Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I work for a company that served food today, the food vendors are fuming too, they had no idea that the food was not included.
    My boss spent the day dealing with 100's and 100's of angry customers who now have a bad taste in their mouth towards us as a brand.
    €8 portions were agreed

That sucks, sorry to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Stheno wrote: »
    Tbh that's pretty standard for three days at a conference imo.

Could you buy a ticket for just one day?

WS tickets are on sale on DD for the past few weeks for as low as €100 for 3 days. Here's one for €150.. http://www.donedeal.ie/othertickets-for-sale/web-summit-tickets/10667933?offset=15
    Tarzana2 wrote: »
    That's why Paddy Cosgrave should have done the interview himself, the wuss.

Scared? Realises the world and his dog know the game is up?

Or just found his sidekick to throw under the bus.

There's no doubt the Web Summit has garnered lots of media coverage in Ireland over the last few years. You'd have to wonder if Portugal will give anywhere near as much of a sh1t about it. Paddy is well-connected in Ireland, I understand, but does that matter in Portugal?

Also interesting that the Web Summit is garnering criticism from the Indo, considering that Daire Hickey used to write for them a bit. I suppose 'used' is the key word here. Maybe they thought the media would be on their side? But I guess the released email correspondence speaks for itself.

Red Kev wrote: »
    WS tickets are on sale on DD for the past few weeks for as low as €100 for 3 days. Here's one for €150.. http://www.donedeal.ie/othertickets-for-sale/web-summit-tickets/10667933?offset=15

Scared? Realises the world and his dog know the game is up?

Or just found his sidekick to throw under the bus.

Yup, maybe. Though people are right when they say Hickey is a co-founder and should have been able to field those questions himself. Maybe there's dissatisfaction within the camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I wonder if they are some of the free womens tickets they were handing out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I hadn't seen the interviews until now so I've linked to them for others who also did not see them...

Paddy being interviewed on Nov 3rd
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/web-summit-30001731/10487442/

Daire being interviewed on Nov 3rd
    http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2015/1103/20873496-interview-with-daire-hickey-web-summit-co-founder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A lot of people will want access to the pub crawl but a lot of those selling the tickets never applied to the pub crawl so the tickets are only useful for the day event... for the limited areas they can access!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

smash wrote: »
    Yesterday the Indo were slating WS over the food. They need to figure out what side of the fence they're on.
    they're on the anti-state funded media side. if it was an interview with a member of the INM media stable, I'm sure they wouldn't have anything bad to say about it.
    much like the Daily Mail/Telegraph constantly attacking the BBC....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The more I hear them piss and moan that nobody held their hands and told them they were special little flowers and do their jobs for them the more I'm glad they are fu*king off to Lisbon.

I know a Russian girl studying at trinity who does some modeling work who along with a group of friends was given free three day passes and complimentary food and beverages because and I quote "the organisers didn't want a sausage fest so they handed out passes to attractive STEM students in Trinity and UCD".

Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    I hadn't seen the interviews until now so I've linked to them for others who also did not see them...

Paddy being interviewed on Nov 3rd
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/web-summit-30001731/10487442/

Daire being interviewed on Nov 3rd
    http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2015/1103/20873496-interview-with-daire-hickey-web-summit-co-founder/

Too big for the city my A*se, Odd that other bigger events don't have issues in the RDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Are people here confusing the price of a ticket for a visitor compared to the price of an exhibition spot for a company? €1k+ just to attend the thing as an interested spectator?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Pat will be discussing the great value at the Web Summit after the break on Newstalk in a minute.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

"we are moving to Lisbon because Ireland does Irish things like traffic and rip off our clients"

we are famously crap at doing things like this (MCD........) and our bureaucratic awful governments are crap at making things like this better.
    Do you really think they wanted to move to Lisbon? Or was it a case of "we have to get a better deal because we are a business and can't afford to lose our client base due to bullsh*t"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He comes across as a petulant little boy. Wants everything for free and considers taxpayers money as "hush money". Portugal is welcome to him. I have a feeling that the Portuguese will be glad to see the back of Paddy and his circus after the three years in Lisbon is up.

kbannon wrote: »

Did you see Liam Cunningham's interview?
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/web-summit/irate-game-of-thrones-star-dublin-losing-the-web-summit-is-an-embarrassment-34166473.html

He calls the government dumb, says they probably can't even turn on a mobile phone and then goes on to call the web summit a diamond and says it's important "to the world"...

facepalm!

He calls the government dumb, says they probably can't even turn on a mobile phone and then goes on to call the web summit a diamond and says it's important "to the world"...
    Well at least he is correct on the first point and probably correct on the second!
    His third and fourth comments were slips of the tongue
    :D

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He comes across as a petulant little boy. Wants everything for free and considers taxpayers money as "hush money". Portugal is welcome to him. I have a feeling that the Portuguese will be glad to see the back of Paddy and his circus after the three years in Lisbon is up.

see this.
    and see our stupid spiteful attitude towards it.

WHY IS THE GOVERNMENT GIVING THEM 700,000????????
    WHY AREN'T YOU ANGRY AT THE GOVERNMENT FOR GIVING THEM THAT MONEY AND STILL NOT BEING ABLE TO KEEP THEM IN THE COUNTRY.

instead no, just get spiteful and do the ol' "oh you're welcome to them" like they have done something wrong. We are so smalltime and insular its ridiculous.

oh and look behind that article. A minister wants airtime and wants to look good and like hes "on your side" and you swallow that sh1te right up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BMMachine wrote: »
    see this.

WHY AREN'T YOU ANGRY AT THE GOVERNMENT FOR GIVING THEM THAT MONEY AND STILL NOT BEING ABLE TO KEEP THEM IN THE COUNTRY.

instead no, just get spiteful and do the ol' "oh you're welcome to them" like they have done something wrong. We are so smalltime and insular its ridiculous.

So it was about more money so??? But Paddy said it wasn't about money.....mmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

see this.

So much facepalm

VinLieger wrote: »
    So much facepalm

do tell me how

WS initially said it was for advertising space.
    Because there's no correlation.

Because there's no correlation.

bollocks

do tell me how

None of the demands cosgrave et al were making are the responsibility of the government to take care of.

They gave them the 700,00 over the last few years, its gone... end of, its not like they gave it to them yesterday.

Lisbon offered them 1.7 million to go there, no word on if that is gonna be a yearly deal or not, so as much as paddy says it was not about the money quite a lot of it was very likely about the money.

He has spent his time ripping off attendees, suppliers, and his own employees. He is high on his own self ego and worth and by all accounts the summit this year is a shadow of its former self from 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I believe the 700K+ was for stands etc at the events over the last four years.

bollocks

Thats a great rebutal there, full of facts and figures, you clearly know what your talking about

bollocks

Even if the government had offered them a million or 1.2 million in cash they would have moved because

1 - Lisbon offered more.
    2 - Paddy's demands were unobtainable without requiring the government to engage in corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

my friend wrote: »
    Thinking of holding an IOT WORLD CONFERENCE next year and hold it in Dublin at the same time as the web summit in Lisbon

The 'web' is so yesterday

All I need is for Adrian Weckler to lust after me and I'm set for favourable publicity

IOT Summit is a really good idea. Hopefully someone will pick up on it.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/web-summit/irate-game-of-thrones-star-dublin-losing-the-web-summit-is-an-embarrassment-34166473.html

facepalm!

Lol, How is them running the Wi-Fi going oh yes that was everyone else's fault not the organisers. They lost all credibility when they blamed others for there terrible supply of Wi-Fi network access..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Paddy has made a real miss step by constantly crying wolf.

If he had just left it with the first story where a lot of people were fooled into the "blame de gubernment" game he was playing. However the more and more he has tried to spin the more and more people are starting to see through the facade "of saint Paddy the tech company provider and savior of Ireland" his egomania is obsessed with keeping alive.
    Yep. Paddy runs a for profit company, and while I'm all for helping private enterprise, the taxpayer should not have to simply open their wallets so he can make money off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bollocks
    Hi Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The more I hear them piss and moan that nobody held their hands and told them they were special little flowers and do their jobs for them the more I'm glad they are fu*king off to Lisbon.

I know a Russian girl studying at trinity who does some modeling work who along with a group of friends was given free three day passes and complimentary food and beverages because and I quote "the organisers didn't want a sausage fest so they handed out passes to attractive STEM students in Trinity and UCD".

Ridiculous.

I did read that 99% of the attendance this year was male.There seemed to have been more women there in former years. Perhaps they
    were better at copping on to the fact that the
    Web Summit is a big scam!! ;)

None of the demands cosgrave et al were making are the responsibility of the government to take care of.

They gave them the 700,00 over the last few years, its gone... end of, its not like they gave it to them yesterday.

Lisbon offered them 1.7 million to go there, no word on if that is gonna be a yearly deal or not, so as much as paddy says it was not about the money quite a lot of it was very likely about the money.

He has spent his time ripping off attendees, suppliers, and his own employees. He is high on his own self ego and worth and by all accounts the summit this year is a shadow of its former self from 3 years ago.

so why were the government getting involved and why are ministers lining up to stick their nose in now? its none of their responsibility.... I dunno, Im just going to straight up say that your first comment there is ignorant and pretty fu*king dumb. Like, IT IS the governments responsibility to make sure multinational events like this go ahead and are as good as they can be. It very much is, this is the exact kind of thing we should have been doing ages ago but no no - IRELAND - where every little thing is just difficult and stupid. We can't even do buses properly.

and your last point there, crikey, just proof in the pudding that you are pretty much clueless. "ITS A SHADOW OF ITSELF" - "PORTUGAL OFFERS 1.7m TO HOST IT"
    what is it you said "so much facepalm hurr hurr hurr hurr" After Hours............

Been watching some of it on RTE for the crack, Seems a pretty terrible talking shop and self gratification minor names bigged up like Gates and Jobs.

so why were the government getting involved and why are ministers lining up to stick their nose in now? its none of their responsibility.... I dunno, Im just going to straight up say that your first comment there is ignorant and pretty fu*king dumb. Like, IT IS the governments responsibility to make sure multinational events like this go ahead and are as good as they can be. It very much is, this is the exact kind of thing we should have been doing ages ago but no no - IRELAND - where every little thing is just difficult and stupid. We can't even do buses properly.

and your last point there, crikey, just proof in the pudding that you are pretty much clueless. "ITS A SHADOW OF ITSELF" - "PORTUGAL OFFERS 1.7m TO HOST IT"
    what is it you said "so much facepalm hurr hurr hurr hurr" After Hours............

Let us know who's responsibility it is to provide Buses, Transport to and from the event, hotels cheap ones that is the list goes on. Let me remind one it's not the Governments responsibility any of that. How come other events never seem to have issues ?

so why were the government getting involved and why are ministers lining up to stick their nose in now? its none of their responsibility....
    They're not getting involved. They are however replying to a comment that paddy made calling previous government funding "Hush money" which is not true.
    I dunno, Im just going to straight up say that your first comment there is ignorant and pretty fu*king dumb. Like, IT IS the governments responsibility to make sure multinational events like this go ahead and are as good as they can be.
    Well no, it's the event organisers responsibility.
    It very much is, this is the exact kind of thing we should have been doing ages ago but no no - IRELAND - where every little thing is just difficult and stupid. We can't even do buses properly.
    When you say "we" do you mean the government? As in, a state funded summit? Or do you explicitly mean that the tax payer should give money to Paddy's private organisation in order for him to make a few more million?
    Take a deep breath there Paddy, you're losing the run of yourself and not even making sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like, IT IS the governments responsibility to make sure multinational events like this go ahead and are as good as they can be.
    It would be, if the government were running it.

This is an event run by a private company, for profit. They don't run it for the benefit of Ireland or the benefit of the attendees or the exhibitors. They run it to make a profit.

Why should the government get involved in making it "as good as it can be"? Isn't that the responsibility of the private company who is making the profits from it?

Yes, the government should work at attracting for-profit events to the country, but not by getting involved in the event management.

So you'd be happy for the government to step in and price fix all the hotels in dublin, pay for the cost of traffic management during the entire event, pay for the cost of garda escorts for summit "VIPS", somehow fix the wifi problems?

Do you know anyone at it? Cus I do and the reports except from weckler and other bum chums of paddy's are not good. The ratio between investors and startups is the lowest its been since the event started.

I do have to LOL at your accusation that my comment is typical after hours after you posted this
    bollocks

Thinking about it maybe they should have asked that senator about fixing the Wi-Fi, You know the one with the wiffy code and FB raping. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

you clearly don't have a clue about even the publicly available background involved here.

perhaps you should go and actually read up on what has been happening, and what this private company wanted the government to start controlling and arranging for them.

multiquote nonsense

so amazingly naive and full of crap.
    Yes, the government should be doing everything they can to help events and businesses like this. Thats what a government does, they govern. when something like this comes a long you make sure it works, you work with the people involved and you try and make it as good as it can be. Instead, you and the rest have the same small time spiteful attitude of "WELL WHAT ARE WEEEEE GETTING OUT OF IT" such a blinkered and small minded attitude to how business works in the world. You have an event like this - you make sure traffic and buses work properly, you make sure hotels aren't taking the piss, you make sure that everyone of those business leaders leaves with a great impression of the country.
    This naive attitude of "OH WELL ITS UP TO THEM" doesn't help a fu*king jot and is indicative of exactly what has been wrong with this country for years. bite your nose off to spite your face

and the "Take a deep breath there Paddy, you're losing the run of yourself and not even making sense now."
    no it makes perfect sense - Why would Portugal pay that much for something thats "a shadow of its former self" which is what that person I quoted said. That person had previously gone "so much facepalm" so I took the piss out of them by showing just how stupid and naive their thought process on this subject is.
    and yeah, After Hours because all my experiences here are like dealing with absolutely clueless and short sighted people. No wonder this forum has a reputation of a cesspit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Is it actually a summit though?

"A summit meeting (or just summit) is a meeting of heads of state or government, usually with considerable media exposure, tight security, and a prearranged agenda"

you clearly don't have a clue about even the publicly available background involved here.

perhaps you should go and actually read up on what has been happening, and what this private company wanted the government to start controlling and arranging for them.

Oh I think they do, I have my suspicions about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sorry Paddy Cosgrave, you're taking it to Level Brooks on the farce scale now.

Lads like Liam Cunningham need to be careful of being so indignant over things they know little about, look at how much of an eejit Gabriel Byrne seemed after loosing the run of himself over The Gathering.

Keep it all in perspective, the Web Summit only came about because a vibrant tech sector existed in this City beforehand, and one will exist long after the Web Summit has done its global locust tour.

Incidentally, why isn't the Web Summit conducted online.......

so amazingly naive and full of crap.
    Yes, the government should be doing everything they can to help events and businesses like this. Thats what a government does, they govern. when something like this comes a long you make sure it works, you work with the people involved and you try and make it as good as it can be. Instead, you and the rest have the same small time spiteful attitude of "WELL WHAT ARE WEEEEE GETTING OUT OF IT" such a blinkered and small minded attitude to how business works in the world. You have an event like this - you make sure traffic and buses work properly, you make sure hotels aren't taking the piss, you make sure that everyone of those business leaders leaves with a great impression of the country.
    This naive attitude of "OH WELL ITS UP TO THEM" doesn't help a fu*king jot and is indicative of exactly what has been wrong with this country for years. bite your nose off to spite your face

and the "Take a deep breath there Paddy, you're losing the run of yourself and not even making sense now."
    no it makes perfect sense - Why would Portugal pay that much for something thats "a shadow of its former self" which is what that person I quoted said. That person had previously gone "so much facepalm" so I took the piss out of them by showing just how stupid and naive their thought process on this subject is.
    and yeah, After Hours because all my experiences here are like dealing with absolutely clueless and short sighted people. No wonder this forum has a reputation of a cesspit

Tldr, It's the Organisers fault for not planning no one else's get off the stage.

So you'd be happy for the government to step in and
    somehow fix the wifi problems?

pfft as if Enda could configure the wifi router! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

you make sure hotels aren't taking the piss

How exactly do you do this? A little thing called supply and demand dictates the price charged by private enterprises. Are you saying the Government should force these private enterprises to charge a certain price?

And what do you think about Paddy Cosgrave's statement about hotels price gouging while at the same time doing the same himself with the food?

Tldr, It's the Organisers fault for not planning no one else's get off the stage.

"tldr" - yeah you got it buddy, that right there, thats the attitude :)
    and just hilarious the calling me "Paddy" like I have anything to do with Web Summit. I just know bullcrap when I see it and Im sorry if it upsets you. I'll unsub this thread and leave you all to fill your collective heads with the ol' "HURRR DURR TAXPAYERS MONEY HURRRR" crap which litters oh about 70% of this forum. Small minded, small time, spiteful - its like a micro version of everything wrong in this country right here

• Advertisement

facepalm!

Actors shouldn't comment on anything ever.

Advertisement