Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I heard on the Radio yesterday someone from the web summit staff saying that selling food at 20 euro they were making a loss of 10 euro. How does that work?

The people with food tokens sure made a loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

this is a classic thread , some great astute posts and the comebacks from the websummit organisers are hilarious... beep beep beep just keep digging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

They had already paid a grand to attend. So not really free. If you gave him a grand to sit in his kitchen then he might not mind giving you dinner.
    and dont forget you got another grand off him to kip in your box room.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 slangamerican

Kind of hoping Tubs is playing mind games with him. Lull him in to a false sense of security and then attack tomorrow. It won't happen though, will it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

A friend of mine was approached the other week about the Surf Summit. https://websummit.net/surf-summit

She was at a beach having come out of the water after a surf and was approached by someone who was organising the Surf Summit.

He wanted her to lend her boards / wetsuits (value €400 / €500) and to ask her friends also to lend their equipment to attendees of the Surf Summit.

"What's in it for me?" she asked

"you get to meet people" came the reply. ....... some business model.

Not only would surfers not be willing to lend out expensive equipment to people they do not know, it would also take business away from local surf schools and surf shops. If someone can afford to pay for a Web Summit ticket, they can afford to pay €30 for a board and suit hire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Kind of hoping Tubs is playing mind games with him. Lull him in to a false sense of security and then attack tomorrow. It won't happen though, will it?

All I want is a fair and balanced interview in which Paddy tells his side of the story and Tubbs in return asks him the hard questions and makes sure he gets proper answers . I don't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

mzungu wrote: »
    All I want is a fair and balanced interview in which Paddy tells his side of the story and Tubbs in return asks him the hard questions and makes sure he gets proper answers . I don't see it happening though.

Exactly, pretty sure tubs is gonna ignore everything that has come out about the hotel prices in lisbon and the deals that web summit were refusing here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

“In fact, when costs of the Food Summit is taken into consideration, including venue rental, insurance, marquee build, electrics, staffing, security and site services, Web Summit makes a loss of approximately €10 per meal sold.”

Hang on, aren't ticket prices for this thing running into the thousands? So what indirect costs are the tickets covering?

Does this guy really know nothing about accounting, or is he just an arrogant twat who thinks the rest of us are stupid and can't see how ridiculous the quote above really is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly, pretty sure tubs is gonna ignore everything that has come out about the hotel prices in lisbon and the deals that web summit were refusing here

And the fact that wifi was still crap this year despite it being in Paddy's control. And the lack of traffic issues, but the extreme confusion with the Web Summit organised coaches.

Hang on, aren't ticket prices for this thing running into the thousands? So what indirect costs are the tickets covering?

Shhhh.... it's the governments fault, remember!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Paddy now changing flank - announced on stage that he will be marching on the Taoiseach's office this evening to protest school's catholic admissions policies.

I'm not seeing the tech angle.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Paddy now changing flank - announced on stage that he will be marching on the Taoiseach's office this evening to protest school's catholic admissions policies.

Hope he gets arrested for trespassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're taking the piss, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

seamus wrote: »

I thought so, but then I found this
    https://twitter.com/walk4eva/status/662173186797281280

retweeted by Paddy this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Nope. He's telling the truth. He went off on a tangent about how Ireland is such a multicultural place now, using Web Summit as an example to demonstrate how many different countries and cultures are drawn to Ireland. In the same breath he blasted the government for its Catholic favouritism laws for school admissions.

Just remember, this is the guy who said on record that all the government funding that he's received to date was just a cover up for the homeless problem in Ireland... :confused:

Before he weekend is over he'll probably be out in Carrickmines to blame local residents on wifi issues because they wouldn't let travelers move in beside them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

smash wrote: »
    I don't like the spin he's putting on it that people who have objections are just begrudgers. It's not the case.

It's a typical lazy argument. You see it all the time on AH: "OMG, your jus jellus begrudgers".

Tubs isn't the sharp, analytical guy he'd like to think he is.

Right so, I duly expect Jim Corr to take the stage at some point too. Seems like he'd fit right in.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It's a typical lazy argument. You see it all the time on AH: "OMG, your jus jellus begrudgers".

He probably thinks hes being edgy by supporting paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Tarzana2 wrote: »

He;ll put on his serious face (scrunched up forehead) and ask the questions in a serious way.

Then Paddy will give his answer.

The Ryan will ask another question... but won't drill down to details.

In the end, he'll turn it light hearted...

Nope. He's telling the truth. He went off on a tangent about how Ireland is such a multicultural place now, using Web Summit as an example to demonstrate how many different countries and cultures are drawn to Ireland. In the same breath he blasted the government for its Catholic favouritism laws for school admissions.

Just..... wow.

Like i completely agree with him but hes basically standing on stage and shouting "look over there"

Right so, I duly expect Jim Corr to take the stage at some point too. Seems like he'd fit right in.

Right after the guy who started #kony2012

He's not wrong in fairness to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

kidneyfan wrote: »
    In a way we are all to blame.

Absolute codswallop. Paddy only went to Lisbon because the Government realised Paddy wanted taxpayers money to subsidise his profits. Enda did the right thing here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

If that's true then it seems he's close to a break down. His entire event has been scrutinised at this stage and there will be massive repercussions as the negative feedback continues to pour in.

The government is really going after him. It's his own fault but I think we're walking into 'that's enough' territory.

• Advertisement

WarZ wrote: »
    The government is really going after him. It's his own fault but I think we're walking into 'that's enough' territory.
    What are the government doing? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If that's true then it seems he's close to a break down. His entire event has been scrutinised at this stage and there will be massive repercussions as the negative feedback continues to pour in.

The govt aren't doing anything, he's doing it all himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I agree, but he really is spitting in the country's face by using the centre stage as a platform to blast the government's (admittedly) archaic admission laws. He's running out of bridges to burn at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Lots of people would agree with him, but I fail to see much relevance to a mostly international audience at a tech conference.

It was ... strange.

What are the government doing? :confused:

Ah come on, you don't think the govt had a word with Sharon interviewing for state TV for example?

The government has been all over the media drumming up negativity.

• Advertisement

Lots of people would agree with him, but I fail to see much relevance to a mostly international audience at a tech conference.

It was ... strange.

I would say his PR team advised him on that. He can spend a while talking about his activist work tomorrow on the LLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Yeah, he's kinda losing it. :-/

Ah come on, you don't think the govt had a word with Sharon interviewing for state TV for example?
    I would say, in a word, absolutely not.

Oh that's two words.

But yeah, no chance.

Where? Asking for the 'hush' money back was the only media coverage involving politicians no?

Erm... No!

They government have only been replying to anything he has said, paddy has been the one pumping out spin and they are simply responding to it

If I was a member of the Portuguese government right now I'd be very very worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Just..... wow.

Like i completely agree with him but hes basically standing on stage and shouting "look over there"

In fairness banners for this particular cause were up in the hall for the duration of WS, and I think it was mentioned earlier as well as a cause they will support. So he might be using it now for some good auld government bashing, but it's not a last minute introduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

paddy has been the one pumping out doing and they are simply responding to it
    You mean "paddy has been the one spamming out doing......"

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    You mean "paddy has been the one spamming out doing......"

Lol stupid phone keyboard, fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Hello Sharon? Yeah, it's Enda here, how's the kids? Ah good, ahh that's great to hear. C'mere to me now Sharon, this Paddy Cosgrave lad, he's been a right pain in my arse the last week or so, can you do me a favour and cut him to shreds on the news? Thanks chicken, you're a doll!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tivoli1300

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The govt aren't doing anything, he's doing it all himself!

thats what makes it so compelling -what possessed him to start blaming the govt for not tackling hotel prices that HE was instrumental in raising??? How can anyone be so lacking in basic self/hypocracy awareness and failing that, the fear/mortification of getting found out?

It's far more likely she did what she did after paddy chickened out 5 mins before the interview

It's far more likely she did what she did after paddy chickened out 5 mins before the interview

I don't think i've have ever seen Shaz that aggro in an interview before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

mzungu wrote: »
    I don't think i've have ever seen Shaz that aggro in an interview before!

I don't watch a lot of her but if that was aggro she must be comatose normally...
    He had a couple of phrases on repeat all the time and she just kept asking questions through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tinfoil hat much? If anything it’s been the Web Summit children that have used their contacts in the online media to try attempt to quell any naysayers.

Sharon wasn’t even that bad to him. If he gave direct answers to the questions posed rather than try to give vague stock answers, many of which have been shown to be lies, then she’d have had nothing to work with. He acted like the spoilt child he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Double or nothing.

Honestly, I love this thread. It's like looking at a suicide bomber, in an orgy, on a minibus, in a car crash about to happen in slow motion.

Double or nothing.

Honestly, I love this thread. It's like looking at a suicide bomber, in an orgy, on a minibus, in a car crash about to happen in slow motion.

If carlsberg did thread summaries...

"Hello Sharon? Yeah, it's Enda here, how's the kids? Ah good, ahh that's great to hear. C'mere to me now Sharon, this Paddy Cosgrave lad, he's been a right pain in my arse the last week or so, can you do me a favour and cut him to shreds on the news? Thanks chicken, you're a doll!"

Her wages are paid by RTE which is state TV. I find it funny how many here have no problem having pops at Tubridy for being the governments mouth piece but when it comes to Sharon then she's definitely not doing the same?

She was particularly aggressive in her interview in a way uncharacteristic for her and at a time when the government was shifting a lot of blame. It was less of an interview and more of attempt to portray WS in the worst light possible. I've no love lost for WS but some criticisms have been OTT and it's amazing how much influence the government can discreetly exert over the people. A few days ago the consensus was the government had made a massive mistake, now it's that Coagrave is a swindler. The truth is probably somewhere in between

Her wages are paid by RTE which is state TV. I find it funny how many here have no problem having pops at Tubridy for being the governments mouth piece but when it comes to Sharon then she's definitely not doing the same?

She was particularly aggressive in her interview in a way uncharacteristic for her and at a time when the government was shifting a lot of blame. It was less of an interview and more of attempt to portray WS in the worst light possible. I've no love lost for WS but some criticisms have been OTT and it's amazing how much influence the government can discreetly exert over the people. A few days ago the consensus was the government had made a massive mistake, now it's that Coagrave is a swindler. The truth is probably somewhere in between

That was the consensus among people who didn't have a clue, now the evidence has been revealed that cosgrave was talking our of his arse those people have come around. The vast majority on here though have been saying the exact same things from the start of this fiasco.

Also your obsession with blaming the government for negative stories is patently wrong paddy started all of this in a desperate attempt to save his image and has been responsible for each and every bit of bad press he's got

• Advertisement

That was the consensus among people who didn't have a clue, now the evidence has been revealed that cosgrave was talking our of his arse those people have come around. The vast majority on here though have been saying the exact same things from the start of this fiasco.

Also your obsession with blaming the government for negative stories is patently wrong paddy started all of this in a desperate attempt to save his image and has been responsible for each and every bit of bad press he's got

Because he had the audacity to move from Dublin! He was vilified the moment he announced the move.

Advertisement