Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

whiskeyman wrote: »
    hookers and coke dealers will be hit hard...

What an excellent assessment of the web summit ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

What exactly has he done to be a D4 stereotype? He has a posh accent but that's about it.

I'm glad to see the back of him, but that's because of the childish way he's reacted to the government not giving into his demands, not because he's snobby, or whatever else a D4 'state of mind' is.

How did someone who grew up on a farm in Wicklow get a posh accent, or is it put on? ;)

He already has an unruly head of hair, really he should be going round saying 'well Holy God!' all the time for the Wicklow farming stereotype ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    How did someone who grew up on a farm in Wicklow get a posh accent, or is it put on? ;)

I've had three accents in my life from living in different places for a few years. I didn't make an effort to change the accent, it's just something that gradually happens to a lot of people. I don't know what age he is but if he's lived in Dublin for a few years, which I would assume he has it's very possible he picked it up naturally. There's hundreds of thousands of people with what would be considered a 'posh' accent, it's not like it's exclusive to Dublin 4.

Again just to clarify, the guy sounds like he's a greedy unethical businessman that exploits startups, let's knock him down for that! Not that he speaks with a posh accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

micromary wrote: »
    Good riddance to Web Summit. It brings in all these guy like Rio Ferdinand and that guy who wrote the Di Vinci Code at the ordinary punters cost. I remember 2 years ago I had my own business and had to go for a interview with this bunch of tossers. In the end I gave them my opinion of the whole thing. They then started to advise me what good value the €600 + tickets are. e What??????????? To hear for the most part a load of crap from people who have nothing better to do. Glad Cosgrove and his Summit have gone. Feel sorry for Lisbon though.

What exactly do you mean by "I had to go for an interview with this bunch of tossers?" And what opinion did you give them?

Sounds like the rant of someone with a failed start up/business. Or more likely someone who really doesn't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

awec wrote: »
    The price of the tickets is fairly standard for that sort of conference. Most tech conferences (even though the Web Summit isn't really a tech conference) would be more expensive than that.

And of course it brings over Rio Ferdinand etc at the punters cost. That's what the ticket is for. Do you expect the speakers to pay for themselves to come over and give a talk?

The WS deserves a lot of criticism but you can hardly moan about the speakers being paid for by those attending.

Haven't several celebrities (Panti Bliss,etc) come out and said they were asked to speak at the WS free of charge?

I'd wonder how many of them are actually paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ken early was "hired" to interview a high ranking guest on their web strategy. He was interviewing Ian Eyre, the MD of Liverpool football club.

So ken was tasked with doing all the things you need to do for an interview, questions, facts, figures and running the interview in front of 1000s who paid in...

He was paid ZERO to do this. so web summit was trying to hire professional people who are skilled in their discipline and pay them nothing, not even a lunch..

Most speakers aren't paid, they're just given the whole "It'll be great publicity for you/your company" talk. WS doesn't even pay for flights or accommodation for a lot of speakers who come from abroad. And those who come of their own accord without the backing of the companies they work for have to pay for it all them selves, and use up their holidays.

But sure it's great publicity for them when they get an extra 50 twitter followers when they leave the stage... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

sully2010 wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by "I had to go for an interview with this bunch of tossers?" And what opinion did you give them?

Sounds like the rant of someone with a failed start up/business. Or more likely someone who really doesn't know what they're talking about.

I certainly know what I am talking about so if you do not know me, please keep your opinions to yourself.

I decided to give up the business because I did not like working for myself. It was also my choose to go back to a full-time job which I am very happy at. As for the interview I went through it as every start up business needs to but their attitude was pretty aggressive for what they were requiring and I told them I was not interested in intending. I was bombarded with calls and emails thereafter for the full-time tickets. Apologies for calling them tossers. It is their business after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

micromary wrote: »
    I certainly know what I am talking about so if you do not know me, please keep your opinions to yourself.

I decided to give up the business because I did not like working for myself. It was also my choose to go back to a full-time job which I am very happy at. As for the interview I went through it as every start up business needs to but their attitude was pretty aggressive for what they were requiring and I told them I was not interested in intending. I was bombarded with calls and emails thereafter for the full-time tickets. Apologies for calling them tossers. It is their business after all!

Isn't that what forums are about, expressing opinions? You chose to go to the interview and you chose to allow them to be "aggressive." You also chose not to unsubscribe to their emails and request for your phone number to be taken off their call list. All you seem to have said is you are not interested in attending. A good salesperson will never stop at that point, especially if they managed to get an interview out of you.

I know people who went through the process of inquiring about attending the WS and choosing not to attend. I don't recall hearing they were aggressive, just the usual irritating sales tactics you see all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

sully2010 wrote: »
    Isn't that what forums are about, expressing opinions? You chose to go to the interview and you chose to allow them to be "aggressive." You also chose not to unsubscribe to their emails and request for your phone number to be taken off their call list. All you seem to have said is you are not interested in attending. A good salesperson will never stop at that point, especially if they managed to get an interview out of you.

I know people who went through the process of inquiring about attending the WS and choosing not to attend. I don't recall hearing they were aggressive, just the usual irritating sales tactics you see all the time.[/QUOTE

Who said I choose to allow them be aggressive? Never said that. How can you unsubscribe from phone calls coming in? Eventually I did bar the number and unsubscribed the emails so do not take this out of context.

As for not attending, maybe I had a bad experience and it just was not for me. Just because you know people who got interviewed Scully does not mean you know everybody so do not take it out of context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

awec wrote: »
    The price of the tickets is fairly standard for that sort of conference. Most tech conferences (even though the Web Summit isn't really a tech conference) would be more expensive than that.

And of course it brings over Rio Ferdinand etc at the punters cost. That's what the ticket is for. Do you expect the speakers to pay for themselves to come over and give a talk?

The WS deserves a lot of criticism but you can hardly moan about the speakers being paid for by those attending.

I thought most people were not hence the outrage and calls of scam from some media outlets.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Most speakers aren't paid, they're just given the whole "It'll be great publicity for you/your company" talk. WS doesn't even pay for flights or accommodation for a lot of speakers who come from abroad. And those who come of their own accord without the backing of the companies they work for have to pay for it all them selves, and use up their holidays.

But sure it's great publicity for them when they get an extra 50 twitter followers when they leave the stage... :rolleyes:

I've spoken at many events of this type (never web summit though) and never been paid beyond a 'speaker' pass, a thank you and a bottle of something. Which half the time you can't take back on the plane.

I imagine that in some cases high profile people are offered money and better hospitality but in most cases you are with a company which wants to promote something or at the least get noticed (or you want to get noticed yourself)

Not defending the Web Summit - I don't rate it as an event - just saying that's how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

What exactly has he done to be a D4 stereotype?

Did you miss the part where I said I'm not sure it applies to Paddy Cosgrave?
    Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Though I'm not sure it's accurate to describe PC.

I was simply pointing out that poster that the D4 thing is often more a behaviour, affecting an accent etc, rather than growing up in Dublin 4, as many people who grew up there will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/an-apology-to-web-summits-cosgrave-for-our-begrudgery-34185052.html
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/an-apology-to-web-summits-cosgrave-for-our-begrudgery-34185052.html

Irish Independent
    10/11/2015

I am writing to apologise for our behaviour as brothers and sisters to Web Summit co-founder Paddy Cosgrave during the week of his big event. I thought that we had all promised each other that we wouldn't repeat our poor behaviour of the 1980s, when we begrudged anyone who succeeded in their goals.

Paddy was simply organising a big party and invited many guests from around the world and just wanted them all to have a good time. And he was naturally hoping that his brothers and sisters would all behave themselves while his guests were here.

But, instead, we all tried to publicly humiliate him in front of all his guests every day until they all went back to their homes, and we embarrassed ourselves on this occasion.

I don't think we actually know how much damage we have done to the brand and concept that Paddy spent years putting his neck out there to build - and just when it came true for him, his big brothers and sisters came in and tried to destroy it for him.

I don't think people get what the Web Summit is about, and these are probably the same people who don't understand that the difference between a recession and a boom is simply a positive attitude. And the Web Summit fosters enormous positive attitudes amongst all the young people who partake in it.

I have been to both the Web Summit this week and the Surf Summit, and once again I was impressed with the level of detail Paddy went to to ensure that everyone who travelled from so far was given the best treatment possible, right down to the quality of the food that he organised from quality Irish food providers.

After the great week that we had, it seems to me to be a good idea to try to host the next event in Portugal.

It is similar to Dublin in that it has a lot to offer for the world to see and will give the event a new angle, and it will be great for Portugal to experience the positive energy that this event creates. Maybe Paddy could bring the event to other cities around Europe that want and could use this positive energy.

I would like to congratulate Paddy on what he has achieved. People don't understand that the only way to achieve the vision that he had required a personality of someone who puts their neck out there. So Paddy shouldn't have to apologise for being who he is and he should just continue to aim for the stars and we should all start backing him again all the way.

Paul Montwill
    CEO, Magico

Why should the country as a whole be backing a wealthy business man all the way as he "aims for the stars".Surely he can get by on his own now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good to see the back of this. The success has obviously got to the CEO, doesn't come across as most likeable character

Why should the country as a whole be backing a wealthy business man all the way as he "aims for the stars".Surely he can get by on his own now?

Hard to believe that a CEO actually wrote that drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I thought I was reading a parody, then realised he was being serious! What a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CEO of what though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I thought I was reading a parody, then realised he was being serious! What a clown.

My favourite line is
    I don't think people get what the Web Summit is about, and these are probably the same people who don't understand that the difference between a recession and a boom is simply a positive attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm trying to find a way in which Paul Montwill is an anagram of Paddy Cosgrave.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    CEO of what though :D

http://www.magico.com/
    My favourite line is

I liked: "Paddy was simply organising a big party and invited many guests from around the world and just wanted them all to have a good time."

Oh yea, a big party.... That Paddy wanted everyone else to organise and pay for!

Also, what's with all the 'brothers and sisters' crap? Sounds like it was written by a free mason.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I'm after reading that three times and I still can't tell if he's serious or taking the piss!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

stmol32 wrote: »
    I'm after reading that three times and I still can't tell if he's serious or taking the piss!
    He's seriously taking the piss! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A load of delusional drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I liked: "Paddy was simply organising a big party and invited many guests from around the world and just wanted them all to have a good time."

Oh yea, a big party.... That Paddy wanted everyone else to organise and pay for!

Also, what's with all the 'brothers and sisters' crap? Sounds like it was written by a free mason.

Hipsters..... that is all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Or an evangelist preacher!

• Advertisement

I don't think people get what the Web Summit is about, and these are probably the same people who don't understand that the difference between a recession and a boom is simply a positive attitude.

What does this even mean?

What an overall woolly letter.

I don't know. But I'm guessing if your house is being repossessed and you can barely afford to feed your family, all you have to do is smile and it'll all become better instantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I presume its a bit like the Bertie quote about the recession.

'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something,' he said.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0704/90808-economy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It means that the reason all those people lost their jobs and their houses in the so called 'recession' is because they weren't positive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Clever guy, making a fortune out of selling dreams to aspiring start ups via viral marketing.

It's a good short term business plan if you are prepared to leave your soul at the door on the way in, I would assume it has a short enough shelf life when word gets around about the limited value in attending.

• Advertisement

It means that the reason all those people lost their jobs and their houses in the so called 'recession' is because they weren't positive enough.

Of course! Those silly people. :pac:

1st email from the in today:
    WS wrote:
    Join us in Lisbon
    Web Summit is moving to Lisbon for 2016.
    Next Thursday, November 19, we’re releasing a limited number of 2-for-1 tickets for Web Summit 2016.
    Want to get one? No need to fill out any forms, just click below.
    CLICK ONCE TO GET YOUR CODE [link removed]

Invite a female entrepreneur as your guest?
    As part of our commitment to help change the ratio in the tech industry, we’re inviting 10,000 female entrepreneurs to attend Web Summit 2016 as our guests.
    More than 5,500 female entrepreneurs have been invited in our first week. You can help change the ratio by sending a free ticket to an incredible female entrepreneur of your choice
    SEND A FREE TICKET [link removed]

What interested me most in the mail was the following:
    WS wrote:
    No longer want to receive these mails? Unsubscribe here to change your email preferences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This story really is the gift that keeps on giving.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/lisbon-s-political-swing-left-hits-web-summit-strategy-1.2426053

Cant wait to see how this one shakes out :D:D:D

Looks like it's gone tits up for 2016 only a week after they closed up for 2015. Can't wait for Paddy to release the Portuguese government emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The utter corporate-speak bullsh!t on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Being a CEO doesn't exempt someone from having flawed judgement ;)

The Portuguese government will be accused of using the Web Summit as a distraction and that in the space of a week alone, it had grown too big for Lisbon.
    In soon to be released emails, the Portuguese people will see why their government rejected requests for help from Summit leader Paddy Cosgrave. The emails go on to say how Cosgrave that hosting the event in Lisbon was an absolute preference but the Portuguese government were unwilling to help. If the current difficulties continue, it is expected that the event will be relocated to Lagos, Nigeria.
    "It's not about the money" Cosgrave is reported to have said laughingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Birneybau wrote: »
    The utter corporate-speak bullsh!t on that site.

TO be honest, I've never worked in a corporate environment where anyone would speak that way. I think it's painful attempt at sounding right on and cool.

I'd think I'd nearly rather have the dreaded corporate speak than this faux brothers and sisters of the revolution bull****.

kbannon wrote: »
    The Portuguese government will be accused of using the Web Summit as a distraction and that in the space of a week alone, it had grown too big for Lisbon.
    In soon to be released emails, the Portuguese people will see why their government rejected requests for help from Summit leader Paddy Cosgrave. The emails go on to say how Cosgrave that hosting the event in Lisbon was an absolute preference but the Portuguese government were unwilling to help. If the current difficulties continue, it is expected that the event will be relocated to Lagos, Nigeria.
    "It's not about the money" Cosgrave is reported to have said laughingly.

The next phase in Paddy's one man crusade to accept hush money from governments to coverup issues regarding homelessness has firmly clicked into place.

That article is waffly. I'd say the event will go ahead just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

What does Karlin Lillington bring to the table? It seems to me that she has her job on the strength of being from palo alto. It may be that she is a strong technologist but I don't recall seeing evidence of it.

I'd like a tech journalist who knows something about technology instead of just knowing people who work in technology. Of course I may be doing Karlin Lillington a disservice. It may be that this sort of tech gossip is all people want and she is in fact a lady who knows her frameworks from her framerates and her Cocoa from her Java.

I'd love to be corrected on the above.

I really don't think so. Literally everything, including the €1.3m was offered by a government which no longer exists. It can all be retracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I really don't think so. Literally everything, including the €1.3m was offered by a government which no longer exists. It can all be retracted.

Not when a contract was signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Very waffly.
    It's not like it's 1.3bn. In the grand scheme of things a €1.3m investment in infrastructure is peanuts. You'd hardly get a mile of new road for that.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Not when a contract was signed.

They signed a contract with a party that does not have the power to execute it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Didn't Paddy Cosgrave say he only employed fellow TCD grads? Knobhead, no loss, that added a quarter hour to my commute. The price they charged for snacks and water in there was eye watering. Someone can pay a grand admission in Portugal and maybe get some golf.

They signed a contract with a party that does not have the power to execute it.

The government is the legal entity that the contract would have been bound to. If you were able to simply re-elect another party in order to get out a contractual agreement nobody in their right mind would ever do business with any governments.

Didn't Paddy Cosgrave say he only employed fellow TCD grads? Knobhead, no loss, that added a quarter hour to my commute. The price they charged for snacks and water in there was eye watering. Someone can pay a grand admission in Portugal and maybe get some golf.

He said they hire people from other colleges if they have a 1:1, whereas a 2:1 would suffice from Trinity.

Didn't Paddy Cosgrave say he only employed fellow TCD grads?

No, he didn't.

• Advertisement

Sheeps wrote: »
    The government is the legal entity that the contract would have been bound to. If you were able to simply re-elect another party in order to get out a contractual agreement nobody in their right mind would ever do business with any governments.
    Contracts are always renegotiable.

Advertisement