Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

smash wrote: »
    He hasn't made 35m+ in 4 years. He was offered that last year. But after damaging the brand and deciding to move country where there's no proven success do you really think it's worth that now?

Travis Kalinick CEO of UBER is known as an arrogant prick. Do you think investors give a crap? Steve jobs was a complete wanker to his staff and was a very difficult person to work with, it led to him being sacked from apple early on before they begged him to come back and they now have $200bn cash in the bank.

Paddy has not damaged his brand if you read international publications, the government are the ones looking like complete idiots. Hes a very clever businessman and he has got a lot of free worldwide publicity out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

WarZ wrote: »
    Only a couple of games at the Aviva? So hundreds of millions of euro to the Irish economy as well as bringing huge numbers of visitors who could potentially become future tourists.

Well that's not true. A hundred million was just thrown out there by Enda one day but never verified or broken down. Divided by the 30,000 attendees it would mean that the average that every attendee would be spending is just over €3,333 each. over €1,100 a day... each. I don't think so.

sully2010 wrote: »
    Travis Kalinick CEO of UBER is known as an arrogant prick. Do you think investors give a crap? Steve jobs was a complete wanker to his staff and was a very difficult person to work with, it led to him being sacked from apple early on before they begged him to come back and they now have $200bn cash in the bank.
    Funny though how they did it themselves and didn't go looking for their government's to run their businesses for them.
    Paddy has not damaged his brand if you read international publications, the government are the ones looking like complete idiots. Hes a very clever businessman and he has got a lot of free worldwide publicity out of this.

Here's probably the two most viral international news story about the web summit.

http://tech.eu/features/6244/web-summit-scam-well-ask/
    http://tech.eu/features/6203/no-web-summit-for-me/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Well that's not true. A hundred million was just thrown out there by Enda one day but never verified or broken down. Divided by the 30,000 attendees it would mean that the average that every attendee would be spending is just over €3,333 each. over €1,100 a day... each. I don't think so.

With the price of food, I can see how you'd spend that much alright!

Funny though how they did it themselves and didn't go looking for their government's to run their businesses for them.

Here's probably the two most viral international news story about the web summit.

http://tech.eu/features/6203/no-web-summit-for-me/

Thats tech.eu, I'm sure Paddy and co are more concerned about what the likes of Bloomberg and FT are reporting.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-03/dublin-tech-hub-image-dented-by-e-mails-on-web-summit-exit-plan

• Advertisement

Thats tech.eu, I'm sure Paddy and co are more concerned about what the likes of Bloomberg and FT are reporting.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-03/dublin-tech-hub-image-dented-by-e-mails-on-web-summit-exit-plan

I really fail to see how that article portrays Cosgrave as anything more than a whingy brat who couldn't manage his own issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

If it was as successful as some people are preaching what is to stop some other event organiser developing a similar jaunt next year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I doubt anyone involved with the food summit will work with him or anyone to do with him ever again.
    A quick search will find plenty of stories from start ups about how they were completely ripped off and misled by the websummit too.
    He should take his 35 million and run, it looks like he is in danger of running out of suckers.

This emperor has no clothes.

Ascii wrote: »
    If it was as successful as some people are preaching what is to stop some other event organiser developing a similar jaunt next year ?

The first year of the StartupGathering.ie by Startup Ireland happened in November. They are non profit and pro startup so they could fill the vacuum. WS wants to make as much money as possible and if that means ripping off startups then so be it. They seem to keep growing and growing despite this, it is a disgrace to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Wow, those comments at the bottom really highlight the dissatisfaction people are feeling with the conference. The guy connected to the summit spamming the shíte out of the comments is just making things worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So Paddy fecks off to sunny Lisbon with his $60m company and his model fiancee. I doubt he cares too much for all the haters on here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

If it's such a big deal why did he not move it to the USA..... Ah yeah 30k would be a meeting of Elvis impersonators there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

That's a very simplistic analysis. What about the huge amount of people employed through WS and spending that new income? Security, marques, stewards, lighting and sound etc.

All these factors add up, also outside of attendees there are tons of events all over the city. Town is absolutely jammers for a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday with people heading out

I've a feeling Enda has more reliable economic information than u do to be honest

That's a very simplistic analysis. What about the huge amount of people employed through WS and spending that new income? Security, marques, stewards, lighting and sound etc.

All these factors add up, also outside of attendees there are tons of events all over the city. Town is absolutely jammers for a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday with people heading out

I've a feeling Enda has more reliable economic information than u do to be honest

Off the guy with an arm full of pints was it ? Or did the army at the ATMs inform him of it ?

They're mostly volunteers and for those who aren't, it's only 3 days work.
    I know that. But did you know that start ups are asked to host and pay for a lot of these events?
    So do I, so I wish he'd give areal figure. He just threw that out as a ballpark figure when asked a question.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So Paddy fecks off to sunny Lisbon with his $60m company and his model fiancee. I doubt he cares too much for all the haters on here :pac:

A lot of very bitter and unfulfilled people on this thread. It's very revealing

If it's such a big deal why did he not move it to the USA..... Ah yeah 30k would be a meeting of Elvis impersonators there.

Tell me, have you created an event that has made you a millionaire in 4 years?

Let's be honest it's unlikely you'll ever see that sort of money. Your only outlet is to bitterly attack those who have realised their dreams

Yes it is very revealing, Remind us again who blamed the Government for their in ability to run their own event ?

Tell me, have you created an event that has made you a millionaire in 4 years?

Let's be honest it's unlikely you'll ever see that sort of money. Your only outlet is to bitterly attack those who have realised their dreams

Has he sold the company ?

They're mostly volunteers and for those who aren't, it's only 3 days work.

I know that. But did you know that start ups are asked to host and pay for a lot of these events?

So do I, so I wish he'd give areal figure. He just threw that out as a ballpark figure when asked a question.

Lol yeah those charlatans working security, port a loos, marques, event sound and lighting, etc are all doing it for free. The only volunteers are info people which is common at events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Ascii wrote: »

Nothing to stop them, but might find it hard to attract much attention when anyone who's anyone will be planning on going to Lisbon. People don't want to go to any old event, they want to go to THE events as that's where the people with the money go.

I don't understand the view on here that it's of no real concern that this event is moving though. Whatever you think of Cosgrave or his motives it brought in a lot of cash for the economy and it was HUGE in the realms of IT. Whether its little more than networking or not those people networking at this event are people with the power to bring a whole lot more business to Ireland.

And having such a big tech event here was also huge for the image of Ireland as a tech hub. The coverage worldwide of the event moving to Lisbon because of lack of infrastructure or a willingness of the government to invest in or support it is terrible for Ireland.

It's a huge loss.

Has he sold the company ?

No but he could whenever he wants and be a multi millionaire. As it stands he already is a millionaire irrespective of whether he sells or not.

What do you do that gives you such a position to belittle Paddys achievement by the way? I'd love to know

Lol yeah those charlatans working security, port a loos, marques, event sound and lighting, etc are all doing it for free. The only volunteers are info people which is common at events.

Sure lets just side step the proof to the contrary. “You have been chosen to attend the WS” hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I would like to read you actually saying 'Paddy Cosgrave deserves massive credit for WS'

I'd like to hear you admit that the Web Summit is based on exploitation in order to make personal profits for the organisers.

Exploitation of start-ups.
    Exploitation of speakers.
    Exploitation of volunteers.
    Exploitation of food vendors.
    Exploitation of the venue.
    Exploitation of public money.

Exploitation of everybody, really.

So Paddy Cosgrave and WebSummit should be allowed to do whatever they want because money and people who have issues with how they conduct themselves are just being bitter and unfulfilled?

That's got a bit of a Bertie 'people talking down the economy should kill themselves' Ahern vibe to it…

No but he could whenever he wants and be a multi millionaire. As it stands he already is a millionaire irrespective of whether he sells or not.

What do you do that gives you such a position to belittle Paddys achievement by the way? I'd love to know

And if he has killed off the company good name and the company is worth nothing how will he sell it ?

Nothing to stop them, but might find it hard to attract much attention when anyone who's anyone will be planning on going to Lisbon. People don't want to go to any old event, they want to go to THE events as that's where the people with the money go.

I don't understand the view on here that it's of no real concern that this event is moving though. Whatever you think of Cosgrave or his motives it brought in a lot of cash for the economy and it was HUGE in the realms of IT. Whether its little more than networking or not those people networking at this event are people with the power to bring a whole lot more business to Ireland.

And having such a big tech event here was also huge for the image of Ireland as a tech hub. The coverage worldwide of the event moving to Lisbon because of lack of infrastructure or a willingness of the government to invest in or support it is terrible for Ireland.

It's a huge loss.

Exactly. Every new investor or start up visiting Ireland for their first time is great for the country as is the worldwide media coverage. For a such a small country it really puts us on the map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Then he should have just done the LLS spot.

Exactly. Every new investor or start up visiting Ireland for their first time is great for the country as is the worldwide media coverage. For a such a small country it really puts us on the map

Sorry the Ws is 4 years old all the big tech companies are already here get off the stage. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Why not? There are far worse corporations doing much more damage and they aren't called out on it in mainstream media like Cosgrave has been.

Cosgraves big mistake was to dare challenge the government. .

Cosgraves big mistake was to open his mouth, release emails and start a spat that anyone could see was him throwing toys out of his pram. He is solely to blame for that, nobody else.
    It has a life of its own because of Paddy. He created the event and managed to build it from 100 attendees to over 30,000 that doesn't just happen magically. I'm surprised at how bitter you seem. Do you know him personally? To say Paddy deserves no credit for WS is outrageous.

Started with 400. Assisted ably by the Irish taxpayer. It's doubtful he would have had the finances to get WS off the ground the way he did without serious financial help from us (the taxpayer).

The summit is a loss to Dublin & Ireland, there is no doubt about that. There is also no doubt that Paddy Cosgrave is a liar and a backstabber. Maybe he will see the wrongs of his ways and come back to Dublin in 3 years, maybe not.

The alternative is that we put in provisional planning for new WS in Dublin in 2017 with the backing of some of the tech giants here and make a new WS without Paddy Cosgrave.

He's had a bit of luck, fair play to him and I don't begrudge him that, but we don't have to take the removal of WS from Dublin lying down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Web Summit Lisbon 2016 - Preliminary programme of events

Tuesday November 8th:
    CEO of Web Summit, Paddy Cosgrave, runs to the summit of Mount Bull**** and lights the flame for the ceremonial burning of the bridge across Lisbon harbour to open the event. This flame will burn for the duration of the event.

Former Portuguese dictator Antonio Salazar pops up from the grave (in a new browser window) to speak about how strong leadership is essential in the world of start-up web enterprises.

Wednesday November 9th:
    CEO of Web Summit, and leader of the tech universe, Paddy Cosgrave, debates with Cristiano Ronaldo on how to develop the ego as part of a successful strategy for personal brand development.

A spokesman for the low-cost canned ham, Spam, speaks with Paddy about how nuisance e-mails being branded with the same name as the product he represents unexpectedly led to a boom in the canned ham world.

Thursday November 10th:
    CEO of Web Summit, leader of the tech universe, and "the man who made the wireless microphone the must have fashion accessory of 2016", Paddy Cosgrave, debates with Paris St. Germain manager Jose Mourinho about how making a fool of yourself in public can, counterintuitively, improve your marketability in the business world.

Former EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso agrees with Paddy that the Irish Government are a shower of amateur, incompetent *****.

Closing ceremony: Paddy's ego is ceremonially massaged and paraded through the streets of Lisbon, pending the Portuguese government widening the streets of the city in time.

Angel investors run to the summit of Mount Bull**** (which is expected to be considerably higher than at the start of the event) and ascend into heaven. with all bowing at their feet.

The flames of the burning bridge are extinguished to signal the end of the Summit.

Lunch available on all days from €30, extra olives (single) €1 each.

Low cost accommodation available at a special rate, starting from just €400 euro per night (per person).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Tarzana2 wrote: »

Aye. When you look at it though, he had managed to weave such a complex concoction of BS stories over the past few weeks, there was no way the LLS would have been anything other than a disaster of epic proportions. From a PR perspective, cancelling it was his most prudent move so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The funny thing is he cares so much about what people think of him, that’s why he acted like a spoilt child trying to throw dirt at the government and succeeded in just getting it all over himself. As soon as he wasn’t getting 100% approval from the media he threw a tantrum and refused to talk to them.

He’s done well for himself in a quite morally bankrupt way but his massive ego needs for himself to be seen as some sort of messiah of Ireland.

Tarzana2 wrote: »

The guy is rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams and he isn't yet 35 years of age. He doesn't need the LLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Isn't he on the Late Late show tonight?

Be interesting to see how he acts or reacts to questions by the Twig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The guy is rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams and he isn't yet 30 years of age. He doesn't need the LLS

I thought he was 32?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

mzungu wrote: »
    Aye. When you look at it though, he had managed to weave such a complex concoction of BS stories over the past few weeks, there was no way the LLS would have been anything other than a disaster of epic proportions. From a PR perspective, cancelling it was his most prudent move so far.

If he was any good, he'd go on the LLS and run rings around Tubridy, probably the most useless interviewer in the history of RTE.

Tubridy has come out in support of Cosgrave, so he would probably have gotten an easy ride anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd like to hear you admit that the Web Summit is based on exploitation in order to make personal profits for the organisers.

Exploitation of start-ups.
    Exploitation of speakers.
    Exploitation of volunteers.
    Exploitation of food vendors.
    Exploitation of the venue.
    Exploitation of public money.

Exploitation of everybody, really.

Exploitation of their paid staff too. I've known a number of people who have worked for them. A combination of low wages, and long hours, resulted in a few of these people working out that they were effectively on less than minimum wage on an hourly basis. All of these people were well qualified graduates, too, for context.

Paddy had a very well timed company concept - and went about expanding it very well. Hes a smart, and mostly very competent, guy.

Unfortunately he's also made a habit of burning bridges absolutely everywhere. I'd say this has as much to do with Web Summit moving to Lisbon as any other factor.

mzungu wrote: »
    I thought he was 32?

corrected. Pretty impressive to have a $60m company at the age of 32. No doubt he also gets great opportunities to invest in start ups going places too so I'd imagine he is worth a fair bit more than just his own company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Isn't he on the Late Late show tonight?

Be interesting to see how he acts or reacts to questions by the Twig.

Naw he has decided not to attend now!

• Advertisement

corrected. Pretty impressive to have a $60m company at the age of 32. No doubt he also gets great opportunities to invest in start ups going places too so I'd imagine he is worth a fair bit more than just his own company.

Can you list some of these successes? From what I can see all his other ventures were massive failures.

gandalf wrote: »

I think the correct term is that he's taken his ball and gone home because he's too cowardly to come face to face with the interviewing pitbull that is 'Tubs'...

Red Kev wrote: »
    If he was any good, he'd go on the LLS and run rings around Tubridy, probably the most useless interviewer in the history of RTE.

Tubridy has come out in support of Cosgrave, so he would probably have gotten an easy ride anyway.

I agree, Tubridy would have been by far the easiest to deal with. After the week it has been, i'm sure PC didn't want to potentially add more fuel to the fire.

I wonder who Tubbs will have on as a replacement. Eamo Dunphy hasn't been on it a few weeks, I reckon they will get him in for a rant about the hospitals, Irish football team etc...that should kill 20 minutes or so.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I think the correct term is that he's taken his ball and gone home because he's too cowardly to come face to face with the interviewing pitbull that is 'Tubs'...

LOL a toothless interviewing pitbull with a hugging fetish you mean :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Can you list some of these successes? From what I can see all his other ventures were massive failures.

Well ya know what they say in Silicon Valley, fail fast and fail often....

gandalf wrote: »

Understandable considering the witch hunt being waged against him. Appearing on LLS will only play into the hands of those who want to damage the WS. Tubridy would undoubtedly set out to destroy Cosgrave. Him appearing at WS was a ruse a sheep in wolves clothing attempt by Tubridy. Cosgrave didn't fall for it.

Look at you gleefully commenting on him not attending. This guy has accomplished more than you ever will in your lifetime in 4 years. He has had more of an impact on the global stage than you ever will. He is a self made multi millionaire at 32. So what if he doesn't turn up on LLS I doubt he cares and why should he, LLS is a joke. And he doesn't need to cater to the likes of you.

He's moving on to bigger and better things most likely and leaving the begrudgers behind

LOL "destroyed by Tubridy"!!! ROLFOL Brilliant, just brilliant! I have to admit this thread has provided a good few laughs :D

It takes a lot of balls to create a global event like he has done. hes not going on LLS because it will be awful PR he is being smart.

Also if your going to call individuals cowards then how about you post your full name and stand behind your comments?

Look at you gleefully commenting on him not attending. This guy has accomplished more than you ever will in your lifetime in 4 years. He has had more of an impact on the global stage than you ever will. He is a self made multi millionaire at 32.

So, does it matter what way he makes his money or is it just important that he's a millionaire?

This gave me a good laugh, What next he's the Irish Mark Zuckerberg.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement