Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

smash wrote: »

It's the same EVERYWHERE.

Try book a hotel in Barcelona or Rome or Berlin or Glasgow when there's a big concert on, it's the exact same thing. Simple supply and demand!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

kbannon wrote: »
    In all the time that he has been presenting the LLS, can you name one person that Tubridy was tough on?

The only one I can recall off hand was Brian Cowen, but tough might be stretching it a tad. From what I recall he asked a lot of questions and interrupted the answers and took a sharp tone with him. At the time Fianna Fail were on the way out, and everybody was having a go. That is pretty much all I can recall, but then again I have not seen much of the Late Late since so maybe there might be one or two more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Judging by the comments to this article they have taken a few tips from some of the 419 scams with people "winning" the chance to give them 1000s, but only if they act right away.

http://tech.eu/features/6244/web-summit-scam-well-ask/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's the same EVERYWHERE.

Try book a hotel in Barcelona or Rome or Berlin or Glasgow when there's a big concert on, it's the exact same thing. Simple supply and demand!

I know. It just shows how they lied through their teeth though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I know. It just shows how they lied through their teeth though.

Facts be facts alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

In all the time that he has been presenting the LLS, can you name one person that Tubridy was tough on?

He eviscerated Enda shortly before the last government collapsed. Same to Eddie Hobbs and whats-her-name more recently.

Funnily enough, he was very softly-softly with Bertie and Biffo not much earlier. God only knows why that is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He eviscerated Enda shortly before the last government collapsed. Same to Eddie Hobbs and whats-her-name more recently.

Funnily enough, he was very softly-softly with Bertie and Biffo not much earlier. God only knows why that is :rolleyes:

Blood is thicker than water!

The organisers seem to believe their own hype...that they are visionaries...that they've reinvented the wheel. All they've really done is to capitalise on Ireland's PRE EXISTING tech reputation and flog tickets to an apparently over priced and fairly poorly organised conference piggy backing on the previous work of others.

By making silly claims about hotel prices, wifi, artisan food and traffic measures they have achieved the unlikely and actually made the government look like the sensible ones.

Add to this their petulant childish media tantrums and Mr Cosgrave's frankly embarrassing Steve Jobs impersonation and you've got something I won't be sorry to see leaving Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I posted yesterday that I was involved with one of the food vendors who was very angry and felt duped by the whole thing.
    Today, a good few of the vendors didn't return as they don't want the bad exposure for their brand.
    The poor girls at the clonakilty stand were reduced to tears several times by angry customers.
    The food ticket sales today were dismal.

Such a sour taste for many due to greed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

mzungu wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with their business model at all. The chaps at WS made the fatal mistake of believing their own press and thinking they were masters of the (tech) universe. The problem was that most of the fawning adulation came from the Irish press, which means not a lot on the grand scale of things. They got a better offer from Lisbon and decided to move. The problems began when they realised they might face a public backlash for selling out and moving on. This would do their wholesome image no good at all. So they concocted a cock n bull story about it being all the fault of the government, most likely in the hope that everybody would jump on the bandwagon and they would be seen as the good guy victims in the whole charade.

Unfortunately for them, the government didn't want anymore unnecessary bad press pre election, and decided to hit back. Since then the truth about the WS crapola and hypocrisy about price gouging, traffic management and money has come to light. People are now calling them out on their BS, but it has nothing to do with how they treat the actual startups at the event, even though it does border slightly on exploitation.

So you have no problem with their business model, just their pr
    model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just out of curiosity how much were you charged for the pitch?
    I posted yesterday that I was involved with one of the food vendors who was very angry and felt duped by the whole thing.
    Today, a good few of the vendors didn't return as they don't want the bad exposure for their brand.
    The poor girls at the clonakilty stand were reduced to tears several times by angry customers.
    The food ticket sales today were dismal.

Such a sour taste for many due to greed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Fleawuss wrote: »
    So you have no problem with their business model, just their pr
    model?
    Muahahaha, have your changed your identity (paddy, good to have you back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm sure we'd all look after our own family, but it must be nice for FF and particular the Andrews clan to have both Tubs and his cousin McSavage working in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Red Alert wrote: »
    Interesting blog entry from a startup - the summit seems to be singularly designed to siphon as much money as possible to Paddy by getting already paid up attendees to foot the bill for many of their activities.

https://www.yellowschedule.com/blog/web-summit/an-irish-start-ups-experience-of-the-web-summit/

I suggest Fleawuss might read this!! Might get the reason for the anti-web
    feelings of so many. :D

Not getting the whole anti web summit mood. It's a money making operation, yes. It brings together large numbers of people looking for money with investors willing to give it if they think they can get more money back, yes. The organizers have no respect for politicians, yes. It's hypocritical giving out about price increases by hotels when it's at the same thing with food, yes. There's a lot of egotism about, yes.

Welcome to capitalism.

Perhaps you should read post 1014. (This is post 1007)
    It might enlighten you!! ;)

jimmynokia wrote: »
    He will be on the late late on Friday that will probably be an organised question only thing cause tubbers has no testicles to dive in with the hard questtions

Ryan will probably treat Paddy as delicately as he did Ronan Keating! :(

gandalf wrote: »

Paddy has probably grabbed a lot of those rooms at the €68 tariff already and will flog them at the €380 price!! :D

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thought the lisbon boyos were gonna sort that "little problem" :P:P

Didn't Daire Hickey tell Sharon Ní Bheoláin that they could get four nights in
    Lisbon for €200?? :o

Hardly makes them unique. Fairly thin skinned alright if a poor interviewer like Ms Ni Bheolain could rattle him. But if I believe everything I read he's crying all the way to the bank.

Which makes it all the more annoying that he wanted the taxpayer to pay for
    his shuttle buses, outriders, etc. :mad:

The government pretty much just let then dig their own grave. They didn't even give them a shovel, Paddy supplied that when he released the emails.

This government has been dealing with Paddy and co, for the past few years.
    I guess they eventually got the measure of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

He also went full attack dog on Paul Murphy who remained cool and calm and came out of it looking good.

EDIT: Reading the comments her people expect Ryan to give him an easy ride. I really am fully expecting attack dog Tubbers. RTE do the government's bidding, I suspect he will be well prepared and will be out to get him.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It’s because they know very few parts of the media will call them out on it due to their connections. That’s why the cannon fodder co-founder couldn’t handle someone not letting him prattle off his pre-prepared lines and lap it up.

I saw Claire Byrne front of stage tonight as the NASDAQ bell was rung. :eek:
    Did she do any item on the summit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tinpib wrote: »
    He also went full attack dog on Paul Murphy who remained cool and calm and came out of it looking good.

EDIT: Reading the comments her people expect Ryan to give him an easy ride. I really am fully expecting attack dog Tubbers. RTE do the government's bidding, I suspect he will be well prepared and will be out to get him.

I don't think tubs does attack dog more passive aggressive bitchy Chihuahua.

I've seen him with the Renua people and Murphy and that's the way I'd describe him on both of those interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Which makes it all the more annoying that he wanted the taxpayer to pay for
    his shuttle buses, outriders, etc. :mad:

I have no interest in what goes on at this thing but cant help reading about it.

The two CEO's or founders or whatever come across as complete dickheads.

Who the feck do they think they are?? Arrogant pricks is what they look like to me.

30-35,000 people.. Oh wow.. 50,000 out of the Aviva on a Sunday night in the rain using existing services.. Why the need for Garda outriders??

From what I have been reading it is one massive scam. You only get "invited" if you can pay.

https://blog.websummit.net/web-summit-scam-setting-record-straight/
    This is the value you get if you are a startup at Web Summit and our sister events:

One exhibition stand for a day (larger stand for START)
    Attendance for three days and four nights of Web Summit, with hundreds of top name speakers across multiple stages
    Chance to apply for PITCH, our world-beating pitch competition. Startups cannot buy their way onto PITCH. We choose the 200 most promising companies for Web Summit, for example
    Chance to meet investors and mentors at our “Office Hours” scheduled meetings
    Access to hundreds of top media and investors during the event and at after-hours parties
    Inclusion in our startup database which is circulated to media, investors, partners and speakers
    Opportunity to take part in curated workshops with leading companies
    Opportunity to take part in curated roundtables with top name speakers and partners

Its like one of those old text subscription yokes.. Text 57222 to be in with a chance of winning a crap ringtone.

I think the old Bono joke should be updated..

Whats the difference between Paddy Cosgrave and God..

God does not think he is Paddy Cosgrave.

Someone summed up the whole thing posts back.. Its just a place for people that think they are big to meet and smell each others farts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A spectacular implosion from Paddy Cosgrave. He's actually done a most improbable thing and made this Government look like the good guys in this situation. What a toolbox. Don't think authorities in Portugal (and elsewhere) aren't looking at this sh*tshow and wondering what kind of numpty they're dealing with and thinking why they handed him north of a million quid for his hipster pulled pork app scamfest.

I think he has burned a lot more bridges than he counted on this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

A fancy way of doing this..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1104/739626-320-new-jobs/

Hats off to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise, Innovation announcing 320 new Technology jobs today. Fantastic timing :)

Some fantastic companies like Squarespace, Asana, Wave2Wave and Pond5 have been working quietly in the background with IDA Ireland over a long period of time and the department have delivered these high skilled jobs in high growth, high potential sectors.

I'm the first one to say that this present Government have made a complete balls of a lot of things from implementation of water charges to cuts in care to homelessness etc....but one thing I will give them credit for is delivering a huge amount of high skilled jobs (which also lead to many knock on lower skilled operations jobs) to this country over the last few years.

I'm looking forward to Paddy Mourinho on the Late Late this weekend telling us about a (drunk) Angel who invested in an Irish start-up while on one of his great Bar Crawls..cringe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm the first one to say that this present Government have made a complete balls of a lot of things from implementation of water charges to cuts in care to homelessness etc....but one thing I will give them credit for is delivering a huge amount of high skilled jobs

Delivering a huge amount of high skilled jobs?

I don't know about that. Maybe it should be:

Announcing a huge amount of high skilled jobs

Colour me skeptic but I'd like to see the actual figures from these companies on how many of each position they hire. I worked for a multinational in Ireland who announced over 100 jobs...pretty much the exact same areas of work. The ultimate number of jobs was lower and the types of roles were very different in the end...They did hire SOME high skilled workers but not as many as you may be lead to believe...

Also, all they have to do is give them a tax break...that's how they create the jobs...in the end, it's a bit of a vicious cycle...the average working private sector middle incomer has a heavy cross to carry in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Bambi wrote: »
    Or just switch Sharon Ní Bheoláin for Ryan Tubridy at the last minute:

"Stand me up on live TV would ye? Head on ye like a bursted matress, ye bleedin sap ye"

He'd want to have his head hanging off to explain that. Talk about a hospital pass to Hickey.

In the middle of a PR storm RTE come out to broadcast the 9 O'Clock news live from your event, giving you a chance to have the last word and you send your buddy in at the last minute. Absolute idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I just can't fathom how someone could cultivate so much negative press from themselves. All they had to do was say that Lisbon offered a better deal for them. End of. Move on. They're a private for-profit company, they are always going to act in selfish interests. That's what private companies do. But instead, and out of nowhere, they implode and descend into a series of highly public spats, resulting in yer man making an idiot out of himself on the news yesterday.

I know, it's difficult to fathom. I think people are right, they were so hubristic they thought everyone would get behind them against an easy target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

hardCopy wrote: »
    He'd want to have his head hanging off to explain that. Talk about a hospital pass to Hickey.

In the middle of a PR storm RTE come out to broadcast the 9 O'Clock news live from your event, giving you a chance to have the last word and you send your buddy in at the last minute. Absolute idiocy.

Its obivous that the only thing paddy cares for more than profits is his own personal public image which is why hickey got made walk the plank

I'm still seeing posts on Facebook about how great the Web Summit is and how the government fcuked up and should do everything they can to bring it back. Some people still don't understand that it's not the governments fault that Web Summit are leaving Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I'm still seeing posts on Facebook about how great the Web Summit is and how the government fcuked up and should do everything they can to bring it back. Some people still don't understand that it's not the governments fault that Web Summit are leaving Ireland.
    ....but out of interest who do people really believe is at fault for this?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

In a way we are all to blame.

There are people who firmly believe that the government did nothing to help the Web Summit, and who think that even traffic management solutions weren't being provided which is completely false. They have an image of the Web Summit as being the biggest tech event on the planet where industry visionaries congregate to make the world a better place and promote innovation and growth in Ireland. That the event is worth a fortune to the economy and is invaluable to the industry, and that the Irish government pushed them away by not offering any support.

Most of the speakers are not 'prestigious' and a hell of a lot of them aren't even part of the tech world so it's not a case of this event being full of industry giants. I don't know how many sports people I've heard of speaking at this stage...

Who's at fault here? Paddy is! He did not plan, organise or execute the event correctly. Not one of his so called issues were to do with the government and every issue he had was within his control but he would not pay to fix them. The conference is leaving because they got a better offer and if that was just said at the start then nobody would actually care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Who's at fault here? Paddy is! He did not plan, organise or execute the event correctly. Not one of his so called issues were to do with the government and every issue he had was within his control but he would not pay to fix them. The conference is leaving because they got a better offer and if that was just said at the start then nobody would actually care.

Fully agreed. I am just curious to see if someone in Portugal plans this for him or will it again be just another failure over there. Number of exhibitors are certainly down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Paddy will be on The Late Late Show this Friday.

Fully agreed. I am just curious to see if someone in Portugal plans this for him or will it again be just another failure over there. Number of exhibitors are certainly down.

He's indirectly saying there'll be:

Better wifi, addition and free public transport, cheaper hotels, police escorts for VIPs, road closures for direct traffic flow to his event.

Because that's what he wanted here.... but he didn't ask the right people and at the end of the day he wouldn't pay for it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kidneyfan wrote: »

But in another, more accurate way - we're not. The organisers are.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I wonder if the researchers have read this thread.

• Advertisement

The conference is leaving because they got a better offer and if that was just said at the start then nobody would actually care.
    This is the key point.
    Web Summit made a commercial decision to leave Ireland. Paddy saw the chance of a larger wad of sweaty money if he went elsewhere. Fair enough. Problem is that this narrative didn't sit well with Paddy and so he launched a deflect and blame campaign against the government.

"Oooh we wanted to stay man but ye know the government didn't control hotel prices and..errrr...the traffic was brutal and ye know the WiFi was dodgy even when we organised it ourselves but yeah"

Pathetic stuff and unsurprisingly it has backfired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wonder if the researchers have read this thread.

God I hope they find this https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS-6rfLWsAEvzrd.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No we're not. Not in any way. Care to expand?

We should get Paddy strapped into a chair and let Vinny B at him for an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

No we're not. Not in any way. Care to expand?
    Well what have you done for the web summit? I've done nothing at all.

Well what have you done for the web summit? I've done nothing at all.
    The guilt is eating me up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

zoobizoo wrote: »

The question is will Tubridy use it as a stick to beat the government with and go easy on him or will he take Cosgrave apart.

I'm in favour of a 'blood substitution' for the LLS. For the Cosgrave interview, get Tubridy off and put Sharon ni Bheautifulann or Sean O'Rourke on, to totally screw him over.

Bring a burger as evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Red Kev wrote: »
    Bring a burger as evidence.
    Should certainly have some of the food vendors or their representative on, as well as reps from any other aspect of it to confirm/contest claims made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Lisbon's ad for the Websummit - looks like they're pulling out all the stops!

https://www.facebook.com/Visitportugal/videos/10153778129346661/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah I want to see him ****ed out of it now. I was entirely sympathetic to the Web Summit's stated position when it was initially announced that they were leaving the country, and happy to blame the Government. Now I do think that this government deserves a huge amount of criticism for its long term approach (or lack thereof) to infrastructure, but with regards to the specifics of this event Cosgrove has been shown up as a whiny opportunist. The more I read about the event the more it becomes clear that it is base scumbag gouging and the IDA will continue to do the real work at attracting investment into this country irrespective of what governments or summits are in. Good riddance, but let's give him a proper kicking before he ****s off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement