Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Considering we are small island with a tiny population and there are 200 odd countries in the world 28 of which are in the EU I would say 24th and 11th respectively Is damn good
    Well I'd imagine that Luxembourg, which has about a tenth of our population and ranks 20th and 8th respectively must be ecstatic.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

No need to explain. Basically you attempted a really bad pisstake.

in yours eyes. in mine its pretty much on the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well I'd imagine that Luxembourg, which has about a tenth of our population and ranks 20th and 8th respectively must be ecstatic.
    It must be said, The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has certain advantages which contribute to its prosperity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

BMMachine wrote: »
    in yours eyes. in mine its pretty much on the money

Have you watched their Lisbon promo video?

The video is all about choices and how Web Summit chose to move to Lisbon because it's "time to reject stagnation". I guess what the promo is doing is acknowledging that it was Web Summit's choice(they weren't forced), while simultaneously kicking Ireland in the teeth by calling us stagnated, which is not true!

I sort of get the feeling that Paddy may have a grudge against a lot of our TDs because of the failings of his previous micandidate business which was proven to basically be a rip off/scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Considering we are small island with a tiny population and there are 200 odd countries in the world 28 of which are in the EU I would say 24th and 11th respectively Is damn good

How many of the 200 odd are in the 3rd / developing world?
    28th considering various incentives (tax and otherwise) isn't anything to write home about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

smash wrote: »

I sort of get the feeling that Paddy may have a grudge

the apt poster boy from the nation of begrugers...

Good Lad Paddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I like Verified by Visa. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

17th out of 36 countries in the OECD happiness index, so I guess it must be full of unrealistic people too :D:D:D:D

Mr.S wrote: »
    No doubt someone is going to run a new large tech / digital / media conference in Dublin now that Web Summit is gone, hopefully 1 takes off!

I'm hoping Tech Crunch will make an appearance http://techcrunch.com/event-type/disrupt/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

How many of the 200 odd are in the 3rd / developing world?
    28th considering various incentives (tax and otherwise) isn't anything to write home about.

It is when you consider we have a total population that is just 0.063% of the total world population

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I'm hoping Tech Crunch will make an appearance http://techcrunch.com/event-type/disrupt/

Won't anyone attend my 'IOT world Conference' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It must be said, The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has certain advantages which contribute to its prosperity
    Not natural resources - basically those advantages have been developed internally. My point was, however, that population size is not really a determinant in competitiveness.

Off topic, I know, but Ireland does leave a lot to be desired economically. One area where it is certainly not competitive is salary levels for skilled or specialized labour. Our 'progressive' tax system basically means you're better off earning anywhere else once you get to a pretty modest salary level and why many people simply leave once their careers reach that certain level.

But if all you want is get people off the register and into low-paid, tech support battery farms, then it's no problem.

my friend wrote: »

It doesn't sound 'punchy' enough... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Have you watched their Lisbon promo video?

The video is all about choices and how Web Summit chose to move to Lisbon because it's "time to reject stagnation". I guess what the promo is doing is acknowledging that it was Web Summit's choice(they weren't forced), while simultaneously kicking Ireland in the teeth by calling us stagnated, which is not true!

I sort of get the feeling that Paddy may have a grudge against a lot of our TDs because of the failings of his previous micandidate business which was proven to basically be a rip off/scam.

That micandidate link is a real eye opener. Read the comments where it says they claimed to have "patented" email software to get 98% delivery rate. Its an offence to misuse the term patent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ITs not like we are over charging at events of this nature or anything like that lol . Some one call Garth Brooks tell him he can have the spot next year lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So how did Paddy's march on the Dail go last night? Was it a bloodless coup or did he half to crack some heads?

So how did Paddy's march on the Dail go last night? Was it a bloodless coup or did he half to crack some heads?

I have an image in my head that it went something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Good Irish Times article on it, starting with
    Au revoir, Web Summit - it’s time for you to go
    Organisers need to take it elsewhere to learn maybe some of their ‘problems’ are self-generated
    Web Summit, from its first year to now, ranks as one of the most colossally disorganised events I’ve ever been to. And organisers seem to alienate nearly everyone they work with, every year (many of them refuse to be involved again).

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/au-revoir-web-summit-it-s-time-for-you-to-go-1.2418906

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

dbit wrote: »
    ITs not like we are over charging at events of this nature or anything like that lol . Some one call Garth Brooks tell him he can have the spot next year lol.

Not as much as Lisbon at least.
    Have you seen how much some of their hotels prices have gone up by for the summit next year?
    It's nearly 400% in some cases!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the Lisbon Lyin' bastards so to speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

my friend wrote: »

I'll send my toaster to go and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    the apt poster boy from the nation of begrugers...

Good Lad Paddy.

I'm not Irish, Guy was a complete chancer. Basically an over rated life coach of the IT conference world. Delusions of being Steve Jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I'm not Irish, Guy was a complete chancer. Basically an over rated life coach of the IT conference world. Delusions of being Steve Jobs.

Interesting, considering your questionable views on foreigners and immigrants.

If he was a chancer so what? He's made more money that 99% of this forum will ever see

WarZ wrote: »
    If he was a chance so what? He's made more money that 99% of this forum will ever see

Nobody cares how much money he's made. This is not about his monetary value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If he was a chance so what? He's made more money that 99% of this forum will ever see

Yes by making money in a very dubious fashion off companies that are just starting off. What a hero! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Yes by making money in a very dubious fashion off companies that are just starting off. What a hero! :rolleyes:

Meet reality for most successful entrepreneurs. Survival of the fittest

Nobody cares how much money he's made. This is not about his monetary value.

I'm saying he's not simply a chancer who fluked this. Considering the amount of money he's made from it and the amount of start ups willing to pay thousands to attend it would appear he is very good at what he does. If he wasn't it wouldn't have taken off as it has. Credit where it's due

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He cant make money the way hes been doing and not have his name dragged through the mud, he wants to have his cake and eat it too and hes crying now that he cant

I'm saying he's not simply a chancer who fluked this. Considering the amount of money he's made from it and the amount of start ups willing to pay thousands to attend it would appear he is very good at what he does. If he wasn't it wouldn't have taken off as it has. Credit where it's due

Talk to any vendors who do business with him you might hear a different tune about how good he is at what he does

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If he was a chancer so what? He's made more money that 99% of this forum will ever see
    If you measure success by the amount of money you have (regardless of the methods used to get it), then you have a lot to learn!

• Advertisement

A good entrepreneur is one that doesn't burn his bridges like PC has.

He is something but a good businessman is not one of them.

VinLieger wrote: »
    He cant make money the way hes been doing and not have his name dragged through the mud, he wants to have his cake and eat it too and hes crying now that he cant

Why not? There are far worse corporations doing much more damage and they aren't called out on it in mainstream media like Cosgrave has been.

Cosgraves big mistake was to dare challenge the government. The only person who has taken on the government and won is Michael O'Leary though the govt did its best to impede Ryanair at every opportunity. Funnily enough the general public consensus is O'Leary and Ryanair are greedy, scamming so and so's. Like I said it's incredible how much influence the government can subtly exert on the general public.

It has a life of it's own at this stage. If Paddy wasn't there, it would still run and I'd even go so far as to say it would run better and be more successful as I think he's tarnished the brand. Did you read the article posted earlier where it spoke about how badly organised it is year on year and how there's no repeat business? He'll eventually run out of people to do business with unless he changes dramatically.

Cosgraves big mistake was to dare challenge the government.

How did he challenge the government?
    Wanting them to perform takes to assist his event (that he himself should be doing) is not challenging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why not? There are far worse corporations doing much more damage and they aren't called out on it in mainstream media like Cosgrave has been.

Cosgraves big mistake was to dare challenge the government. The only person who has taken on the government and won is Michael O'Leary though the govt did its best to impede Ryanair at every opportunity. Funnily enough the general public consensus is O'Leary and Ryanair are greedy, scamming so and so's. Like I said it's incredible how much influence the government can subtly exert on the general public.

Dear god, We do have a CT forum MSM..... Remind us again who leaked the Emails and then made a complete fool of themselves with their nonsense wish list and demands that are nothing to do with the Government.

kbannon wrote: »
    If you measure success by the amount of money you have (regardless of the methods used to get it), then you have a lot to learn!

It's not just the money. Cosgrave has created something that has become an annual global event with 30,000+ Attendees including government ministers from around the world and some of the biggest players in the tech industry. That's impressive in itself. Like I said credit where it's due. From 100 people to over 30,000 in a few years, incredible feat!

He'll eventually run out of people to do business with unless he changes dramatically.
    ...or moves country

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

A good entrepreneur is one that doesn't burn his bridges like PC has.

He is something but a good businessman is not one of them.

He got offered €35m for the holding company behind the Web Summit last year. He could probably double that this year. Not bad for 4 years work. He may not have come across the best over the last few weeks, in fact I would say say hes come across as a bit of a arrogant twat but hes a damn good businessman imo. A lot of really successful businessmen are arrogant twats. You don't make €35m+ in 4 years being a nice guy all the time

Because they keep quiet and don't raise their heads, they have good PR teams who don't shout and scream and draw attention to themselves which is what paddy did all week, and then was found out to have been lying the whole time

This government is far from popular but paddy managed to do what nobody else has for their entire term and that is to get a large majority of people to say "you know the government were right on this one"

His mistake was to be found out as a complete and utter hypocrite.

If he was a savvy businessman he would have made the announcement about Lisbon and left it at that. He would have had the majority on his side and the Government would have been on the backfoot. He let his ego drive things and he accordingly has reaped the rewards.

Personally I don't like Michael O'Leary but to even suggest that PC is comparable to Ryanair and MoL is fantasist nonsense of the highest order. Ryanair under MoL has not only shaken up flight services from Ireland but for the whole of Europe. Ryanair's impact for its clients and the Irish economy is tangible and measurable. The Websummit is the equivalent to a couple of games in the Aviva to the local economy. Any startup that got funding there probably would have got funding anyway.

• Advertisement

It has a life of it's own at this stage. If Paddy wasn't there, it would still run and I'd even go so far as to say it would run better and be more successful as I think he's tarnished the brand. Did you read the article posted earlier where it spoke about how badly organised it is year on year and how there's no repeat business? He'll eventually run out of people to do business with unless he changes dramatically.

It has a life of its own because of Paddy. He created the event and managed to build it from 100 attendees to over 30,000 that doesn't just happen magically. I'm surprised at how bitter you seem. Do you know him personally? To say Paddy deserves no credit for WS is outrageous.

sully2010 wrote: »
    He got offered €35m for the holding company behind the Web Summit last year. He could probably double that this year. Not bad for 4 years work. He may not have come across the best over the last few weeks, in fact I would say say hes come across as a bit of a arrogant twat but hes a damn good businessman imo. A lot of really successful businessmen are arrogant twats. You don't make €35m+ in 4 years being a nice guy all the time

He hasn't made 35m+ in 4 years. He was offered that last year. But after damaging the brand and deciding to move country where there's no proven success do you really think it's worth that now?

He hasn't made that until its sold. Given his recent behaviour he is probably the biggest threat to the Web Summit brand. Lisbon is probably going to be make or break for the brand. If he doesn't entice the US attendees over it could turn out to be a major disaster for them.

The sooner people realise this the better. I think there's a lot of very bitter posters on this thread tbh.

It was an incredible feat

It has a life of its own because of Paddy. He created the event and managed to build it from 100 attendees to over 30,000 that doesn't just happen magically. I'm surprised at how bitter you seem. Do you know him personally? To say Paddy deserves no credit for WS is outrageous.

Stop putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting my posts. I did not say that Paddy Gosgrave deserves no credit for WS. And no, I do not know him.

He hasn't made that until its sold. Given his recent behaviour he is probably the biggest threat to the Web Summit brand. Lisbon is probably going to be make or break for the brand. If he doesn't entice the US attendees over it could turn out to be a major disaster for them.

Ah come on, credit where it's due he's built something worth tens of millions in just 4 years from humble beginnings.

Stop putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting my posts. I did not say that Paddy Gosgrave deserves no credit for WS. And no, I do not know him.

I would like to read you actually saying 'Paddy Cosgrave deserves massive credit for WS'

The sooner people realise this the better. I think there's a lot of very bitter posters on this thread tbh.

It was an incredible feat

Did you attend or know anyone who did or worked with the summit this year, I didnt attend this year but know many who did or who worked with it and I have heard zero positive feedback at best I heard the equivalent of "it was grand"

Anyone supplying or working as a contractor doing foods etc has come away with very bitter tastes in their mouths. He has burned pretty much every single bridge he had.

I would like to read you actually saying 'Paddy Cosgrave deserves massive credit for WS'
    Eh... no. This isn't school detention.

• Advertisement

His mistake was to be found out as a complete and utter hypocrite.

If he was a savvy businessman he would have made the announcement about Lisbon and left it at that. He would have had the majority on his side and the Government would have been on the backfoot. He let his ego drive things and he accordingly has reaped the rewards.

Personally I don't like Michael O'Leary but to even suggest that PC is comparable to Ryanair and MoL is fantasist nonsense of the highest order. Ryanair under MoL has not only shaken up flight services from Ireland but for the whole of Europe. Ryanair's impact for its clients and the Irish economy is tangible and measurable. The Websummit is the equivalent to a couple of games in the Aviva to the local economy. Any startup that got funding there probably would have got funding anyway.

Only a couple of games at the Aviva? So hundreds of millions of euro to the Irish economy as well as bringing huge numbers of visitors who could potentially become future tourists.

Yep, the WS offers no tangible benefit to the Irish economy. And you speak of fantasist nonsense....

Advertisement