Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

WarZ wrote: »
    I've admitted he is terrible at PR but there's a lot of people downplaying his success and not giving him any credit. Also having pops at him for not appearing on live TV when he is likely experiencing pressure that they could never imagine (yes due to his lack of media skills).

He was a media whore for long enough, only to turn into a shrinking violet as soon as people started asking actual questions of his statements and practices rather than going along with the narrative he concocted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've admitted he is terrible at PR but there's a lot of people downplaying his success and not giving him any credit. Also having pops at him for not appearing on live TV when he is likely experiencing pressure that they could never imagine (yes due to his lack of media skills).

Agreed about the terrible PR but that's just a symptom of the problems, not the problem itself.

I won't deny that the event is clearly a success for WebSummit inc, and the advertising and shiny lights will probably attract people for years to come.

Once enough people think it's the event to go to, it becomes a pretty self-fulfilling prophecy regardless of the content. If he moves it around from city to city annually, he's got a great chance of getting people to nag their bosses for tickets to this year's fun junket location.

Its value as an conference in its own right is questionable, and personally I think the tactics are exploitative, given that the companies paying a lot of the bills are most likely not very flush with cash and have been completely over-sold what the event will do for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This a million times over. Complaining about the space given to them and the amount of competing start ups? Do some god damn research before investing thousands and not even establishing basic details.

Exactly, why would you pay for a booth at an event and not even ask what size it is? If those business people aren't business savvy enough to confirm this essential detail in advance of paying out money then why are they even in business?

In any case there has been plenty of start ups at the WS who began with 1m booths and got investment. They got investment because investors liked their idea and backed them. The vast majority don't get investment because investors didn't want to back them, such is life, come up with a better idea. But blaming their failures on a 1m booth smacks of bitterness from naive business people
    gandalf wrote: »
    Well there is 30 million of a difference ;)

Just out of curiosity when?

The figure was $60m, it is linked on this thread about 2 weeks ago. iirc it was in an article about the WS in the Financial Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Exactly, why would you pay for a booth at an event and not even ask what size it is? If those business people aren't business savvy enough to confirm this essential detail in advance of paying out money then why are they even in business?

In any case there has been plenty of start ups at the WS who began with 1m booths and got investment. They got investment because investors liked their idea and backed them. The vast majority don't get investment because investors didn't want to back them, such is life, come up with a better idea. But blaming their failures on a 1m booth smacks of bitterness from naive business people

The figure was $60m, it is linked on this thread about 2 weeks ago. iirc it was in an article about the WS in the Financial Times.

Why are some outlets using words like scam ?

Why are some outlets using words like scam ?

Because they didn't get investment and want to blame anyone but themselves. Its the same with people who go for job interviews and don't get the job. They are bitter and seek to blame anyone except themselves.

oh and you didn't explain to me yet how you're more successful than Paddy Cosgrave, you conveniently ignored that :rolleyes: are you jealous of him and his success or something?

• Advertisement

Because they didn't get investment and want to blame anyone but themselves. Its the same with people who go for job interviews and don't get the job. They are bitter and seek to blame anyone except themselves.

oh and you didn't explain to me yet how you're more successful than Paddy Cosgrave, you conveniently ignored that :rolleyes: are you jealous of him or something?

Why would I be jealous of someone who release emails and make a fool of themselves ?

By that logic every con and scam out there isn’t actually bad because it’s the victims fault for not being smarter. Someone’s credit card details were stolen – ‘Ah, they should have taken better care of their card’

He over advertised and under delivered, it’s a way to do business and make a quick buck but it’s not one that I respect or I believe has potential in the long term (as we’re seeing from the public reaction now).

Why would I be jealous of a someone who release emails and make a fool of themselves ?

I dunno, cos his company has been valued at $60m and at the young age of 32 he is clearly far more successful than most people? Jealousy is a pretty common trait you know.

Ironically you’re actually describing Cosgraves’s actions over the last few weeks.

The government didn’t bend over backwards to give him what he wanted so he threw every toy out of the pram blaming everyone else but himself.

I dunno, cos his company has been valued at $60m and at the young age of 32 he is clearly far more successful than most people? Jealousy is a pretty common trait you know.

Got a link please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

oh and you didn't explain to me yet how you're more successful than Paddy Cosgrave, you conveniently ignored that :rolleyes: are you jealous of him and his success or something?

So you have to be more successful then somebody to be critical of them
    . That's very strange logic. Are we all to bow down to those who are more successful and anything you say is jealously?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He over advertised and under delivered, it’s a way to do business and make a quick buck but it’s not one that I respect or I believe has potential in the long term (as we’re seeing from the public reaction now).

Oh I agree with you there but at the end of the day when spending any money -caveat emptor. People who do well at business are savvy, people who don't are naive. There will always be fools waiting to be parted with their money and sharks willing to do it such is the nature of capitalism. Those moaning about 1m booths were naive, those who got investment from 1m booths were savvy. It wasn't the booth that made any difference, it was their idea, product and business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

Why would I be jealous of someone who release emails and make a fool of themselves ?

A very rich fool who could retire to the sun now if he wanted at the age of 32. I don't think hes overly bothered what people think of him regarding the email release or anything else.

In my opinion he is wrong, very wrong in how he seduces and charges extortionate prices to start ups. Hes right about the government and the whole hush money comment imo. They are only interested in photo ops instead of really driving entrepreneurship and start ups in this country. The best have left and a lot of those that stay here get swamped by competition. The Collisons, Oisin Hanrahan, I could go on and on. They leave, just like the WS have because they are smart and they know better.

sully2010 wrote: »
    A very rich fool who could retire to the sun now if he wanted at the age of 32. I don't think hes overly bothered what people think of him regarding the email release or anything else.

In my opinion he is wrong, very wrong in how he seduces and charges extortionate prices to start ups. Hes right about the government and the whole hush money comment imo. They are only interested in photo ops instead of really driving entrepreneurship and start ups in this country. The best have left and a lot of those that stay here get swamped by competition. The Collisons, Oisin Hanrahan, I could go on and on. They leave, just like the WS have because they are smart and they know better.

Don't seem to know how capitalism 101 works in the hotel market. or how to set-up Wi-Fi or schedule transport. I could go on. All they seem to know is blame everyone for stuff that is their own responsibility on setting up and event like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

Don't seem to know how capitalism 101 works in the hotel market. or how to set-up Wi-Fi or schedule transport. I could go on. All they seem to know is blame everyone for stuff that is their own responsibility on setting up and event like this.

They were looking for the best deal they could get, they are a business who's aim is solely to make as much cash as possible. With other European cities offering to throw money at them and pander to their demands why wouldn't they ask for the same here. I know I would. It could mean the difference between a 50ft and a 70ft yacht:pac:

For the third time I’m going to call bull**** on this (I haven’t received a response from the last two posts that stated this tripe).

The guy is an ego maniac and if he didn’t care what people think he would have accepted responsibilities for the decisions he’s made rather than flat out lie by trying to throw dirt at others and run from the media as soon as interviews became more than a PR opp. Himself, his co-founders, and their acolytes cant stand anyone saying negative things about him.

Please provide some/any evidence that shows he doesn’t care what people think.

Exactly. As Tubridy said yesterday once you get successful in Ireland people are out to clip your wings. Perhaps the best example of this is the developer Tom Gilmartin who made a fortune in the UK and came home to invest in Ireland. His treatment was shocking and resulted in the Flood tribunal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I see the Portuguese government have done a great job of controlling the hotel prices for the Summit next year.......Paddy will be pleased.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/web-summit/lisbon-hotel-prices-rocket-for-summit-2016-34175243.html

Exactly. As Tubridy said yesterday once you get successful in Ireland people are out to clip your wings. Perhaps the best example of this is the developer Tom Gilmartin who made a fortune in the UK and came home to invest in Ireland. His treatment was shocking and resulted in the Flood tribunal.

Calling nonsense on this one, People were in support of the Fella till the web of lies caught up with them and the Email where Released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

The guy is a Muppet, a spoofer and figured out how to use people (work for free ) and charge people in to see stuff, these conferences never charge in& offer a free entry... check the biggest other electronic media exhibitions such as nab or cedia,nobody pays in.

He made his profit and should run for the hills with it before we give him a few slaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gilmartin did more for this country than this wide boy ever will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Thank god this is over,I do hope that crybaby rattle throwing upward nose pointing cossy got a right smack of the door on the way out..
    The lad needs a wake up call and him being the smug twat he is will probably go off into the sunset thinking he has made it.. He has peed off a nation and he aint welcome back in my book...

[URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/6izEx67.jpg[/img]"]6izEx67.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

His behaviour since he announced it was moving to Lisbon is very much of someone who cares what people think of him. Every thing he has done was an attempt to save his public image.

The funny thing is if he hadnt released the emails in the first place he would have been grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

They were looking for the best deal they could get, they are a business who's aim is solely to make as much cash as possible. With other European cities offering to throw money at them and pander to their demands why wouldn't they ask for the same here. I know I would. It could mean the difference between a 50ft and a 70ft yacht:pac:
    No, they were whining about everyone else not giving them everything for free and at the same time charging €1245.00 for one ticket!!!

AnnMarie McHugh runs the ploughing - almost 300,000 (10 times WS) people and not a bother.

Cosgrave has good ideas, but is a dreadful organiser and commumicator.

Calling nonsense on this one, People were in support of the Fella till the web of lies caught up with them and the Email where Released.

eh no, it was announced on the 24th Sept that they were leaving for Lisbon. The emails didn't surface for nearly a month after that announcement. In the month that passed between the two events you can see a ton of vitriol written about him on this very thread. In fact here's a quote from page one of this thread
    Bambi wrote: »
    Delighted they're gone. It was a social media bull**t fest.

That poster is "delighted" to see Ireland lose the WS and a €108m value to the Irish economy. Theres a stack of similar sentiment on the thread so it is simply incorrect to say that people supported him when there was actually people jumping up and down with glee at the fact it was moving and Ireland was losing jobs and economic activity from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

eh no, it was announced on the 24th Sept that they were leaving for Lisbon. The emails didn't surface for nearly a month after that announcement. In the month that passed between the two events you can see a ton of vitriol written about him on this very thread. In fact here's a quote from page one of this thread

That poster is "delighted" to see Ireland lose the WS and a €108m value to the Irish economy. Theres a stack of similar sentiment on the thread so it is simply incorrect to say that people supported him when there was actually people jumping up and down with glee at the fact it was moving and Ireland was losing jobs and economic activity from it.

€108m? I think its more like €37.5m, that is the figure from Fáilte Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

So how did Paddy's march on the Dail go last night? Was it a bloodless coup or did he half to crack some heads?

Or, did he pull out at the last minute?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

mzungu wrote: »

Sure the American Football Game in the Aviva next September is estimated to bring in €24 million to the economy. As I said two events in the Aviva and we'll make up for the loss of the WS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Or, did he pull out at the last minute?:D

Yeah the Web Summit version of the rhythm method :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Sure the American Football Game in the Aviva next September is estimated to bring in €24 million to the economy. As I said two events in the Aviva and we'll make up for the loss of the WS.

Agree, the economy should be able to soak up the loss quite easily.

Yeah the Web Summit version of the rhythm method :P

e6b05d84aa03333b6935b6076aa7dfcf.jpg:p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

Paddy is a bit of a tosser tbh, but still I'm gutted its gone. Really enjoyed the energy of the event and the city when it was on. Lots of little fringe things going on too, like hackathons etc which won't happen without the main event. Damn. Lucky Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

futonic wrote: »
    Paddy is a bit of a tosser tbh, but still I'm gutted its gone. Really enjoyed the energy of the event and the city when it was on. Lots of little fringe things going on too, like hackathons etc which won't happen without the main event. Damn. Lucky Lisbon.

With all of the international attendees that have stated they are sad to see it leaving Dublin and that coming to Ireland was part of the attraction of attending in the first place. Plus passion from people like you to just have these side sessions outside of the summit. You'd imagine there's a great opportunity for somebody to pick up the pieces and stage something in Dublin anyways...

The guy is rich beyond most peoples wildest dreams and he isn't yet 35 years of age. He doesn't need the LLS

So, why did he agree to appear on it? I guess he was rich before he made that
    commitment to Ryan Tubridy? :D

So, does it matter what way he makes his money or is it just important that he's a millionaire?

Paddy is a Master of The Universe whose philosophy seems to be encapsulated
    in the 'Greed is good' mantra. What's not to admire about that? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Any link to the company being worth 60m ? or was it a Forbes estimation ? Has anyone actually made any offer of that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

If the government was the innocent one in all this then why did they feel the need to offer 'hush' money to WS (which the government didn't deny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Theres a stack of similar sentiment on the thread so it is simply incorrect to say that people supported him when there was actually people jumping up and down with glee at the fact it was moving and Ireland was losing jobs and economic activity from it.
    What jobs are being lost from a three day conference not being held here?

The vast majority of people working at it were not being paid.

And the food vendors will have more money in their pockets, that's for sure, because next year they won't lose thousands due to Paddy's price gouging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

The vast majority of people working at it were not being paid.

And the food vendors will have more money in their pockets, that's for sure, because next year they won't lose thousands due to Paddy's price gouging.

There were very little actual volunteers. There were hundreds and hundreds of people working in security, cleaning services, stewarding, marques, electricians, audio and visual people and probably a **** load more of areas that I can't think of but what you would expect at an event hosting over 30,000 people!

Then there's all the extra staff put on in hotels, restaurants and popular bars and nightclubs (places like Opium jammers on a Tuesday) to cater to the influx of people. All the extra fares for taxis and rickshaws (I saw tons of people getting rickshaws all the way to Ranelagh last night so taxis must have been very busy).

I'd imagine the event created extra shifts/jobs for thousands of workers across the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If the government was the innocent one in all this then why did they feel the need to offer 'hush' money to WS (which the government didn't deny)

Your getting more and more desperate.

That money was given over a 4 year period and its only in the last 2 weeks cosgrave has decided it was hush money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

There were very little actual volunteers. There were hundreds and hundreds of people working in security, cleaning services, stewarding, marques, electricians, audio and visual people and probably a **** load more of areas that I can't think of but what you would expect at an event hosting over 30,000 people!

Then there's all the extra staff put on in hotels, restaurants and popular bars and nightclubs (places like Opium jammers on a Tuesday) to cater to the influx of people. All the extra fares for taxis and rickshaws (I saw tons of people getting rickshaws all the way to Ranelagh last night so taxis must have been very busy).

I'd imagine the event created extra shifts/jobs for thousands of workers across the city.
    1,468 volunteers last year according to Web Summit itself.

So some people won't get a few extra shifts.

In terms of proper, permanent jobs being lost, well, there basically won't be any.

The Dublin-Mayo All-Ireland semi-final replay had at least as much economic value as the Web Summit, and probably more.

Nobody would have lost their job had one of the teams got a late winner in the drawn match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Then there's all the extra staff put on in hotels, restaurants and popular bars and nightclubs (places like Opium jammers on a Tuesday) to cater to the influx of people. .

No way pubs took on extra staff for the WS. If any of them were busier than usual, they were absolutely not busier than any average Saturday.

Complete baloney there.

Couple of lounge boys got an extra 4 hours or so maybe in a few places, whoop dee do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Never heard such a crowd of moaners make so much noise about fecking off to Lisbon that I am delighted they are now fecking off for real.

Goodbye and good riddance.

(Lisbon, hopefully they stay with you for ever - if they ever decide to move on again you are in for some whingefest).

link please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

while all of us are critical of the web summit lets not get silly. its an event and generates business.

Enda himself said it is worth €108m a year to the Irish economy. All the secret FGers on this thread dispute this figure but that's what came out of Enda Kennys mouth. €108m is a lot of economic activity, especially on a November Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night but sure there's loads of people on this thread who would try to convince you that its worth nothing and sure they can just feck off and take their money elsewhere because 'Paddy Cosgrave Ra Ra Ra'
    Agree, the economy should be able to soak up the loss quite easily.

Whataboutery and circle jerking going on right here. Why not use the Web Summit as a shop window to attract other major conferences in the 30,000 range? Instead you two are full of "hope" that American Football events might replace the €108m loss to the economy. Perhaps ye should crash your American Football helmets together to come up with better ideas of how to fill Dublin hotels in midweek Novembers? :rolleyes:

Clearly you've no idea of how conferencdes and investment works. It's not about a few jobs on the day, its about many more after connections are made. The IDA has being doing this stuff since the Apple days, they exhibit abroad in the hope of gaining jobs in Ireland. Web Summit also facilitated this, right on our very doorstep. But now it's gone and the haters remain
    No way pubs took on extra staff for the WS. If any of them were busier than usual, they were absolutely not busier than any average Saturday.

eh its Tuesday to Thursday in November when many people give up drink alrogether. Pubs in Dublin were rammed for the last four days because of the WS, you'd have to be blind not to have noticed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That is quite frankly the stupidest post you've made on the thread.

A: Paddy stated that any state support was given in exchange for advertising space.

B: Paddy gets desperate after losing the public sympathy, decides to change his mind and makes an elaborate story of how all state support wasn't in fact for advertising but instead it was hush money to cover up and distract from social issues like homelessness! Wtf?

C: A government minister says that if it was just hush money in his eyes, then he should give it back!

D: Paddy shuts the fcuk up. Probably after realising just how daft he sounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

After numerous requests there still isn't any cite for this, I think a few posters should either put up or shut up at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

After numerous requests there still isn't any cite for this, I think a few posters should either put up or shut up at this stage.

Agreed. It was mentioned in an article posted yesterday that they have a cash reserve of only 1.1m.

Before you make demands of posters I think you should learn how to search a thread. The citation you've begged for was linked, hence the reason your demands have fallen on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
Advertisement