Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Doesn't matter how you phrase it, it's a mental statement. Is the Web Summit 1,000 times more valuable than the people documentary makers and investigators in Prime Time exposed the child abuse going on in the ‘A Breach of Trust’ documentary?

Go back to what I wrote.

I was specifically referring to Tub's and the likes on €373,000 a year etc..

EDIT - Okay, saw my mistake and edited it in the above post. I didn't mean "any" RTE employee, I meant the ones on ludicrous wages and comparing what it would fund in terms of the web Summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Allyall wrote: »
    Go back to what I wrote.

I was specifically referring to Tub's and the likes on €373,000 a year etc..

So it as just a cheap dig at RTE then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

efb wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97611369&postcount=931

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sharon ni bheolain seems worth the money she tore that hipster and his nonsense apart almost reducing him to tears. Made him have a tantrum at the end with the mic and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Sharon ni bheolain seems worth the money she tore that hipster and his nonsense apart almost reducing him to tears. Made him have a tantrum at the end with the mic and all.

I hadn't noticed the little tantrum at the end. Just watched it again on the RTE player. Very funny :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

waraf wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed the little tantrum at the end. Just watched it again on the RTE player. Very funny :-)
    Was this on the news last night? Wanna watch!

Fairness to Sharon she's had her fill of internet geeks to o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Was this on the news last night? Wanna watch!

You'll catch it on player, six one news about half way through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

waraf wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97608568&postcount=799

Gets funnier each time. It's exactly like what a spoilt kid does when called out on nonsense by a parent. Can just imagine, “so unfair!“.

• Advertisement

Why can't the government just do their own one next year???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They probably will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

efb wrote:

You're talking about a crowd who came up with eircode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

No reason. Just like there is no reason another company can't do something similar, and make money from it.

For The iCraic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No reason. Just like there is no reason another company can't do something similar, and make money from it.

For The iCraic

And maybe go back to the roots and have on that is specific to start ups and that gives start ups the opportunity to pitch to people and not be exploited as they obviously are at the moment. Last year when I saw what they were given as "stands" I was shocked and then I found out they only have them for one day!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tivoli1300

VinLieger wrote: »
    So your actually saying you want to government to interfere in the running of an entire private industries pricing on behalf of another private company? And you see nothing wrong with that?

Also you do know the web summit was buying many of those rooms and then reselling them to attendees at a markup?

Has this been verified? I have seen several references to Websummit manipulating the hotel prices but cannot understand why (assuming it is true) the mainstream media not all over it. If true, this to me is beyond shocking, hypocritical, cynical etc. and should be good reason for no-one to do business with them again, here or Portugal or wherever.

Same for the food carry on - if it is the situation that vendors and punters have been conned. Big loser is Ireland's reputation if we tolerate this kind of exploitative and simply unconscionable behavior towards our visitors and our own.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Allyall wrote: »
    :confused:
    No... no no no no.. not at all..

Don't know how I phrased it, that it sounded like that. All I was/am saying is the web summit is a thousand times more valuable than many RTE employees.

That is highly debatable I mean for starters there is no remote markers that can be used to compare a govern ment funded national tv and radio broadcaster with a private 3 day conferance event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

gandalf wrote: »
    And maybe go back to the roots and have on that is specific to start ups and that gives start ups the opportunity to pitch to people and not be exploited as they obviously are at the moment. Last year when I saw what they were given as "stands" I was shocked and then I found out they only have them for one day!!!!

They do this already just not in a loud brash way. Have a look on the Enterprise Ireland website for High Potential Startup Program

seachto7 wrote: »
    You're talking about a crowd who came up with eircode

I like Eircode, but I'm from the country

They do this already just not in a loud brash way. Have a look on the Enterprise Ireland website for High Potential Startup Program

Oh I am aware of Enterprise Ireland, they do actually do a lot of good work with Startups that have export potential.

To be clear I'm talking about someone starting up a smaller scale event from a private company. There is now an obvious gap in the market from next year onwards. Maybe even have it a few days before or after the WS in Lisbon so the yanks going to that can justify another event here. They are all going to have to get connecting flights to Lisbon from somewhere as there are very few direct connections to the US from Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

brooke 2 wrote: »
    There were plenty of people on Twitter supporting Daire and raging at Sharon.
    Her.ie and Joe.ie definitely in the Daire
    camp. His pals are also doing overtime
    in some of the comments sections of the
    papers. He did manage to keep his cool
    while she eviscerated him, but the ripping
    off of the mike and the murderous glance
    he gave in Sharon's direction at the end
    of the interview showed how angry he really
    felt. It looked rather hilarious!

Personally, I was glad to see Sharon express
    the frustration which so many of us feel towards
    these entitled muppets who were apoplectic at
    our government for not throwing more of the
    taxpayers' hard earned money at their price
    gouging enterprise!! :(

I'd say Sharon had a smoke and satisfied smirk on her after carpeting yer man on live televison, the kinky minx

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

gandalf wrote: »
    Oh I am aware of Enterprise Ireland, they do actually do a lot of good work with Startups that have export potential.

To be clear I'm talking about someone starting up a smaller scale event from a private company. There is now an obvious gap in the market from next year onwards. Maybe even have it a few days before or after the WS in Lisbon so the yanks going to that can justify another event here. They are all going to have to get connecting flights to Lisbon from somewhere as there are very few direct connections to the US from Lisbon.

Posted on this thread that I'm thinking of holding 'The IOT World Conference' here next year, as previously posted 'web' is so passé

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just can't fathom how someone could cultivate so much negative press from themselves. All they had to do was say that Lisbon offered a better deal for them. End of. Move on. They're a private for-profit company, they are always going to act in selfish interests. That's what private companies do. But instead, and out of nowhere, they implode and descend into a series of highly public spats, resulting in yer man making an idiot out of himself on the news yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'd wonder will it even survive until Lisbon, there appears to be some significant problems at senior level with Web Summit Ltd. The phrase take a look in the mirror comes to mind.

You'd know the gloves are off when junior ministers are saying "if you dont like the colour of our money, give it ****ing back."

Websummit quiz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

After all the whining about rip offs from them #FoodGate is hilarious.
    Probably better marketing for Aldi than any of the people with food stands.

https://twitter.com/Aldi_Ireland/status/661889367745646592

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dloob wrote: »

You know you fcuked up when you're being trolled by Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Seems most of the defenders of Cosgrove and Hickey are clueless about private enterprises. Completely the responsibility of the event organisers to go to the hotels and negotiate something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

dloob wrote: »

Throw in a barbeque and the other ingredients required for a burger and I'd probably pay a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

brooke 2 wrote: »
    There were plenty of people on Twitter supporting Daire and raging at Sharon.
    Her.ie and Joe.ie definitely in the Daire
    camp.
    If those two pieces of e-excrement and the morons who read them are sticking up for Daire, that's a pretty good indicator that it was a very professional interview from Sharon Ni Bheolain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Got a taxi home last night - the driver put it more eloquently than I ever could -

"I'm f*cking sick to death hearing about this bleedin' summit d'ya know what I mean?"

You and me both Mr. Taxi Driver Man, you and me both.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Got a taxi home last night - the driver put it more eloquently than I ever could -

"I'm f*cking sick to death hearing about this bleedin' summit d'ya know what I mean?"

You and me both Mr. Taxi Driver Man, you and me both.

One more day and the nightmare will be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Bambi wrote: »

FOREVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Has there been any more said about the 20quid 'meals'.

I know the food providers agreed on 8quid, but were they told that E8 what they would get, or that E8 is what the customers would be paying.

If it's the latter, it looks like one final scam before heading for Lisbon and not coming back. Can't imagine there would be too many companies looking to provide the food in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

osarusan wrote: »

I know the food providers agreed on 8quid, but were they told that E8 what they would get, or that E8 is what the customers would be paying.

If it's the latter, it looks like one final scam before heading for Lisbon and not coming back. Can't imagine there would be too many companies looking to provide the food in the future.

The pictures are fairly bad.. Not really worth a fiver never mind twenty.

osarusan wrote: »

One of the posters yesterday who said they were working on one of the food stands said that the fact that the WS were charging for the meals was news to them and they only found out yesterday morning themselves like the attendees. From my understanding they received €8 per meal from the Websummit so PC and friends were marking up the costs by 250% which is astonishing given their rants against the hotels price hikes!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

PC responds to government feedback...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Great article here: http://www.newstalk.com/Inside-WebSummit-day-2

Some of the points raised..
    Web Summit is a commercial entity and they are fully entitled to move their conference locations to wherever they wish. It's sad to lose it from Dublin, but the whole bitchy exchange that followed the announcement of their re-location to Lisbon has been laughable.
    The publication of emails between the Web Summit and the Irish government was silliness. It paints a very poor picture of the people behind the whole operation.
    I remember sitting in front of the main stage at Web Summit last year, with no Wifi and watching Paddy Cosgrave take to the stage and give a sardonic slow clap to the RDS for their Internet services (or lack thereof). In all my time as a journalist, I have never seen anything like it. He was clearly angry, which is understandable. I don't, for one second, question how hard the Web Summit team works. But I do think it was embarrassing to see a CEO take a public shot at their host location in that vain, with the world's media sitting there watching.

Web Summit has control of the WiFi services this year and yet there are still issues. Does any of the team want to take to the stage and point that out? Didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

smash wrote: »
    Great article here: http://www.newstalk.com/Inside-WebSummit-day-2

Some of the points raised..

Though this
    Charging €20 for a burger and a bottle of water is galling, but that's how supply and demand works.

It's also why hotels get more expensive too if there's an event on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Be like the banishment of witches from medieval villages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

my friend wrote: »
    If Steve Jobs were alive I reckon he'd kick Paddy Cosgrave in the nutsack for stealing his 'conference' styling

It's a bit cringe worthy, isn't it? I mean, it was even a cringe worthy when Steve Jobs did it, never mind some pube-haired, eejity conference organiser.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I would bet the Web Summit organisers are thinking the exact same thing!!

Be like the banishment of witches from medieval villages.

Don't think the witches got to trouser a load of cash before they were sent packing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

mzungu wrote: »
    I would bet the Web Summit organisers are thinking the exact same thing!!

Paddy will be on The Late Late on Friday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

CatFromHue wrote: »

And there is one for everybody in the audience,get your wallets out folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Unfortunately Tubridy can't do a half decent interview....bring in Sharon!!

We should do a Web Summit / Paddy Cosgrave bingo:

"we didn't want a penny"
    "unfair criticism"
    "we never wanted to go to Lisbon"
    etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hope paddy isnt mugged by some swarthy gaucho on the utopian streets of lisbon.

This really is a case of a man believing his own hype and the results are cringeworthy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The start of his rehabilitation to the Irish public! Mind you, it would be great TV if they trotted out Richard Bruton for a head to head.

mzungu wrote: »
    it would be great TV if they trotted out Richard Bruton for a head to head.

Or just switch Sharon Ní Bheoláin for Ryan Tubridy at the last minute:

"Stand me up on live TV would ye? Head on ye like a bursted matress, ye bleedin sap ye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It's a bit cringe worthy, isn't it? I mean, it was even a cringe worthy when Steve Jobs did it, never mind some pube-haired, eejity conference organiser.

What's all this boll*x of fellas showing up in shorts and flip flops, college dorm fashion. You're not in California now lads. :mad::mad:

I can't imagine anything more horrible than going on a corporate pub crawl.

Croke Park would bring in more on weekend than this crowd, but the country is supposed to fawn at their feet....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't watch the LLS and plan to continue this tradition!
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Tubridy can't do a half decent interview....bring in Sharon!!
    True but Tubridy has FF blood in him - might he use this to get a dig at the government?

• Advertisement
Advertisement