Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I just saw the Sharon Ní Bheoláin interview.
    Asks a question and then interrupts when he's answering..

She also had a lot of references to the Tax payers money, Enterprise Ireland money, IVA..
    I never get it when an RTE employee spurts out those type of comment implying that it's a bad thing, when RTE is entirely state funded. Ryan Tubridy's (amongst others) massive wages are all tax payers money.

The web summit should be valued a thousand times higher than any of those (people) . Especially given that it's value will be more and more apparent in coming years, whereas I can't see any return in paying RTE wages.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Synode wrote: »
    How exactly do you do this? A little thing called supply and demand dictates the price charged by private enterprises. Are you saying the Government should force these private enterprises to charge a certain price?

And what do you think about Paddy Cosgrave's statement about hotels price gouging while at the same time doing the same himself with the food?

oh its actually impossible you are right. how god damn stupid of me to expect a government to have any power in anything.

and yeah, the food is bullcrap tbh. dunno what they are at there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

BMMachine wrote: »
    "tldr" - yeah you got it buddy, that right there, thats the attitude :)
    and just hilarious the calling me "Paddy" like I have anything to do with Web Summit. I just know bullcrap when I see it and Im sorry if it upsets you. I'll unsub this thread and leave you all to fill your collective heads with the ol' "HURRR DURR TAXPAYERS MONEY HURRRR" crap which litters oh about 70% of this forum. Small minded, small time, spiteful - its like a micro version of everything wrong in this country right here

Please outline how any of this is not the Fault of the Organiser. Please explain what Government interference in the private sector one is looking for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

so amazingly naive and full of crap.
    If you can't construct a valid argument, or even sentence then you should probably stop posting.

Yes, the government should be doing everything they can to help events and businesses like this.
    By engaging in corruption to help a private organisation profit?
    Thats what a government does, they govern. when something like this comes a long you make sure it works, you work with the people involved and you try and make it as good as it can be. Instead, you and the rest have the same small time spiteful attitude of "WELL WHAT ARE WEEEEE GETTING OUT OF IT" such a blinkered and small minded attitude to how business works in the world. You have an event like this - you make sure traffic and buses work properly, you make sure hotels aren't taking the piss, you make sure that everyone of those business leaders leaves with a great impression of the country.
    I get the feeling that you don't have a clue what the government do.
    This naive attitude of "OH WELL ITS UP TO THEM" doesn't help a fu*king jot and is indicative of exactly what has been wrong with this country for years. bite your nose off to spite your face
    Here, I want to start a conference. Will you help me get loads of free stuff and money from the tax payer?
    and the "Take a deep breath there Paddy, you're losing the run of yourself and not even making sense now."
    no it makes perfect sense - Why would Portugal pay that much for something thats "a shadow of its former self" which is what that person I quoted said. That person had previously gone "so much facepalm" so I took the piss out of them by showing just how stupid and naive their thought process on this subject is.
    Given your responses, you're not really in a position credible enough to be calling anyone stupid or naive.
    and yeah, After Hours because all my experiences here are like dealing with absolutely clueless and short sighted people. No wonder this forum has a reputation of a cesspit
    Someone get this guy some rescue remedy or something before his head explodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

oh its actually impossible you are right. how god damn stupid of me to expect a government to have any power in anything.

So your actually saying you want to government to interfere in the running of an entire private industries pricing on behalf of another private company? And you see nothing wrong with that?

Also you do know the web summit was buying many of those rooms and then reselling them to attendees at a markup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    There's no doubt the Web Summit has garnered lots of media coverage in Ireland over the last few years. You'd have to wonder if Portugal will give anywhere near as much of a sh1t about it. Paddy is well-connected in Ireland, I understand, but does that matter in Portugal?

Also interesting that the Web Summit is garnering criticism from the Indo, considering that Daire Hickey used to write for them a bit. I suppose 'used' is the key word here. Maybe they thought the media would be on their side? But I guess the released email correspondence speaks for itself.

There were plenty of people on Twitter supporting Daire and raging at Sharon.
    Her.ie and Joe.ie definitely in the Daire
    camp. His pals are also doing overtime
    in some of the comments sections of the
    papers. He did manage to keep his cool
    while she eviscerated him, but the ripping
    off of the mike and the murderous glance
    he gave in Sharon's direction at the end
    of the interview showed how angry he really
    felt. It looked rather hilarious!

Personally, I was glad to see Sharon express
    the frustration which so many of us feel towards
    these entitled muppets who were apoplectic at
    our government for not throwing more of the
    taxpayers' hard earned money at their price
    gouging enterprise!! :(

It reminds me of that "leave britney alone" fella Tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If you want to prevent hotels price gouging, you go to the hotels and negotiate with them.
    This is what every other event does, from big events eg http://btyoungscientist.com/accommodation/ which is in a similar location and of a similar size to tiny events like a wedding.

You don't ask the guy who's running the country to intervene.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

smash wrote: »
    If you can't construct a valid argument, or even sentence then you should probably stop posting.

By engaging in corruption to help a private organisation profit?

I get the feeling that you don't have a clue what the government do.

Here, I want to start a conference. Will you help me get loads of free stuff and money from the tax payer?

Given your responses, you're not really in a position credible enough to be calling anyone stupid or naive.

Someone get this guy some rescue remedy or something before his head explodes.

28000 posts in 9 years and this is the best you can come up with? the ol multiquote "well if i break everything down into nitty gritty parts I'll seem right" what a load of bs.

"Here, I want to start a conference. Will you help me get loads of free stuff and money from the tax payer?" - if it generates business opportunities, income and portrays Ireland as a great place to do business then yeah, abso-fu*king-lutely I will.

Perspective, you lack it in spades

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Allyall wrote: »
    I never get it when an RTE employee spurts out those type of comment implying that it's a bad thing, when RTE is entirely state funded. Ryan Tubridy's (amongst others) massive wages are all tax payers money.
    RTE is not entirely state funded.
    The web summit should be valued a thousand times higher than any of those. Especially given that it's value will be more and more apparent in coming years, whereas I can't see any return in paying RTE wages.
    What value will the summit return in the coming years?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

kbannon wrote: »

Potentially billions if we get the next Verizon or AOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

RTE is not entirely state funded...

If you're referring to that portion of RTE's funding that comes from the television license, then that is state funding as well, because if I don't pay it the state sends the Wallopers round to take me to prison. :pac:

28000 posts in 9 years and this is the best you can come up with? the ol multiquote "well if i break everything down into nitty gritty parts I'll seem right" what a load of bs.
    Would you rather I just start typing bullet points after your wall of misinformed nonsense?
    "Here, I want to start a conference. Will you help me get loads of free stuff and money from the tax payer?" - if it generates business opportunities, income and portrays Ireland as a great place to do business then yeah, abso-fu*king-lutely I will.
    Oh, you think this is what Web Summit does for the state?
    Basic understanding of pretty much everything being discussed on this thread, you lack it in spades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ted1 wrote: »
    What price gouging went on ? Hotels do have a max rack rate. It's supply and demand. From the interview it's clear that rather than go to the hotels they were trying to get the government to do it, they should have approached them themselves. They also tried to get the government to provide free leap cards.

Can you imagine what would happen then
    The ploughing championship , Horse show, funderland, FAI, IRFU, etc would all expect the same treatment.

I wouldn't agree with free leap cards, I would agree with the government restricting the hiking of prices during major events and I would certainly believe (as I've been saying for a long time) that public transport prices, leap or not, are a ridiculous disgrace in Ireland and that the government needs to deal with that.

To my mind, this is not actually about the Web Summit - all the Web Summit has done is bring the ridiculous cost of living in Dublin to the fore, it's something which needs to be tackled regardless of the Web Summit and I'm glad they've brought it to the public debating table. They've just increased public transport fees again - they need to be slashes, they're already far too expensive. To take just one example.

Please explain how this is not the Organisers fault. What Government interference into the private sector is one looking for ? Looking at a lot of the stalls in the summit it's stuff that's already in start-up in other places or stuff that does not need solving. It's pretty much a talking shop and a bad one at that. News just in Web summit organisers cannot supply adequate Wi-Fi network access and blame the Government. Sorry as soon as they banged on about their own failing to supply network access they lost all credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

so basically you want the government to go around interfering in private enterprises to help out a different private enterprise?
    you'd probably be the first complaining about the government's actions when they gt brought in front of the High Court for that interference :rolleyes:

Synode wrote: »
    How exactly do you do this? A little thing called supply and demand dictates the price charged by private enterprises. Are you saying the Government should force these private enterprises to charge a certain price?

Absolutely. It should be part of consumer protection law that you can't hike prices from your normal price to take advantage of tourists etc during major events. I think a lot of people would have no problem with this.

so basically you want the government to go around interfering in private enterprises to help out a different private enterprise?
    you'd probably be the first complaining about the government's actions when they gt brought in front of the High Court for that interference :rolleyes:

It's not just about helping private enterprise. The cost of living in Dublin in general is appalling and I absolutely believe that the government needs to introduce controls of some kind.

I just saw the Sharon Ní Bheoláin interview.
    Asks a question and then interrupts when he's answering..

She also had a lot of references to the Tax payers money, Enterprise Ireland money, IVA..

The web summit should be valued a thousand times higher than any of those. Especially given that it's value will be more and more apparent in coming years, whereas I can't see any return in paying RTE wages.

well yeah, if you're a hotelier or taximan I suppose.

Also, there are laws against price gouging in other countries, this isn't just some crazy, random idea. Not everyone worships economic libertarianism.

• Advertisement

It's not just about helping private enterprise. The cost of living in Dublin in general is appalling and I absolutely believe that the government needs to introduce controls of some kind.
    there are already loads of government controls for prices of various things.

jimgoose wrote: »
    If you're referring to that portion of RTE's funding that comes from the television license, then that is state funding as well, because if I don't pay it the state sends the Wallopers round to take me to prison. :pac:

I was referring to the adverts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Absolutely. It should be part of consumer protection law that you can't hike prices from your normal price to take advantage of tourists etc during major events. I think a lot of people would have no problem with this.

I think it's a bit naive to think that the money won't be made up by just charging more during off peak times. This is how you get cheap flights, mid-week deals in hotels & restaurants etc.

Anyway, I think the cost of the summit tickets has shown that the hotel prices is a complete red herring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The prices the hotels charge for these events are their rack rate. That is always their maximum price.

The prices you pay at any other stage are "On Sale."

You know, like the DFS Sale? It's always on.

Also, there are laws against price gouging in other countries, this isn't just some crazy, random idea. Not everyone worships economic libertarianism.
    there are laws against "price-gouging" here too, hence the prices of transport* being regulated during this week.

* well, taxis and public transport anyway, maybe the Web Summit are charging outrages prices for their shuttles like they are for the food and hoodies.

The prices the hotels charge for these events are their rack rate. That is always their maximum price.

The prices you pay at any other stage are "On Sale."

You know, like the DFS Sale? It's always on.

Aye, They have a top price and then go down from that during off peak. Nothing dodgy or untoward about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Six one last night Sharon specifically asked Daire Hickey if he or web summit had engaged with the Hotel Federation re room rates in response Daire bullshïted an answer that showed us what an idiot organisation web summit is.

web summit, Paddy and Daire didn't engage with the Hotel Federation , watch the interview, you too can see through their shïte

Daire could also do with some anger management instruction, Sharon schooled the boy Daire and he couldn't handle it

Are you referring to the licence?
    The advertising barely pays for the glasses of water on the LLS.

I suppose I could rephrase it.
    Given that the 4 years funding they have had equates to "roughly 3/4 of a million" and that 2 years of Tubridy's reduced wages equals the same, I know where I'd find more value/return for my money, except I'm not being given that choice.

The Web Summit has the potential to help startups, fund small businesses as well as educating many people on the potential/future of the internet.

Fwiw, I'm not necessarily defending the Web Summit Crew. I just can't stand when RTE gets on it's high horse about things that it already abuses. Taxpayers money being the real bone of contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

my friend wrote: »
    Sharon schooled the boy Daire and he couldn't handle it

This is no word of a lie, Sharon Ní B taught me Irish in the Connemara Gaeltacht one summer. She hasnt altered her style one bit. Gorgeous, but a demon to deal with.

• Advertisement

Six one last night Sharon specifically asked Daire Hickey if he or web summit had engaged with the Hotel Federation re room rates in response Daire bullshïted an answer that showed us what an idiot organisation web summit is.

web summit, Paddy and Daire didn't engage with the Hotel Federation , watch the interview, you too can see through their shïte

Daire could also do with some anger management instruction, Sharon schooled the boy Daire and he couldn't handle it

Schooled hard alright , I bet he took to twitter and all that and came up with some snappy comebacks having time to think all to late of course. :pac::pac:

Whether you thought Sharron Ni B to be a thundering bitch, or a great interviewer, there's one to to be gleamed from it. Daire wasn't ready for that interview, and if I was him, I'd be pissed at Paddy for throwing him to the hounds.

Whether you thought Sharron Ni B to be a thundering bitch, or a great interviewer, there's one to to be gleamed from it. Daire wasn't ready for that interview, and if I was him, I'd be pissed at Paddy for throwing him to the hounds.

More like under the Very expensive Shuttle bus :P

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Potentially billions if we get the next Verizon or AOL

Ha! Verizon ? You really don't get it do you?

Verizon is merely the current name of a company that grew from Alexander Graham Bells invention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Hotel prices going up when there are large events on is how they make money. It's called capitalism. I don't think it is the governments place to intervene in price planning of hotels.

I was in San Francisco when the Dreamforce conference was on (160,000 attendees). My hotel jumped from 300 dollars a night to 800 dollars a night once the conference started (I had to move to an airport hotel as it was my last night).

Cruise ships were docked to provide accommodation for attendees.

If Steve Jobs were alive I reckon he'd kick Paddy Cosgrave in the nutsack for stealing his 'conference' styling

• Advertisement

If Steve Jobs were alive I reckon he'd kick Paddy Cosgrave in the nutsack for stealing his 'conference' styling

Nah, It looks like a really bad version of blizzcon terrible interviews and public speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The government should be looking to find out if the city's infrastructure is limiting the kind of events that could be held here, and whether improvements to infrastructure would end up being repaid and rewarded by more events and visitors - and whether such investment is the best way to achieve the desired results.

But just cause Cosgrave says it is true doesn't make it so. He seems to be a fairly untrustworthy hypocrite to be honest.

He'd have to wait until he's finished with Lei Jun :pac:

osarusan wrote: »
    The government should be looking to find out if the city's infrastructure is limiting the kind of events that could be held here, and whether improvements to infrastructure would end up being repaid and rewarded by more events and visitors - and whether such investment is the best way to achieve the desired results.

But just cause Cosgrave says it is true doesn't make it so. He seems to be a fairly untrustworthy hypocrite to be honest.

Other events seem to go off fine, But then again they supply buses themselves and other transport arrangements. They don't tend to expect the government to supply it. Sure even the water charge protesters managed to get into Dublin in large numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I wouldn't agree with free leap cards, I would agree with the government restricting the hiking of prices during major events and I would certainly believe (as I've been saying for a long time) that public transport prices, leap or not, are a ridiculous disgrace in Ireland and that the government needs to deal with that.

To my mind, this is not actually about the Web Summit - all the Web Summit has done is bring the ridiculous cost of living in Dublin to the fore, it's something which needs to be tackled regardless of the Web Summit and I'm glad they've brought it to the public debating table. They've just increased public transport fees again - they need to be slashes, they're already far too expensive. To take just one example.

You obviously don't understand how markets work, it's supply and demand, prices are set at what the market bears. It happens in every small town in the world and is not unique to Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i got that too
    looks like they emailed the taoiseach and asked him to sort out their list of suggested demands rather than engaging the relevant people.
    arrogant fools.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is no word of a lie, Sharon Ní B taught me Irish in the Connemara Gaeltacht one summer. She hasnt altered her style one bit. Gorgeous, but a demon to deal with.

you've aroused me :pac:

osarusan wrote: »

More than 20,000 a day attended the Horse Show.

The Ploughing Championships pulled in a total of 200,000 over the course of the event.

Paddy's numbers aren't extraordinary.

Chirst, if he had gotten onto http://www.dublinconventionbureau.com/ they would have pointed him in the right direction.

Yes, the Government should be involved in ensuring the infrastructure is in place, but absolutely should not be involved directly.

I really don't understand this fawning appreciation we have in this country with dickheads in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why does this get so much air time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hotel prices going up when there are large events on is how they make money. It's called capitalism. I don't think it is the governments place to intervene in price planning of hotels.

I was in San Francisco when the Dreamforce conference was on (160,000 attendees). My hotel jumped from 300 dollars a night to 800 dollars a night once the conference started (I had to move to an airport hotel as it was my last night).

Yeah but Obama should have intervened to make sure that those hotel prices stay cheap. And he should have layed on free police escorts to anyone who wanted them so they didn't have to be caught up with the plebs in traffic. Most importantly he should have closed down sections of the city so that the Dreamforce people could have a big private party!

Thanks Obama!

The way some people are going on you'd swear paddy had 30,000 people in a room trying to spend millions in the country and all trying to connect to wifi at once after they've had to fork out thousands for a hotel that's got no transport facilities.

The reality is very very different.

Are you referring to the licence?
    The advertising barely pays for the glasses of water on the LLS.
    I really don't want to derail this thread but just to clarify one matter: approx 40% of RTEs revenue came from advertising (in 2012 which is the only year I can find):
    The following figures were issued by RTÉ as part of their Annual report 2012. In 2012 RTÉ received in total €180,894,000 in public funding from the licence fee, it also received €127,100,000 in commercial revenue.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raidi%C3%B3_Teilif%C3%ADs_%C3%89ireann#Income_and_expenditure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Hang on there tonto are you seriously saying the web summit is a thousand times more valuable than IDA and Enterprise Ireland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Wifi is very dodgy today but plenty of women in attendance.

Hang on there tonto are you seriously saying the web summit is a thousand times more valuable than IDA and Enterprise Ireland??

:confused:
    No... no no no no.. not at all..

Don't know how I phrased it, that it sounded like that. All I was/am saying is the web summit is a thousand times more valuable than many RTE employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

:confused:
    No... no no no no.. not at all..

Don't know how I phrased it, that it sounded like that. All I was/am saying is the web summit is a thousand times more valuable than any RTE employee.

Doesn't matter how you phrase it, it's a mental statement. Is the Web Summit 1,000 times more valuable than the people documentary makers and investigators in Prime Time exposed the child abuse going on in the ‘A Breach of Trust’ documentary?

• Advertisement
Advertisement