Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bambi wrote: »
    who cares, two more days of this crap and then we never have to hear from them again

good luck to yiz now lads, enjoy lisbon, dont be in a rush to come back.

Feck it, Lisbon can keep them. We can even throw in their own personal Smithers (Adrian Weckler) for free. Win-win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Why are Cosgrave and Hickey doing interviews? What is in it for them? Why did the department of Foreign Affairs write to the IDA about this conference?

Desperate attempt to stop the bad PR, Hickeys interview was hilarious, looked like a spoiled brat suddenly told he cant have ice cream for dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

VinLieger wrote: »
    Desperate attempt to stop the bad PR, Hickeys interview was hilarious, looked like a spoiled brat suddenly told he cant have ice cream for dinner

Very funny. Somebody needs to get some PR lessons.
    Sharon really didn't let him off the hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Heroditas wrote: »

20:00 on. Imbecile.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/six-one-news-30003249/10487684/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Can an attendee confirm the situation about food? I've seen the photos of single portion plus a bottle of water for €20.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/web-summit-punters-furious-after-6759190

According to Web Summit you are also entitled to coffee, snack and dessert aswell.

Is this true? If so it is significantly less outrageous than I first thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just watched it, ouch...the lads are doing themselves no favours.

Sharon ran circles around Hickey, it wasn't a balanced interview either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ouch that didn't look good!

He was in a tough position though as he was having to answer stuff about what Cosgrave was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

No one stands Sharon Ní B up and gets away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gordy6040 wrote: »

By the way Salesforce didn't come here because Dell or IBM or Fujitsu etc were here, because the proximity Dell and IBM call centers have no relation on their business.
    You're showing yourself up here. Call centre? IBM employs 3000 software engineers here. Talk about cloud, citing Dropbox and dismissing the likes of IBM and Amazon, who are the actual cloud providers? Dropbox runs on AWS - I'll let you guess what the A stands for. The 5 biggest cloud companies all have major operations here, and did before the Web Summit ever existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

tinpib wrote: »
    Can an attendee confirm the situation about food? I've seen the photos of single portion plus a bottle of water for €20.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/web-summit-punters-furious-after-6759190

According to Web Summit you are also entitled to coffee, snack and dessert aswell.

I've confirmed in post 724. I took the pork and wedges as it seemed by far the biggest portion on offer. I was queuing for the duck wrap until I saw the size of it! :O The reason more people haven't posted pics is the wifi was crap there! :P The desserts that I saw were €2 extra but I did see a tweet that someone got free ice-cream. It was food (each stand offered between 1 and 4 options) and a bottle of water for 20. There was defo no coffee facilities unless I'm going completely blind!

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Just watched it, ouch...the lads are doing themselves no favours.

It's quite funny to see the sheer hubris and conceit of these two buckos, it never occurred to them that the correspondence they released to shaft the gubberment would actually show them up as a pair of clueless divas.

If they'd spent any of the copious amount of coin they earned in acquiring the services of grown up professionals in PR and event management they might have avoided being made a laughing stock of by none other than enda kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

He was not a happy bunny at the end of that interview!

I've confirmed in post 724. I took the pork and wedges as it seemed by far the biggest portion on offer. I was queuing for the duck wrap until I saw the size of it! :O The reason more people haven't posted pics is the wifi was crap there! :P The desserts that I saw were €2 extra but I did see a tweet that someone got free ice-cream. It was food (each stand offered between 1 and 4 options) and a bottle of water for 20. There was defo no coffee facilities unless I'm going completely blind!

Ya, I saw your post alright but just wanted confirmation re: the coffee/dessert snack bit.

So thanks for clarifying that the Web Summit's stance that it includes coffee/dessert snack is boll0ck$. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wow he looked seriously pissed off at the end of that interview, you get the impression if it had gone on a few questions longer he would have lost the rag on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well that was embarrassing. It was almost satire, Paddy cares for all these people, yeah right, it's their, or their company's, money he cared for. I was mortified for that guy just watching. His look of disgust at the end was hilarious, he couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

One other point on the food: Several people said you have to buy the token for €20, then you go the a stallholder, give them the token and get your food.

Why not just give the stallholder the €20?

Seems Web Summit wants to control the price totally and are probably creaming €10-12 off the top sof every meal sold. I'd love to know how much the stallholders are getting per meal if that is the case.

I've been a lot of places in my life and been ripped off plenty, but I've never seen a standard burger in paper and a plastic bottle of ordinary water anywhere for €20. It's ****inn insane. The pubs and shops across the road will be mobbed out tomorrow.

I was around Ballsbridge at 1.00 this afternoon, I was at an event in Landsdowne Rd, there were no traffic issues, so no reason to shut Anglesea Rd as requested either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow he looked seriously pissed off at the end of that interview, you get the impression if it had gone on a few questions longer he would have lost the rag on air.

There was a bit in the middle where Sharon interrupted him and he really had to bite his lip hard (figuratively, not literally) and it showed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

He did alright. In fairness, Paddy set him up there, but as a cofounder he should be up for any questioning.

I have no idea what possessed them to generate all this drama, it only hurt them in the end.

Red Kev wrote: »

Seems Web Summit wants to control the price totally and are probably creaming €10-12 off the top sof every meal sold. I'd love to know how much the stallholders are getting per meal if that is the case.

Read an unsubstantiated figure that stall holders were told to prepare €8 portions and so Web Summit are making €12 per voucher.

Dunno where I read that, possibly this thread or on twitter somewhere.

One other point on the food: Several people said you have to buy the token for €20, then you go the a stallholder, give them the token and get your food.

It happens alot at food and drink events.

At the last craft beer festival you could buy tokens, these orange plastic disks like a Connect 4 piece, for 2.50 with it being one token for a half pint and 2 for a full pint. I foolishly thought that at the end of the night you'd be able to change any unused tokens back into cash but this was not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He contradicted himself at the end as well. He originally said they would happily forgo any money for help with traffic management and hotels. Then he says they told the government they'd happily forgo all that (referring to the Lisbon offer which includes €1.4m as well as traffic management and an agreement for low hotel prices) for a 'more compelling offer'.

Edit: I almost felt sorry for Hickey. Sharon did not let up. It was like watching Tyson fight a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I work for a company that served food today, the food vendors are fuming too, they had no idea that the food was not included.
    My boss spent the day dealing with 100's and 100's of angry customers who now have a bad taste in their mouth towards us as a brand.
    €8 portions were agreed

To be fair, I have seen a similar system work at Pukkelpop. You buy food/drink tokens and swap these with the vendors. Means that only the ticket sellers have to worry about having change and food sellers don't have to touch the money too. The difference is (and this is the part that annoyed me) it was 1 ticket per meal whereas in Pukkelpop I bought a load thht were worth 1 euro each I think>

As embarrassing as it was to watch, I kinda felt sorry for him. I mean, he was really shoved under the train there!
    Read an unsubstantiated figure that stall holders were told to prepare €8 portions and so Web Summit are making €12 per voucher.

Would be very interested to know if that's true. I actually wanted to ask the vendors today but thought better of it. Might do if for a laugh tomorrow while I eat my free Irish Indo sandwich! :P

I work for a company that served food today, the food vendors are fuming too, they had no idea that the food was not included.
    My boss spent the day dealing with 100's and 100's of angry customers who now have a bad taste in their mouth towards us as a brand.
    €8 portions were agreed

Yeah, that's exactly why I thought better of asking, the Clonakilty girls especially looked pissed! The young lads and girls selling the tickets as well also got a fair bit of abuse which really wasn't fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What's hilarious is that paddy was the one complaining about hotels gouging his customers but he's the one gouging his customers.

Can't imagine it's too funny if you're one of the vendors or the customers being screwed over, especially if the vendors agreed special rates for the "good marketing opportunity". No way the stall holders are getting €8 for their €8 portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I've been a lot of places in my life and been ripped off plenty, but I've never seen a standard burger in paper and a plastic bottle of ordinary water anywhere for €20. It's ****inn insane. The pubs and shops across the road will be mobbed out tomorrow.

I was around Ballsbridge at 1.00 this afternoon, I was at an event in Landsdowne Rd, there were no traffic issues, so no reason to shut Anglesea Rd as requested either.

Going by the Web Summit's business model, the food stallholders probably see zero money (no cash is actually exchanged between attendees and stallholders - just prepaid tokens) but also have to pay for the "privilege" of having a space there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

€8 portions were agreed

That's serious damage to a brand. When people see the portions and the €20 price tag it looks like gouging by the food vendors. €8 would be a reasonable amount, on par with other events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In fairness if you see the scale of the set up the overheads must be massive. Huge marquees in Herbert park with a couple if days set up and break down.
    Say 8 euro for food. Then 12 euro *40,000 0nly leaves 480,000 which has to fuel paddies ego

€8 portions were agreed

That's really, really short-sighted and bad form by Web Summit.

No excuse for that.

I was willing to give Web Summit/Paddy etc a fair crack of the whip.

But it seems he is just out to fleece as much from people as quickly as possible and has no concern for repeat business or keeping his customers happy.

• Advertisement

He contradicted himself at the end as well. He originally said they would happily forgo any money for help with traffic management and hotels. Then he says they told the government they'd happily forgo all that (referring to the Lisbon offer which includes €1.4m as well as traffic management and an agreement for low hotel prices) for a 'more compelling offer'.

Edit: I almost felt sorry for Hickey. Sharon did not let up. It was like watching Tyson fight a small child.

The deserve it, they thought they were going to harpoon the government when they were holding a feather duster

Did it not occur to them that the media would curry favour with government press secretaries by eviscerating them rather than side with two yahoos who have nothing to offer them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Was watching that on interview on the six one news, never thought I'd use this cliche, but A1 Sharon! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Because the twits they employ to dole out your coffee and sausage roll have no loyalty to the operation. Not only that but most of them are not capable of counting money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did it not occur to them that the media would curry favour with government press secretaries by eviscerating them rather than side with two yahoos who have nothing to offer them?

They weren't doing it to curry favour with anyone, they were doing it because it's as plain as the nose on your face as to what the web summit was up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

€8 portions were agreed

If I was the management of that company I would be onto my legal team to see what recourse they have against the Web Summit for at least a public apology. What was supposed to have been a positive exposure for your brand has been flipped into a PR and Brand disaster.

One question do you know how much your company was charged for the "privilege" of having the pitch at the Summit?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The deserve it, they thought they were going to harpoon the government when they were holding a feather duster

Oh, I completely agree. They thought they'd stick the blame on the government and every one and their mother would rally behind them in support. As someone said above, instead they did the highly improbable job of getting pretty much everyone on the side of the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's probably more to do with people crossing over to get to the food summit. And crossing back again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

jmayo wrote: »
    That interview this morning was really weird.

Does he actually think that his overpriced conference circle jerk is that important ?

He kept blattering on about ministers from other countries turning up to do deals.
    I half expected him to state someone was going to solve the Syrian crisis down in Ballsbridge, of course if only the government would allow them.

He pulled out of the interview with Sharon Ní Bheoláin on the News at Six - at very short notice, she informed us. His deputy, Daragh Hickey filled in for him - I thought he was doing ok under Sharon's grilling, until the end when, as he stood aside, he ripped off the mike in obvious disgust and gave Sharon such a sideways glance that, if looks could kill,
    she would have dropped dead on the spot!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Charging for food was a terrible idea after it was included last year.
    Not even a warning.
    You can't even see what you're getting for your €20/€50 in advance.

I declined to pay for the food token, walked 90 seconds around the corner and had a lovely pulled pork flatbread in The Bridge for €12 :pac:

Scandalous photos of rubbish food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

gandalf wrote: »
    The company paid for tickets to it last year. Tbh for real business's it is a monumental waste of time.

The vast majority of start ups were hoaching apps that were poor imitations of ones that already existed.

Yea like OMG we can totally improve this concept by layering it with JavaScript and Node.js while uploading it to the cloud with crowdsourced content. Oh wait, we have a nonfunctional app in the appstore already, we're totally ready for primetime dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

brooke 2 wrote: »
    He pulled out of the interview with Sharon Ní Bheoláin on the News at Six -
    at very short notice, she informed us. His deputy, Dara? filled in for him - I
    thought he was doing ok under Sharon's grilling, until the end when, as he stood aside,
    he ripped off the mike in obvious disgust and gave Sharon such a sideways glance that, if looks could kill,
    she would have dropped dead on the spot!! :D

He came across very badly, as someone said earlier they're starting to make Enda and the government look good.

Sharon could have been much harder on him, it seems he's like Paddy in that he doesn't like to be challenged on anything. The ripping the microphone off at the end was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

aphex™ wrote: »
    Went there today.

Reminds me of Comdex, the big tech exhibition that became too big and not specific enough, and actually had to be discontinued because of problems with that.

Can see it going that way. Too much stuff basically, needs to be split up into other expos.

Not there this year but have worked the event the past two years and I completely agree, it has EVERYTHING. Started off with a focus on tech and it grew every year and the focus on tech seemed less and less each year that I was there. At some parts as a software dev, I felt like an outsider.

Heroditas wrote: »

She absolutely ripped him apart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

brooke 2 wrote:
    he ripped off the mike in obvious disgust and gave Sharon such a sideways glance that, if looks could kill,
    she would have dropped dead on the spot!!

As if he were someone important. Tickets for this were always way too overpriced too.

And it appears the vendors only got €8.00 out of that €20!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Paddy seems like a right lanky greedy shyster streak of piss tbh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Iirc, it is on a link to the Irish Mirror site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

seanbmc wrote: »

Just imagine what it must be like to work for these two...

boobar wrote: »
    He came across very badly, as someone said earlier they're starting to make Enda and the government look good.

Sharon could have been much harder on him, it seems he's like Paddy in that he doesn't like to be challenged on anything. The ripping the microphone off at the end was hilarious.

Considering he stood in at extremely short notice, he did OK, I thought. He remained very
    level headed while Sharon was eviscerating him.
    One would almost feel sorry for him! But, he betrayed his fury when he angrily ripped off the mic. As you say, it was hilarious!

seanbmc wrote: »

That little look back at Sharon before he turns his head again is priceless. I could watch it all day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement