Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Paddy will be on The Late Late on Friday night!

I'm guessing Tubbers will be in attack dog mode like he was with Paul Murphy and Renua/Lucinda/Eddie Hobbs [and possibly others I haven't seen] ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Am I seeing this wrong. Watching rte 6 one news. Was Richard Bruton and other political attendees being intentionally pushed into potted plants as they made their entry into the web summit by their host? There was loads of room for everybody to comfortably walk in the walkway but you can clearly see them having to push the plants out of their faces. Paddy, you reach new lows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

flouncer wrote: »
    Am I seeing this wrong. Watching rte 6 one news. Was Richard Bruton and other political attendees being intentionally pushed into potted plants as they made their entry into the web summit by their host? There was loads of room for everybody to comfortably walk in the walkway but you can clearly see them having to push the plants out of their faces. Paddy, you reach new lows.

I laughed at that too!

I don't know who they were following though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Not getting the whole anti web summit mood. It's a money making operation, yes. It brings together large numbers of people looking for money with investors willing to give it if they think they can get more money back, yes. The organizers have no respect for politicians, yes. It's hypocritical giving out about price increases by hotels when it's at the same thing with food, yes. There's a lot of egotism about, yes.

Welcome to capitalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Not getting the whole anti web summit mood. It's a money making operation, yes. It brings together large numbers of people looking for money with investors willing to give it if they think they can get more money back, yes. The organizers have no respect for politicians, yes. It's hypocritical giving out about price increases by hotels when it's at the same thing with food, yes. There's a lot of egotism about, yes.

Welcome to capitalism.

My spider senses think they were already in talks with other places to get money. If it was not about money they would not be moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mzungu wrote: »
    The start of his rehabilitation to the Irish public! Mind you, it would be great TV if they trotted out Richard Bruton for a head to head.

I doubt Bruton would get down into the mud. I'd say he'd prefer to stick to the knitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Welcome to capitalism.

If they came out and said that then fine. But throwing the toys out of the pram and blaming everyone and anyone is childish in the extreme. Plus looking for taxpayers to foot various bills while at the same time charging ludicrous money for tickets, food etc is pretty galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Welcome to capitalism.

The problem is that they’re capitalists but rather than owning it and just moving on they’ve made repeated pitiful excuses and attempted to portray that everyone is against them. They want to be seen as businessmen but act like spoilt children (with at times as much savvy as a child).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

I laughed at that too!

I don't know who they were following though.
    I didn't say I laughed at that. The web summit were happy to take the eur700,000 of taxpayers money and this is how they repay it. While i'm no fan of our politicians I find this show of disrespect a show of disrespect to the Irish taxpayer and as such a show of disrespect to you and me. I actually don't find that funny at all.

Newstalk just tweeted a picture of a comparison for a Lisbon hotel for the week before and the week of the event next year and they’re 400% higher during the event.

‘It wasn’t about the money it was the assurances’ looks to be another lie by the boys.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Interesting blog entry from a startup - the summit seems to be singularly designed to siphon as much money as possible to Paddy by getting already paid up attendees to foot the bill for many of their activities.

https://www.yellowschedule.com/blog/web-summit/an-irish-start-ups-experience-of-the-web-summit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

It brings together large numbers of people looking for money with investors willing to give it if they think they can get more money back, yes.
    It really doesn't.. It exploits naive desperate people with unrealizable dreams of being the next Zuckerberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

He will be on the late late on Friday that will probably be an organised question only thing cause tubbers has no testicles to dive in with the hard questtions

Red Alert wrote: »
    Interesting blog entry from a startup - the summit seems to be singularly designed to siphon as much money as possible to Paddy by getting already paid up attendees to foot the bill for many of their activities.

https://www.yellowschedule.com/blog/web-summit/an-irish-start-ups-experience-of-the-web-summit/

Aye, I already compared it to a life coach. It's that kinda nonsense and taking advantage of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Newstalk just tweeted a picture of a comparison for a Lisbon hotel for the week before and the week of the event next year and they’re 400% higher during the event.

‘It wasn’t about the money it was the assurances’ looks to be another lie by the boys.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS-6rfLWsAEvzrd.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭Patser

efb wrote: »
    Why can't the government just do their own one next year???

Maybe Ruth Coppinger will nationalise it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Additionally, Irish based start-ups get emails asking them to host Summit pub crawls, which sounds like it’s going to be great exposure for the start-ups invited. However, you are asked to foot the bill at the bar, and don’t get to choose what companies you invite. It’s a way of the Summit getting the people who can least afford it to pay for some hospitality and give foreign attendees a good time.

Yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

jimmynokia wrote: »
    the hard questtions
    There will be some eloquantly rehearsed "hard" questions and "super" answers alright.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    There will be some eloquantly rehearsed "hard" questions and "super" answers alright.

I fully expect a sob story if he is let away with it. And playing the victim and not being unreasonable and child like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

@DublinArsenal: Due to the we summit the Arsenal game won't be showen in the The Mercantile . Sorry about any inconvenience... https://t.co/WpY8x9Acx9

Fecking Summit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gandalf wrote: »

Thought the lisbon boyos were gonna sort that "little problem" :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yikes!

An earlier post I made in the thread linked to a tweet where someone posted the letter they got from WS asking them to host a pub crawl. Shocking really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It really doesn't.. It exploits naive desperate people with unrealizable dreams of being the next Zuckerberg.

Someone should really forward these links onto the LLS researchers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In fairness, read enough 'I have an idea for an app/Web site' threads on Boards and you might start feeling that they deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

The whole thing is like some new form of boiler room scam.

Anything to get you to part with your cash so they can line their own pockets by the sound of it.

flouncer wrote: »
    I didn't say I laughed at that. The web summit were happy to take the eur700,000 of taxpayers money and this is how they repay it. While i'm no fan of our politicians I find this show of disrespect a show of disrespect to the Irish taxpayer and as such a show of disrespect to you and me. I actually don't find that funny at all.

I don't think it was anything malicious or done on purpose, more that the cameras started rolling at the worst time as they were in a narrow corridor.

But why all the angst? So it's exploiting dreams and doing it for self interest. And then accusations of naïveté thrown at it? There's naïveté alright but there plenty to go around.
    And a business presents itself as some sort of holier than thou entity and this is news?
    I think we need to lose the outrage. There are serious and important criticisms in the blog quoted: but startups are just pups that want to grow up into sharks. The criticisms are important to the extent startups turn into job providers, not dividend providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

efb wrote: »
    @DublinArsenal: Due to the we summit the Arsenal game won't be showen in the The Mercantile . Sorry about any inconvenience... https://t.co/WpY8x9Acx9

Fecking Summit

Much as I get mirth from Arsenal fans being caused bother that is taking the bloody piss. The sooner this shambles of an event fecks off to Portugal and leave us alone the better.

But why all the angst? So it's exploiting dreams and doing it for self interest. And then accusations of naïveté thrown at it? There's naïveté alright but there plenty to go around.
    And a business presents itself as some sort of holier than thou entity and this is news?
    I think we need to lose the outrage. There are serious and important criticisms in the blog quoted: but startups are just pups that want to grow up into sharks. The criticisms are important to the extent startups turn into job providers, not dividend providers.

Tell that to the organisers who blamed everyone under the sun for their own failings. Spoilt children that's exactly what they come off as. And the shark comment tell that to the fell Sharon nearly had in Tears in the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

My parents work alongside the CEO's and owners of multinationals and they reckon this won't have much effect on Ireland.

They seem to think being the founders of Web Summit that they are somewhat big shots that call the cards. Bye Bye Web Summit, we'll find something better.

Elemonator wrote: »
    My parents work alongside the CEO's and owners of multinationals and they reckon this won't have much effect on Ireland.

They seem to think being the founders of Web Summit that they are somewhat big shots that call the cards. Bye Bye Web Summit, we'll find something better.

It wont, It focused on Start up and taking money from them Gathering by the tweets.

Tell that to the organisers who blamed everyone under the sun for their own failings. Spoilt children that's exactly what they come off as. And the shark comment tell that to the fell Sharon nearly had in Tears in the interview.

Hardly makes them unique. Fairly thin skinned alright if a poor interviewer like Ms Ni Bheolain could rattle him. But if I believe everything I read he's crying all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That. Is. Glorious.
    Delicious.

Hardly makes them unique. Fairly thin skinned alright if a poor interviewer like Ms Ni Bheolain could rattle him. But if I believe everything I read he's crying all the way to the bank.

Kind of does, their complaints had nothing to do with anyone but the organisers.

If they were quiet about it then there would be very little said by the public but as they’ve increased their whoring to the media the public push back has matched it.

The problem is that it looks as though the boys egos are so big that fleecing people for as much money as possible just isn’t enough for them, they also expect and need the Irish public to thank them for doing it, say how much they’ll miss them, and how terrible the evil government has been to make them leave. They simply can’t seem to understand or take that public opinion isn't on their side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It wont, It focused on Start up and taking money from them Gathering by the tweets.

Taking money from foreigners? Just like The Gathering then.

To be honest, I don't understand the point of the public spat. If they had just said that Lisbon had made a more attractive offer, or even simply that the event needed a change of scenery or a larger venue, the general public (well those that cared about the event) may have been disappointed but would have wished them well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

gandalf wrote: »
    Someone should really forward these links onto the LLS researchers!

Somehow I imagine it will be a carefully constructed PR exercise on Friday. The questions will be screened beforehand and I don't think any potential banana skins like that will be allowed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It has nothing to do with their business model at all. The chaps at WS made the fatal mistake of believing their own press and thinking they were masters of the (tech) universe. The problem was that most of the fawning adulation came from the Irish press, which means not a lot on the grand scale of things. They got a better offer from Lisbon and decided to move. The problems began when they realised they might face a public backlash for selling out and moving on. This would do their wholesome image no good at all. So they concocted a cock n bull story about it being all the fault of the government, most likely in the hope that everybody would jump on the bandwagon and they would be seen as the good guy victims in the whole charade.

Unfortunately for them, the government didn't want anymore unnecessary bad press pre election, and decided to hit back. Since then the truth about the WS crapola and hypocrisy about price gouging, traffic management and money has come to light. People are now calling them out on their BS, but it has nothing to do with how they treat the actual startups at the event, even though it does border slightly on exploitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Because they are basically trying to get everyone else including the taxpayer to pay for everything so they can gouge more profit.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Did the govt even hit back though?

Only today when I heard a TD saying that if we gave them hush money that maybe they should give it back is the only bit of fighting talk from the govt!

Other than that I think the govt have been professionally quiet on the matter and it's actually the public who been calling them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mzungu wrote: »
    Somehow I imagine it will be a carefully constructed PR exercise on Friday. The questions will be screened beforehand and I don't think any potential banana skins like that will be allowed.

Hopefully mainstream media will report on the twitter discussion of it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

I'm reading on the Independent the the Web Summit team consider the food offerings as "good value for what you get...Food has been brought in from the four quarters of Ireland – from Donegal to Cork".

That's fairly laughable now to be fair to be effectively marking-up a burger "meal" to E20 and using the justification that the food has come from far away lands like Cork. Imagine the cost if there was banana's sold as part of the package. Imagine the cost of flying a banana in from Colombia! It's pretty pathetic that it seems that the entire team are brainwashed into the Paddy way of thinking. Anything can be justified if you have a brass enough neck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did the govt even hit back though?

Only today when I heard a TD saying that if we gave them hush money that maybe they should give it back is the only bit of fighting talk from the govt!

Other than that I think the govt have been professionally quiet on the matter and it's actually the public who been calling them out.

The government pretty much just let then dig their own grave. They didn't even give them a shovel, Paddy supplied that when he released the emails.

I'm reading on the Independent the the Web Summit team consider the food offerings as "good value for what you get...Food has been brought in from the four quarters of Ireland – from Donegal to Cork".

That's fairly laughable now to be fair to be effectively marking-up a burger "meal" to E20 and using the justification that the food has come from far away lands like Cork. Imagine the cost if there was banana's sold as part of the package. Imagine the cost of flying a banana in from Colombia! It's pretty pathetic that it seems that the entire team are brainwashed into the Paddy way of thinking. Anything can be justified if you have a brass enough neck.

It’s because they know very few parts of the media will call them out on it due to their connections. That’s why the cannon fodder co-founder couldn’t handle someone not letting him prattle off his pre-prepared lines and lap it up.

I don't hold much optimism for the late late show but I hope that Ryan has the balls to call paddy out on everything that's happened and doesn't settle for any wishy washy answers. At the very least he should let every viewer aware that the list of 'asks' was nothing to do with the government unless they engaged in corruption and then watch Paddy squirm.

And was it Paddy or the other fella who categorically stated that a hotel in Lisbon would be around €200 for the 3 days? That's been well and truly debunked by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

smash wrote: »
    I don't hold much optimism for the late late show but I hope that Ryan has the balls to call paddy out on everything that's happened and doesn't settle for any wishy washy answers. At the very least he should let every viewer aware that the list of 'asks' was nothing to do with the government unless they engaged in corruption and then watch Paddy squirm.

And was it Paddy or the other fella who categorically stated that a hotel in Lisbon would be around €200 for the 3 days? That's been well and truly debunked by now!

What he said was "a hotel in Lisbon is about €200 for 4 nights, you can't get a hotel in Dublin for one night at that price for the summit".

That's true if (a) you stay in a **** hotel midweek and (b) there's no events on like gigs or conferences or even university graduations.
    This idea that Lisbon is super cheap is weird. Yeah a beer or a coffee is cheaper and over all the average is lower than Dublin, but it's not a fecking third world country, it's not "cheap". A good 3 or 4 star in Lisbon is about 80-90 per night for a standard room unless there's a special or it's a last minute vacancy they want to fill for cheap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In all the time that he has been presenting the LLS, can you name one person that Tubridy was tough on?

What he said was "a hotel in Lisbon is about €200 for 4 nights, you can't get a hotel in Dublin for one night at that price for the summit".

And then there's this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS-6rfLWsAEvzrd.jpg:large
    kbannon wrote: »
    In all the time that he has been presenting the LLS, can you name one person that Tubridy was tough on?

No :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Great article here: http://www.newstalk.com/Inside-WebSummit-day-2
    I remember sitting in front of the main stage at Web Summit last year, with no Wifi and watching Paddy Cosgrave take to the stage and give a sardonic slow clap to the RDS for their Internet services (or lack thereof). In all my time as a journalist, I have never seen anything like it. He was clearly angry, which is understandable. I don't, for one second, question how hard the Web Summit team works. But I do think it was embarrassing to see a CEO take a public shot at their host location in that vain, with the world's media sitting there watching.

Web Summit has control of the WiFi services this year and yet there are still issues. Does any of the team want to take to the stage and point that out? Didn't think so.

Some of the points raised..

Cosgrave should have taken to the stage and slow hand clapped himself.

Advertisement