Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

kbannon wrote: »
    Well, Irish begrudgery wins again.

Thats absolutely not what happened.

Irish people support endeavour and the fruits of hard work, if we didn't, we wouldnt have a country positioned where it is in the world market.

Unlike other races, we just dont tolerate d1ckheads. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This cosgrove guy got too big for his boots.

He didn't invent facebook or something like Dropbox, he did an exhibition, an EXHIBITION.

Ah but it’s the exhibition that made Ireland a tech hub :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

VinLieger wrote: »
    By all accounts the real business is done over a couple of pints well away from the night summits, lisbon is gonna have a very different culture that will find it hard to replicate that

Don't get this. Lisbon is not a dry city and those who want to drink will go out and drink.

What real business gets done anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get this. Lisbon is not a dry city and those who want to drink will go out and drink.

What real business gets done anyway?

By many accounts, very little business is done. All hype and no substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

kbannon wrote: »
    Well, Irish begrudgery wins again.
    We had someone who was doing something that would benefit the people of Ireland and we do our best to ridicule him to the point that he declines the opportunity to have it discussed and fleshed out on national TV as if he had some ulterior motive.

Paddy is a hero for highlighting the issue of Catholic schools!

You obviously don't know what begrudgery is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You obviously don't know what begrudgery is.
    Well poor Paddy Cosgrave learned this week!
    Ireland the old sow that eats her own farrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

kidneyfan wrote: »

He brought everything on himself with the web of lies he spun and then collapsed around him, if he had stayed quiet and done nothing with the emails none of this would have happened, but he couldnt keep his ego in check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You dont understand whats gone on this week, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

After all this time you still actually believe poor Paddy has been wronged? He's the clown who brought this upon himself remember. And when it's backfired, the once media whore is pulling out of appearances and interviews left, right and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think the Saturdays say it best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I wonder what RTE staffer they have on standby to fill the 15 minute slot tomorrow night. The late late may have been worth watching back on RTE player for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

seamus wrote: »
    Well he's made at least one good PR move by turning down the invitation to appear on the LLS. Clearly somebody isn't afraid to give Paddy some home truths and advised him that an appearance on the LLS would be a disaster for him.

I dunno, sounds like it was set up to be an armchair ride from Tubs:
    "They're living in a world where ambition, creativity and cajones are considered admirable and celebrated," Mr Tubridy said of Mr Cosgrave and the Web Summit organisers.

"They've come to Ireland - we're a nation of wing-clippers. Honestly if we see wings spanning out too much, we'll clip them, and I think they're suffering from that. I think the media need to back off a little bit. I also think the Web Summit guys might need to rein their necks in a little. And we could have peace and love and get this back here where it belongs."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Eoin wrote: »
    I dunno, sounds like it was set up to be an armchair ride from Tubs:

Imagine the Twitter response though. An easy interview would compound that.

When Roy Hattersley pulled out of Have I Got News For You, they replaced him with a tub of lard. The Late Late should replace Cosgrave with a massive heap of bull shit.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Its shite now anyway and we dont need it
    and the guys that run it made a show of themselves
    and the taxpayers money joe
    and I just bit my stupid nose off because I wanted to spite my face

IIIIRRRREEELLLAAAAANNNNND! IIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRREEEEEELLLLLLLLLANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!
    SHOULDER TO SHOULDER!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Someone's drunk

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

RayM wrote: »

When Roy Hattersley pulled out of Have I Got News For You, they replaced him with a tub of lard. The Late Late should replace Cosgrave with a massive heap of bull shit.

^
    Post of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

RayM wrote: »

RTE should be able to supply that easily from its vast reserves of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

An infallible confidence in himself, a vast superiority complex, is what made Cosgrave. He's basically a marketing man with no special talent. There's always been a large portion of bull**** mixed in with that confidence, but now the bull**** has taken over entirely and made him look like a prize idiot.

Six weeks since Cosgrave announced the Web Summit was moving to Lisbon, he still hasn't managed to put any flesh on the bones of what his problem with the Government was.

Jose Mourinho should console himself with the fact that no matter how big a tool you're making of yourself, there's always somebody, somewhere making a bigger tool of themselves.

elastico wrote: »
    I wonder what RTE staffer they have on standby to fill the 15 minute slot tomorrow night. The late late may have been worth watching back on RTE player for once.

Tommy Tiernans wife maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

BMMachine wrote: »

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER!

Is that the Web Summit or the Late Late Show you're talking about???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER!

Such a pity Paddy's not paying the volunteers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Pulls out of the late late. Nothing but coward and bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Its amazing how this thread has turned and everyone can see the bull****ter. He not a tech savy person who creates things but is basically a promoter. Give him nerdy night in coppers on a Tuesday to promote, he'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

An infallible confidence in himself, a vast superiority complex, is what made Cosgrave. He's basically a marketing man with no special talent. There's always been a large portion of bull**** mixed in with that confidence, but now the bull**** has taken over entirely and made him look like a prize idiot.

Six weeks since Cosgrave announced the Web Summit was moving to Lisbon, he still hasn't managed to put any flesh on the bones of what his problem with the Government was.

Jose Mourinho should console himself with the fact that no matter how big a tool you're making of yourself, there's always somebody, somewhere making a bigger tool of themselves.

An economics and politics graduate, no actual qualifications in IT (at least to my knowledge) - but his skills would aid in manipulation/bulls******* and ripping off people as he has demonstratively shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    An economics and politics graduate, no actual qualifications in IT (at least to my knowledge) - but his skills would aid in manipulation/bulls******* and ripping off people as he has demonstratively shown.
    It's a Trinners BESS thing. Another prize tool and bull**** artist, John McGuirk, was a contemporary of his there.

Such a pity Paddy's not paying the volunteers

why do I have to be associated with web summit in your guys view?
    is it not entirely possible that I just think you are small minded, full of crap and enjoy the smell of each others farts?
    but here, you have a nose to bite off - get on it and stop mucking around with me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

He brought everything on himself with the web of lies he spun and then collapsed around him, if he had stayed quiet and done nothing with the emails none of this would have happened, but he couldnt keep his ego in check

I see what ya did there :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

wowy wrote: »

So, all of Tubridy's kowtowing to Cosgrave has
    come to nothing, now that Paddy had chickened
    out of the LLS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Being threatened by Cosgrave is most likely similar to being 'bought out' by Bill Gates ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rfr59RiE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

is it not entirely possible that I just think you are small minded, full of crap and enjoy the smell of each others farts?
    but here, you have a nose to bite off - get on it and stop mucking around with me

Should you not be out lobbying at Leinster house against Catholic schools or something?

• Advertisement

Just..... wow.

Like i completely agree with him but hes basically standing on stage and shouting "look over there"

He's actually beginning to sound deranged!

Double or nothing.

Honestly, I love this thread. It's like looking at a suicide bomber, in an orgy, on a minibus, in a car crash about to happen in slow motion.

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Are you associated with the Web Summit?

mhge wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy must be delighted to be shown the finger after all the fawning over creative Paddy and his cojones he did earlier today!

Wasn't that really sickening?! Or, maybe, he was setting up PC for a fall, as someone already suggested. Shucks, we'll never know now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Sure in 2017 there will be a thread here in AH about "what ever happened to Paddy Cosgrave".

The man is a A1 wanker. I have no interest in computers but when this bellend is all over the news you cant help but read.

He comes across as nothing but a conman.

What he runs is not unlike the timeshare things you get bombarded with on holidays.

Sure you might just get something out it but in reality you will be €1000's down because you got sucked in by some twats sales patter.

In the UK it maybe be borderline fraud. The sort of thing you see on Watchdog on the BBC or Dispatches on Ch4..

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Glenstal and Trinity must be very proud of him! Not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tivoli1300

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Glenstal and Trinity must be very proud of him! Not!!

Following in the footsteps of Breffni o 'Brien - also a BESS graduate

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Are you associated with the Web Summit?

not in any way shape or form.
    but the lads having the ha ha's and being all "take it easy paddy a hurr hurr hurr" oh After Hours and its top top humour

edit - and of course, there will be an obligatory "take it easy paddy" reply cos you guys are just mad banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

not in any way shape or form.
    but the lads having the ha ha's and being all "take it easy paddy a hurr hurr hurr" oh After Hours and its top top humour

edit - and of course, there will be an obligatory "take it easy paddy" reply cos you guys are just mad banter

What? Do you want to type that again so us that did not attend the rip off, summit or other can understand the bollox you just posted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

By all accounts the real business is done over a couple of pints well away from the night summits, lisbon is gonna have a very different culture that will find it hard to replicate that
    This is the case at all conferences; some companies don't even bother getting tickets to these things and just turn up to the known watering holes in the evening or set up dinner 'dates' instead.

Lisbon, like most cities will have plenty of options. Whether the locals have a pub culture or not is irrelevant.

dubscottie wrote: »
    What? Do you want to type that again so us that did not attend the rip off, summit or other can understand the bollox you just posted?

ill explain.
    a number of people on this thread called me Paddy, after the guy that runs the summit. They were of course making fun implying that because Im actually defending the thing, I must be Paddy himself... or connected to him and his company in some way. This is not the case so I decided to take the piss out of their lowbrow and lazy humour by form of replication and by twisting around language with things such as "ha has" instead of "lols" and a few "hurr hurr hurr"s to imply the noise I would insinuate they make in real life after posting. Of course they dont make that noise, but Im saying they might as well because the only people that would laugh are themselves and like-minded individuals.

Then I added in an edit because I thought about it and thought "due to how unoriginal and unfunny they are and the forum this is in, one person will probably go 'take it easy paddy' as if they have seen an amazing opportunity for humour" (Im using sarcasm here btw). And then I added in the "mad banter" bit because that is kind of a colloquialism nowadays for not actually being funny.
    I hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

my friend wrote: »
    The problem for viewers of the LLS is that Tubs will feel that he can relate to Paddy Cosgrave , 'persecuted talent' 'victims of begrudgery' and so on

To those that claim RTE is a puppet for the government you are simply showing your ignorance of Irish politics, RTE is loaded with stickies and FF heads, not sure they'd do the governments bidding

The sticky thing in RTE was 30 years ago!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The sticky thing in RTE was 30 years ago!!!

They're still in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ill explain.
    a number of people on this thread called me Paddy, after the guy that runs the summit. They were of course making fun implying that because Im actually defending the thing, I must be Paddy himself... or connected to him and his company in some way. This is not the case so I decided to take the piss out of their lowbrow and lazy humour by form of replication and by twisting around language with things such as "ha has" instead of "lols" and a few "hurr hurr hurr"s to imply the noise I would insinuate they make in real life after posting. Of course they dont make that noise, but Im saying they might as well because the only people that would laugh are themselves and like-minded individuals.

Then I added in an edit because I thought about it and thought "due to how unoriginal and unfunny they are and the forum this is in, one person will probably go 'take it easy paddy' as if they have seen an amazing opportunity for humour" (Im using sarcasm here btw). And then I added in the "mad banter" bit because that is kind of a colloquialism nowadays for not actually being funny.
    I hope this helps

No need to explain. Basically you attempted a really bad pisstake.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats absolutely not what happened.

Irish people support endeavour and the fruits of hard work, if we didn't, we wouldnt have a country positioned where it is in the world market.

Unlike other races
    , we just dont tolerate d1ckheads. Ever.

What other races, are we not all part of the human race?

Plus, Ireland were in 24th position in the most recent Global competitiveness report, and only 11th in the EU. Hardly an amazing position.

• Advertisement

Paddy milks taxpayer
    Paddy quits Dublin
    Paddy quits Sharon
    Tubs blows Paddy
    Paddy quits Tubs

my friend wrote: »
    Paddy milks taxpayer
    Paddy quits Dublin
    Paddy quits Sharon
    Tubs blows Paddy
    Paddy quits Tubs
    Weckler cries in corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's her done lads, take her away!

*bangs roof*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

What other races, are we not all part of the human race?

Plus, Ireland were in 24th position in the most recent Global competitiveness report, and only 11th in the EU. Hardly an amazing position.

Considering we are small island with a tiny population and there are 200 odd countries in the world 28 of which are in the EU I would say 24th and 11th respectively Is damn good

• Advertisement
Advertisement