Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sheeps wrote: »
    No, he didn't.

He said he'd only recruit graduates with a 2.1 from TCD or a first class honours degree from the six other universities.

For their internship programme.

Fair play, it's good to maintain a high standard for the people you're going to have working for you for free…

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/is-a-trinity-degree-worth-more-tech-entrepreneur-hits-a-nerve-1.1788438

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I knew he had made that statement, what I didn't know is that he's a board member of The Higher Education Authority
    The Higher Education Authority has distanced itself from a suggestion by board member Paddy Cosgrave that a degree from Trinity College Dublin has more value than an equivalent qualification from other Irish universities.

Mother of god, he just seems to have a knack to damaging a business' reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He said he'd only recruit graduates with a 2.1 from TCD or a first class honours degree from the six other universities.

For their internship programme.

Fair play, it's good to maintain a high standard for the people you're going to have working for you for free…

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/is-a-trinity-degree-worth-more-tech-entrepreneur-hits-a-nerve-1.1788438

The standard of candidate and their level of degree does not really correlate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

smash wrote: »
    They signed a contract with a party that does not have the power to execute it.

You have evidence it was a contract they signed?

awec wrote: »

Doesn't seem to bother Mr. Cosgrave. Sure he won't be paying them anyway…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

gandalf wrote: »

As someone mentioned before he mentioned that he would only hire trinity graduates with a 2.1 where as other universities he would hire only with a 1:1.

I'm not denying that Paddy is a grade A arsehole, but he did not say that he only hires from trinity. People have a hard on for bashing him, with the wrong facts. If you're going to bash him bash him based on the actual facts.

awec wrote: »

Edit: Actually, after looking it up, it seems that the interns are paid the princely sum of €15,000 a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Edit: Actually, after looking it up, it seems that the interns are paid the princely sum of €15,000 a year!

And that's after their managers are fired and the interns get hired as replacements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

VinLieger wrote: »
    You have evidence it was a contract they signed?

I'm assuming they signed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

gandalf wrote: »

That says they hire people from all colleges depending on grades. Dislike the guy but people are wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Smertulitanus

this year its lisbon and offering a discount on 2nd ticket but no free trip to it, so 800€ for icket, + 400€ 2nd and 500 € to stay forget it no average joe can afford that ticket price, hey cut down price to €40 a ticket for the weekend and i mite consider to go

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KungFuhrer

Eh, I got offered a free ticket simply for being a girl. As if that's going to fix anything, it's degrading. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

KungFuhrer wrote: »
    Eh, I got offered a free ticket simply for being a girl. As if that's going to fix anything, it's degrading. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'll take your place. Always thought I'd look good in a dress.

I'll take your place. Always thought I'd look good in a dress.

Don't forget the extra padding on all the right places :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Don't forget the extra padding on all the right places :D

I'm sure I could pull the strut off and work the hips. Chicken fillets for the other places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

this year its lisbon and offering a discount on 2nd ticket but no free trip to it, so 800€ for icket, + 400€ 2nd and 500 € to stay forget it no average joe can afford that ticket price, hey cut down price to €40 a ticket for the weekend and i mite consider to go

Look what ad popped up just now...book quickly lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Take that down NOW Chipping Sod!! I'm gonna get them and flog em on 'seatwave' :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I heard the onews the radio the other day that he and his missus had a baby. They need more money for nappies now!

• Advertisement

I'm just back from a few days in Lisbon.
    I saw absolutely nothing to show that this important event is being held there soon.
    The staff at reception in my hotel weren't aware of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kbannon wrote: »
    I'm just back from a few days in Lisbon.
    I saw absolutely nothing to show that this important event is being held there soon.
    The staff at reception in my hotel weren't aware of the event.

I'm not usually the begrudging sort especially where tech innovation is involved but I hope this summit dies on its arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm not usually the begrudging sort especially where tech innovation is involved but I hope this summit dies on its arse.
    Yeah can definitely see some schadenfreude taking place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rumours that it is severely struggling to meet targets for this year. We'll see.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Rumours that it is severely struggling to meet targets for this year. We'll see.

So will this be the Irish government's fault or the Portuguese government's fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That would explain the sheer number of emails they are sending out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It'd be a prize target for ISIS , it'd disrupt stuff no end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

kbannon wrote: »
    So will this be the Irish government's fault or the Portuguese government's fault?

Well, we all know it won't be Paddys fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm not usually the begrudging sort ...
    Yeah sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v33cxzPcps&feature=youtu.be&t=26

Let's all hope that this is great for Portugal and for Ireland and for tech, remember Paddy = Tech = Transhuman Singularity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Yeah sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v33cxzPcps&feature=youtu.be&t=26

Let's all hope that this is great for Portugal and for Ireland and for tech, remember Paddy = Tech = Transhuman Singularity

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

So this starts on Monday.

Hotel prices in Lisbon have tripled for the event.

Ticket prices have stayed the same and some costing €4,700.

The only thing I remember from this event last year was what €20 of food got you and Sharon Ni Bheolains' interview of Daire Hickey. Did they get too big for the boots? I haven't heard a thing about it and this thread seems a lot quieter than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tinpib

Very curious to see what the WiFi situation is like.

tinpib wrote: »

Oh yeah I forgot that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Depends on how much they skimp on it this year.

PARlance wrote: »
    Depends on how much they skimp on it this year.

Surly the Portuguese government have it all sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

So this starts on Monday.

Hotel prices in Lisbon have tripled for the event.

Ticket prices have stayed the same and some costing €4,700.

The only thing I remember from this event last year was what €20 of food got you and Sharon Ni Bheolains' interview of Daire Hickey. Did they get too big for the boots? I haven't heard a thing about it and this thread seems a lot quieter than last year.
    You haven't heard anything because it's touted by touted by a bunch of self aggrandising no marks

You haven't heard anything because it's touted by touted by a bunch of self aggrandising no marks

The only reason I remembered was because that interview with Daire Hicky came up after youtube hopping.

Just curious to see how it's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Play from 4:26 from the bit about hotel price.

Wont play just says an error occurred?

Working now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Wont play just says an error occurred?

Yeah trying to fix it is the bit when he goes emo an pulls the mic on the news. YT play from here spazing.

• Advertisement

Yeah trying to fix it is the bit when he goes emo an pulls the mic on the news. YT play from here spazing.

I think he wanted the ground to open up, Sharon really grilled him, Best line ever "we wish you well"

Regarding hotel prices:
    The night of 9 to 10 November is the most expensive and one double room can reach on average 203 euros per night
    In the week before the event there is an increase in the average price of 68% (from 118 to 198 euros) and the following week, a decrease of 48% (from 198 to 102 euros)

http://observador.pt/2016/11/03/web-summit-faz-precos-de-hotel-em-lisboa-dispararem/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What, you mean Paddy can't actually influence a basic rule of economics like he claimed he could?

I, for one , am shocked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

WiFehFehFehFehFehFehFeh WiFehFehFehFehFehFehFeh WiFehFehFehFehFehFeh Chriis Waddle

On the other hand...
    Specifically, the Web Summit expects 53,056 people with general entries that have access to the four-day event (07-10 Nov), double the entries recorded in the Dublin event last year.

Apart from these general entries are still expected 19,000 young people who have day tickets to the main stage.

In total, the Web Summit expected to participate about 72 thousand people between entrepreneurs, startups, top investors and international journalists, since this Saturday began arriving in Lisbon for what is considered the largest global conference technology.

http://observador.pt/2016/11/05/esgotaram-os-bilhetes-para-a-web-summit/

Let's see how transports and wi-fi cope, because the hotel prices didn't improve much from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

On the other hand...

http://observador.pt/2016/11/05/esgotaram-os-bilhetes-para-a-web-summit/

Let's see how transports and wi-fi cope, because the hotel prices didn't improve much from last year.

lol not even the largest technology conference in europe, CeBIT dwarfs it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've a small art gallery in South Dublin city, last week was by far the best 1st week in November in 8 years but particularly in the last 3 years when the Summit would be in town. From my own experience (and lots of other traders I know) the Summit visitors took up hotel spaces that on the whole wouldn't spend a lot in the SME market.

And the pubs aren't full of people that shouldn't be allowed in pubs too.

As a business owner that sells to a transient crowd I'm happy to see it in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

What, you mean Paddy can't actually influence a basic rule of economics like he claimed he could?

I, for one , am shocked :rolleyes:

Paddy is so far up his own hole he probably thinks he can influence the laws of space and time. Economics ain't nothing to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Paddy is so far up his own hole he probably thinks he can influence the laws of space and time. Economics ain't nothing to him.

Did he not study the dismal science in Trinners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

humberklog wrote: »
    I've a small art gallery in South Dublin city, last week was by far the best 1st week in November in 8 years but particularly in the last 3 years when the Summit would be in town. From my own experience (and lots of other traders I know) the Summit visitors took up hotel spaces that on the whole wouldn't spend a lot in the SME market.

And the pubs aren't full of people that shouldn't be allowed in pubs too.

As a business owner that sells to a transient crowd I'm happy to see it in another country.
    I'm confused. Are you saying Websummit was good or bad for your business (mentioning the best November week ever)? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement