Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bonavox wrote: »
    Different conference. Web Summit is still Lisbon, this is MoneyConf.

Wtf is money Conf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wtf is money Conf?

Think it's another conference on fintech. There's a few conferences operating under the Web Summit umbrella these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Paddy and his Circus are coming back. Wonder what happened in Lisbon?
    Nothing happened in Lisbon, and nothing happens in Lisbon which is why Paddy is coming back to Dublin with his tail between his legs.

But he couldn't come back with the Web Summit - that would be a humiliating climbdown. Instead, he makes up a new conference, hoping that he'll get as much free media and unpaid volunteers as he got for the first one.

Do I not welcome conferences and the spend they bring coming to Ireland? Course I do.

Isn't this just typical Irish begrudgery against a "successful entrepreneur" then? Emm ... no. I don't have anything against successful entrepreneurs of any nationality, but Paddy revealed himself to be a knob with his petulant childish rattle-throwing. The fúckin eejit even thought that releasing his "demands" to the media would make him look good!

Gobsh1te.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

serfboard wrote: »
    Nothing happened in Lisbon, and nothing happens in Lisbon which is why Paddy is coming back to Dublin with his tail between his legs.

But he couldn't come back with the Web Summit - that would be a humiliating climbdown. Instead, he makes up a new conference, hoping that he'll get as much free media and unpaid volunteers as he got for the first one.

Do I not welcome conferences and the spend they bring coming to Ireland? Course I do.

Isn't this just typical Irish begrudgery against a "successful entrepreneur" then? Emm ... no. I don't have anything against successful entrepreneurs of any nationality, but Paddy revealed himself to be a knob with his petulant childish rattle-throwing. The fúckin eejit even thought that releasing his "demands" to the media would make him look good!

Gobsh1te.

Moneyconf isn't new as such, they've been running it a few years now. I don't think it's ever been in Lisbon either. It's been in Belfast and Madrid before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Got an email this morning that their platinum tickets for the web summit are increasing from an exceptionally hefty ?4950 to ?24,995

Who is paying this money

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kbannon wrote: »

it must be, i went to the first ones as a freebie but i wouldnt be paying for it and certainly not 25K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I see Paddy is planning to launch himself as an anti corruption messiah next week.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

I see Paddy is planning to launch himself as an anti corruption messiah next week.

He probably dreams about being the leader of some Macronite movement for the next GE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

What's this now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Murrisk wrote: »
    What's this now?

He is having a press launch on Thursday about how corrupt Ireland is and how he is Irelands Julian Assange in the Shelbourne (I dont think he sees any irony in harping on about a golden circle and hosting a meeting where many of Irelands elite would frequent)

https://www.collegetimes.com/news/irish-corruption-142619

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

He is having a press launch on Thursday about how corrupt Ireland is and how he is Irelands Julian Assange in the Shelbourne (I dont think he sees any irony in harping on about a golden circle and hosting a meeting where many of Irelands elite would frequent)

https://www.collegetimes.com/news/irish-corruption-142619

Why do no marks like this think that any of us take them seriously or are even listening to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

The charlatan has launched a new con.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

He's welcome back here of course.

Michael D. must be photographed kicking him up the a*se tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Web Summit starts today in Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

tinpib wrote: »
    Web Summit starts today in Lisbon.

Twas only opening night tonight, very limited tickets available. Better than last year though where they left people queued outside for hours because it was overbooked. The real show starts tomorrow. Any boardsies headed over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So where is this web summit, is it at the top of Everest?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Twas only opening night tonight, very limited tickets available. Better than last year though where they left people queued outside for hours because it was overbooked. The real show starts tomorrow. Any boardsies headed over?

What kind of job****e goes to these things. I work in the web industry and I see zero value in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

doylefe wrote: »
    What kind of job****e goes to these things. I work in the web industry and I see zero value in it.

Aren't they just jollies at the companies expense?

doylefe wrote: »

Eh, it's a paid week off work in a city where it's currently 21 degrees? I mean, I wouldn't pay to come here on my own dime like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

(Originally posted two years ago in October 2015 as part of a hotly disputed discussion on the level of Irish government funding for the Web Summit while it was in Dublin)
    Weckler's line, and the one strongly implied by Hickey's denouncement of "wildly inaccurate, pathetic journalism and government spin" is that the government is being disingenuous by saying that the amount of money spent by Enterprise Ireland and IDA on the Web summit was "funding" and that what the state bodies were actually doing was buying stand space to promote their businesses like any normal client of the event.

Well OK. By that logic, then surely IDA and EI will invest a similar amount of money in the Portugese Web Summit as they have annually in the Dublin event. If it's a hard-nosed, business-led self interested investment in promoting their message and expertise the audience is all that matters, not the venue. Right?

Which is closer to the truth? We'll know when the FOI requests for how much IDA and EI spent on the Lisbon event are made and replied to.

Let's keep an open mind. ;)

Well OK then. Portugal's Web Summit is upon us. Is there anybody there who can alert us to the size of the paid presence, in terms of stand acreage and display advertising, that Irish Government agencies have invested in this event? You know: Enterprise Ireland, IDA, etc etc

Basically, as a follow on from some of the controversies of two years ago, it would be interesting to see whether our government is supporting this event as a valuable "route to market" event that it considers worthwhile to support as part of its own strategic communications effort, or whether such events are only worthy of support if they are held in Ireland.

Anybody there to do a bit of stand counting?

So far I've seen a load of enterprise stands - Poland, UK, Lithuania, Germany, France, Spain, Qatar, Portugal... Nothing from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So where is this web summit, is it at the top of Everest?

Lesbon, some island off greece.

Adrian Weckler reckons it's doing well over there...
    https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/web-summit/adrian-weckler-why-the-web-summit-is-never-returning-to-dublin-36300731.html

I think it was him also on Matt Cooper yesterday singing praises for the WS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Bit odd that he claims it's super busy, when the photo shows a tiny crowd.

Having said that, Weckler is a nob, probably talking through his hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/web-summit/adrian-weckler-why-the-web-summit-is-never-returning-to-dublin-36300731.html

Weckler is a devoted worshiper to the cult of cosgrave, all of his articles over the years on the web summit contain spin directly from paddy's mouthpieces if you know what to look for.

A prime example is he's always pushed the lie that it was the hotels charging an arm and a leg for the Dublin shows, while they did markup as they would for any large event, the majority was actually paddy himself booking the hotels at a bulk discount and then selling them on to attendees at a massive markup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it was funny to hear Weckler singing the praises for Web Summit about the event layout, flow of people, WiFi, price and quality of the food, etc etc, as if it was Ireland's fault that these things were so poor in Dublin.

Web Summit rent a space, and then all of the organisation details are up to them. If the event is too busy, if it's hard to move around, if the WiFi is poor, if the food is poor, then that's 100% down to a failure of the event organiser, not on the venue or the city where it's held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think he was pretty defensive of it when it had all the issues over here, he was defending it heroically on radio despite the evidence against it from what I can remember.

edit: yes, his sycophancy didn't go unnoticed 2 years ago
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97605744&postcount=734
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97605555&postcount=731
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97603912&postcount=721
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97609330&postcount=829

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So far I've seen a load of enterprise stands - Poland, UK, Lithuania, Germany, France, Spain, Qatar, Portugal... Nothing from Ireland.

Do Appleby have a stand :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Adrian Weckler is a gimp - consumer gadgets and smart phones is the extent of his technical insight.

Spoofer.

Looks like Paddy stepped in it again by not respecting portugals national heroes.

http://www.thejournal.ie/web-summit-national-pantheon-dinner-3695517-Nov2017/

He claims that the reason he did it is due to how irish culture is different to portugese and how we celebrate our dead......

Personally i'm really looking forward to the next business dinner event he is going to host beside the 1916 commemoration wall in glasnevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

his ego is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is this guy like yer man that run's "lovin dublin"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Odhinn wrote: »
    Is this guy like yer man that run's "lovin dublin"?

Two chips from the same solid block of absolute ****

WWN on point as always

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/11/15/ireland-stops-answering-phones-as-portugal-tries-to-give-web-summit-back/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article
    Head of the Web Summit, Paddy Cosgrove, was quick to apologise for his error of judgement by pointing out Irish people always host dinner and drinks by the graveside of sacred sites.
    “It’s also an Irish tradition to tell chancers to sod off,” observed one member of the public, who once paid €8 for some chips at the Web Summit when it was held in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Apparently Paddy has booked Glasnevin Cemetery for the Web Summits Xmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

VinLieger wrote: »
    Looks like Paddy stepped in it again by not respecting portugals national heroes.

http://www.thejournal.ie/web-summit-national-pantheon-dinner-3695517-Nov2017/

He claims that the reason he did it is due to how irish culture is different to portugese and how we celebrate our dead......

Personally i'm really looking forward to the next business dinner event he is going to host beside the 1916 commemoration wall in glasnevin

:D:D

Love the 'I'm Irish...' bit also

For a second I thought he was going to make some sort of thick Paddy joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What's the hell is a web summit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Every year that passes, it seems increasingly like getting rid of Web Summit was one of the best things that Enda Kenny accidentally achieved:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/lisbon-web-summit-marine-le-pen-4181551-Aug2018/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

AllForIt wrote: »
    What's the hell is a web summit?

Meeting of spiders to see which one pissed me off the most by living in my house ??

I dunno!

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Every year that passes, it seems increasingly like getting rid of Web Summit was one of the best things that Enda Kenny accidentally achieved:

God his arrogance is just insufferable, ill bet hes envisioning some kind of never before seen meeting and agreeing of the left and right at his event and then he will henceforth be known worldwide as "paddy the peace maker"

It sounds far fetched but if you know anything of the man-child its not far off how he thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

MJohnston wrote: »
    Paddy is chasing that publicity.

Paddy Cosgrave withdraws Web Summit invitation to Marine Le Pen having earlier defended it
    Web Summit founder Paddy Cosgrave has rescinded an invitation to far right politician Marine Le Pen to this year’s conference.

In a series of tweets, Mr Cosgrave said that “based on advice we have received on the large reaction online overnight, her presence is disrespectful in particular to our host country.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/paddy-cosgrave-withdraws-web-summit-invitation-to-marine-le-pen-having-earlier-defended-it-1.3597005

Fvcking hilarious hes already withdrawn it

Advertisement