummit. Their selling point, for example, was the Uber financing deal a few years ago. This would have happened anyway.

The Websummit is not really directed towards decision makers in the grand scheme of things. It's targeted at the public.

There are a couple of accelerator premises in the country. Not enough, and in general, our seed funding is excessively limited.

The point is WebSummit is not showcasing our country and talent pool at all. It's showcasing other people's talent pool. There seems to be this naivety that people make big decisions off the back of websummit. Their selling point, for example, was the Uber financing deal a few years ago. This would have happened anyway.

The Websummit is not really directed towards decision makers in the grand scheme of things. It's targeted at the public.

So basically. Nothing good happens there and it's of no use to the country. Am I picking you up right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm dying to hear Paddy explain how charging people €20 for a tiny, soggy burger and a bottle of water is Enda Kenny's fault.

So basically. Nothing good happens there and it's of no use to the country. Am I picking you up right?

Not really. Basically, it isn't worth worrying about and the hysteria about it leaving is misdirected energy and effort. Presumably some of the people who go there enjoy themselves, but that's not really the basis on which we should be making strategic decisions for the country's economy.

You've to bear in mind much of the issue is the complaints that "the country should never have let the summit go". The Summit is a privately run operation. They haven't a business if they have to lean on massive subsidy, be it direct or indirect. I personally don't care if it takes place or not, but as a priority for supporting innovation and job creation in the country, it certainly something that should not be top of the country's list. TBF, it probably doesn't need to be on the list.

In terms of things which do support the future of the country, the far, far bigger Young Scientists Exhibition and the CoderDojo movement do significantly more with far less yowling. I'd mourn the loss of either of those far more. Sure the hotels benefit from the Websummit but to be honest, they benefit from pop concerts and rugby matches as well.

Take a look at the Collison brothers and Stripe for example as something that came from the Young Scientists 10 years ago, one of many homegrown success stories over the years.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nobody is the cloud, that's the whole point.

I know. Which is why I said IBM are not the cloud 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Web summit ...or the "so" ing machine convention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Thinking of holding an IOT WORLD CONFERENCE next year and hold it in Dublin at the same time as the web summit in Lisbon

The 'web' is so yesterday

All I need is for Adrian Weckler to lust after me and I'm set for favourable publicity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can someone explain to me what exactly makes Paddy Cosgrave worthy of so much attention and reverence. You see him swaggering around and given attention in the media like he is some kind of Steve Jobs type character but as far as I can determine his greatest contribution to the world is a conference? What am I missing?

Connections and nothing else really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Think about the likes of Microsoft, IBM, and Apple. Decades before this Web summit palava.
    And think of how Paddy ripped off such people in the last 2-3 years

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Can confirm that I was there today and the food situation was dire. Seriously, this is my fourth conference this year and defo the worst so far. It had the highest ticket price but it seems to include nothing! No food, no transport, nothing.

You had to buy those food tickets in advance- either 1 for 20 or a 3-day one for 50 BEFORE you saw the food. Non-returnable obviously. There was a choice of fish and chips, some burgers, some rolls, some wraps etc. I love Clonakilty sausages and pudding but in no way could I justify 20 quid for what was essentially a breakfast roll with some ingredients missing.

For my €20 I had some pork and wedges with onions, that I ate standing up in a tent that was dripping with condensation. Pic:

https://twitter.com/Hazel_ok/status/661547171272114176

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

How's the wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"I got ripped off at an event that's known for ripping people off!!1!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

my friend wrote: »
    Thinking of holding an IOT WORLD CONFERENCE next year and hold it in Dublin at the same time as the web summit in Lisbon

The 'web' is so yesterday

All I need is for Adrian Weckler to lust after me and I'm set for favourable publicity

I heard Weckler talking to Sean O Rourke today and Sean asked him is it me or does Paddy have an ego like a huge country and Weckler of course said NO,tried to water it down...He is ambitious.. BS.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Can confirm that I was there today and the food situation was dire. Seriously, this is my fourth conference this year and defo the worst so far. It had the highest ticket price but it seems to include nothing! No food, no transport, nothing.

You had to buy those food tickets in advance- either 1 for 20 or a 3-day one for 50 BEFORE you saw the food. Non-returnable obviously. There was a choice of fish and chips, some burgers, some rolls, some wraps etc. I love Clonakilty sausages and pudding but in no way could I justify 20 quid for what was essentially a breakfast roll with some ingredients missing.

For my €20 I had some pork and wedges with onions, that I ate standing up in a tent that was dripping with condensation. Pic:

Seen another lady today posting a photo of a crappy burger and a bottle of water,absolute sham this is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Did someone call Joe?

Someone please think of the children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Paddy has made a real miss step by constantly crying wolf.

If he had just left it with the first story where a lot of people were fooled into the "blame de gubernment" game he was playing. However the more and more he has tried to spin the more and more people are starting to see through the facade "of saint Paddy the tech company provider and savior of Ireland" his egomania is obsessed with keeping alive.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I heard Weckler talking to Sean O Rourke today and Sean asked him is it me or does Paddy have an ego like a huge country and Weckler of course said NO,tried to water it down...He is ambitious.. BS.....

He wasn't much better on the Last Word, in fact he was a little subdued until he started taking shots at the government again. I do think other journalists are starting to cotton on to the fact he's not all what he makes himself out to be (Weckler and Paddy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yours isn't the only feed I've seen today slating the event. I wonder if some journos have the balls to do the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

smash wrote: »
    Yours isn't the only feed I've seen today slating the event. I wonder if some journos have the balls to do the same.

On the front page of the indo online.

• Advertisement

Adrian 'ride me paddy cosgrave' Weckler has been found out too by this charade

He might be fooling his editor in INM but most of us know he's not up to much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

That looks like slop from a dodgy chip van beside a circus. I wouldn't give that to a dog!

20 big ones for that is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mhge wrote: »
    How's the wifi?

WiFi was ok.
    Food situation was a rip off. Food was free (included in the ticket price) last year and €20 this year - for a burger and a drink.
    Transport was also a bit of a mess. There were 100 people trying to get on already full no.4 and no.7 buses this morning with lots of people giving up and walking. There was a free shuttle taking people from the RDS this evening, but only as far as Merrion Sq.

Did you find the wifi ok? I couldn't get on after 10 except for a minute here or there. I did get the free bus to Merrion Square, not sure if they go in the morn as well. As for the people saying "well ye knew it was a rip off", yeah the ticket price was steep, hotels too but for me the food was really taking the piss. And I'm Irish so I'm well used to being ripped off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What about the actual content and exhibitors etc? It looks a bit more polished than last year, but is it still mostly a load of start-ups looking for a sugar daddy?

The price of the food is laughable; he's some hypocrite.

Did you find the wifi ok? I couldn't get on after 10 except for a minute here or there. I did get the free bus to Merrion Square, not sure if they go in the morn as well. As for the people saying "well ye knew it was a rip off", yeah the ticket price was steep, hotels too but for me the food was really taking the piss. And I'm Irish so I'm well used to being ripped off!!

I didn't have a problem with the WiFi - but I wasn't using it too much.
    I also got the free bus up to Merrion Sq, lots of people asking if that was the last stop and if it was going to 'the centre'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

20 quid for that? Thats a scandal in itself if it is. Are you allowed to bring in a packed lunch? Far more economical...and healthier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mzungu wrote: »
    20 quid for that? Thats a scandal in itself if it is. Are you allowed to bring in a packed lunch? Far more economical...and healthier too.

Only if you package it up as an online artisan food start-up seeking VC funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

mzungu wrote: »
    They have an app from an innovating go-getter that detects and destroys hidden John Rambos.

Can't quote posts on mobile anymore?

@eoin content so far was hit and miss. Some spots (that I didn't go to so can't really comment on) seemed to be just about the celeb. A few were quite interesting, a lot of help Africa vibes. Actually wanted to volunteer tbh. The main issue for me with content was the placement of the summits (some very related ones like marketing and content are very far away from each other) and the fact that they didn't allow any breathing space between speakers. I missed the start of lots of talks I wanted to see.

• Advertisement

@mzungu could do for sure but no one knew how bad it would be till today. Also I am not living here so I don't have much food prep options in my hotel room. Indo were there giving out free lunch packs, that's my plan for tomorrow! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Sharon Ni Bheolain gave Daragh Hickey (the other co-founder) a bit of a grilling on RTE News earlier regarding the hotel and traffic issues they wanted the government to mediate and pay for.

He was not happy at all. He ripped the mic off at the end and gave her daggers. Paddy was supposed to interview, but pulled out at the last minute.

As mentioned above, they really should have said no more after the Lisbon announcement. It has backfired horrendously!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

@mzungu could do for sure but no one knew how bad it would be till today. Also I am not living here so I don't have much food prep options in my hotel room. Indo were there giving out free lunch packs, that's my plan for tomorrow! ;)

The best of luck with that, i'd say after today one or two others might have the same idea :pac::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Why are Cosgrave and Hickey doing interviews? What is in it for them? Why did the department of Foreign Affairs write to the IDA about this conference?

blow69 wrote: »

Paddy was supposed to interview, but pulled out at the last minute.

!

Paddy is developing form as a quitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Why are Cosgrave and Hickey doing interviews? What is in it for them? Why did the department of Foreign Affairs write to the IDA about this conference?

Egomaniacs tend to love the sound of their voices and relish any opportunity to speak publicly.

Eoin wrote: »
    What about the actual content and exhibitors etc? It looks a bit more polished than last year, but is it still mostly a load of start-ups looking for a sugar daddy?

The price of the food is laughable; he's some hypocrite.

Loads and loads of start ups trying to get attention. There are two stages where they are giving 4-5 minute pitches and taking questions from a panel - Dragon's Den style. Some good stuff here - and also some daft ideas (but what do I know, stuff that I've thought was daft in the past went on to make raise a fortune).

I haven't been too impressed with the talks I've attended so far. Mostly 20 minute interviews or panel discussions. Designers telling us that creativity is important, IoT proponents saying its going to bring great change, but without much detail. CEOs talking about how important customers are.
    All pretty superficial really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had lunch in a hotel near the RDS and there were a fair few web summiters in for lunch

blow69 wrote: »
    Sharon Ni Bheolain gave Daragh Hickey (the other co-founder) a bit of a grilling on RTE News earlier regarding the hotel and traffic issues they wanted the government to mediate and pay for.

He was not happy at all. He ripped the mic off at the end and gave her daggers. Paddy was supposed to interview, but pulled out at the last minute.

As mentioned above, they really should have said no more after the Lisbon announcement. It has backfired horrendously!

It's an absolute PR nightmare at this stage. Paddy has even managed to get people siding with the government on this one and that is no mean feat. Definitely a first in the lifetime of this Dáil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kidneyfan wrote: »

who cares, two more days of this crap and then we never have to hear from them again

good luck to yiz now lads, enjoy lisbon, dont be in a rush to come back.

Advertisement