Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Summit quits Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Stilk doesnt look good trying to host a web event with ****ty broadband at the location

Was up to him to pay for decent wifi. He was being a cheapskate and took the cheapest option, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sheeps wrote: »
    That's incorrect. The cheapest option was BT which was free because they wanted to advertise at the summit, and was not allowed by the RDS because they wanted to sell him the infrastructure they had in place. They were left with no option other than the built in infrastructure which was not up to standard.

You have your facts wrong.

Partially maybe but he still went for the cheapest package the RDS offered him though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I noticed sponsored ads from them on facebook asking people to read the emails between them and government. Seems pretty desperate. They were also getting lacerated on the comments section on an article on tech.eu. some guy just spamming responses in support of them. Looked pretty desperate also.

Felt so sorry for some of those start-ups who were really exploited.
    Their original delight at 'winning' a 'free' place to the Summit, only to be subsequently told that they would have to pay €2000 to enter, followed by the pressure to have it paid within a few days or the price would go up! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

PARlance wrote: »
    but they were also here for the craic and the p*ss ups... that won't be the same elsewhere

Yes, Ireland is the only country in the world where craic happens. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Most recreational drugs are legal in Portugal, the weather is great, the surfing is nearly as good and Lisbon in amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Yes, Ireland is the only country in the world where craic happens. :pac:

We just do it better than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Most recreational drugs are legal in Portugal, the weather is great, the surfing is nearly as good and Lisbon in amazing.

Lisbon is fantastic but what does Paddy know about its genius loci apart from its favourable contract terms? As an outsider he'll certainly be able to run a large, successful, enjoyable... and much more generic tech event. Their Expo area has fantastic amenities, I happen to know it, but it's all built in the 90s and quite far out - up until recently it was the last stop of that underground line. It will take you longer to travel back to Baixa or Alfama that it would to even walk back to Dublin's centre.

They want to grow and they will grow but another event in Dublin would still make sense. We take Dublin for granted but the attendees enjoyed it although maybe not for so many years in a row, which is likely to be another reason for them moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

We just do it better than most.

Well, if what you want is loads of drinking then maybe. And even then, I wouldn't be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Sheeps wrote: »
    That's incorrect. The cheapest option was BT which was free because they wanted to advertise at the summit, and was not allowed by the RDS because they wanted to sell him the infrastructure they had in place. They were left with no option other than the built in infrastructure which was not up to standard.

You have your facts wrong.

The RDS has fantastic WiFI infrastructure, with the ability to offer up to 10Ghz of bandwidth. When you book the venue you get a basic level of WiFi if you want more you have to pay.

The RDS won't allow 3rd party providers as it is a multi user venue, that is pretty standard for most big conference venues. Too many WiFi systems on site can cause headaches. Plus they don't want contractors damaging the building installing cables, routers and antennas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

grundie wrote:
    The RDS has fantastic WiFI infrastructure, with the ability to offer up to 10Ghz of bandwidth. When you book the venue you get a basic level of WiFi if you want more you have to pay.

10Ghz of bandwidth? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Were helicopters for people to the Galway races also asked for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

markpb wrote: »
    10Ghz of bandwidth? :-)

My bad. If it was 10Ghz they'd be cooking the guests.

10Gb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sheepy, sheepy , sheepy

Speaking of facts, do you know who provided the WiFi infrastructure at the event?

Do you know what design decision was imposed on them by the websummit which was convienantly forgotten by paddy when he was lambasting all and sundry?

I mean you sound like you have the facts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Well, if what you want is loads of drinking then maybe. And even then, I wouldn't be convinced.

Its ****, Irish people are boring as ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm going to predict that by Yr 3 it will be a shadow of the event it is now.
    Many of the attendees were here on jollies from bigger companies, they were over here for a fairly new and exciting event (that may lack substance), but they were also here for the craic and the p*ss ups... that won't be the same elsewhere, and when the novelty runs out it'll crash fairly quickly.

Something that Paddy hasn't factored in, is that Dublin hosts EU headquarters for the majority of the largest tech multinationals. These companies always had no problem sending a few staff members, but next year will the do it again given the huge extra costs that will be associated with travel and accommodation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The Web Summit doesn't seem to be a very technical conference. It doesn't seem like something one would go to learn. To me as an outsider who has never been to it, just looking at the list of the speakers and topics. It came across as a circle jerk.

Something like that will have limited appeal. Easily replaced by the next flavor of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bambi wrote: »
    Sheepy, sheepy , sheepy

Speaking of facts, do you know who provided the WiFi infrastructure at the event?

Do you know what design decision was imposed on them by the websummit which was convienantly forgotten by paddy when he was lambasting all and sundry?

I mean you sound like you have the facts

Notice how they have now conveniently avoided replying when faced with the real facts

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The Web Summit doesn't seem to be a very technical conference. It doesn't seem like something one would go to learn. To me as an outsider who has never been to it, just looking at the list of the speakers and topics. It came across as a circle jerk.

Something like that will have limited appeal. Easily replaced by the next flavor of the month.

It's not about learning, it's about startups meeting investors and vice versa - networking. And inspiration to keep them going with all those motivational speakers on board. WS was initially able to pull in some strong names relative to its small size, hence its success as this facilitated some good networking. And it could have been that the perceived quirk and fun of Dublin was helpful in getting those names behind a smaller setup like WS because such events are not exactly unique. Scaling this up in a competitive market worldwide will be their next challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

garrixfan wrote: »
    Its ****, Irish people are boring as ****

Could you get a bigger bucket of tar and a bigger brush there pal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Just remember to use the same brush for all us Irish once you've started garrixfan..

So what was the story with the whiffy?

Whiffy failed in 2013 and Web Summit got someone (not sure who) to do a first rate whiffy for free
    RDS said no free whiffy we make a margin
    Web summit could then have said - we'll give you the margin but didn't
    web summit went with RDS whiffy but chose cheapest option

Is the bolded bit correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

mhge wrote: »
    hence its success as this facilitated some good networking.
    Was it good? Define 'good' networking?

Generally wanted and enjoyed by many of the attendees of the conference. Most attendees are guys on a jolly and the Dublin pub scene plays a big part of it, in fact it is part of the Summit with the Night Summits or whatever term they use to describe the organised p*ss ups.

If you're not convinced already, I will hardly change that but Dublin is fairly well known for being a handy place to find a pub or two.

smash wrote: »
    Something that Paddy hasn't factored in, is that Dublin hosts EU headquarters for the majority of the largest tech multinationals. These companies always had no problem sending a few staff members, but next year will the do it again given the huge extra costs that will be associated with travel and accommodation?

I don't think "casual" local attendees will be half as plentiful as they were here. As you say, the pool is smaller and I'm not quite sure the Portuguese will stomach the €1,000 cost for a few TED talks. Money goes a lot further over there, so while it was seen as pricey over here, it will probably be seen as disgustingly excessive over there.

Guys please will someone please lay out what happened with the whiffy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Guys please will someone please lay out what happened with the whiffy?

http://keenlykristin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/wifi-not-working.jpg

The article in the Journal is interesting: http://www.thejournal.ie/web-summit-e-mails-2390609-Oct2015/

Key dates:
    Friday August 21 2015 Cosgrave outlined to the Taoiseach’s Private Secretary Nick Reddy exactly what was being offered from other cities outside of Ireland.

Monday Aug 24 2015 Cosgrave wrote to Reddy again to point out that he had not received a response.
    Monday Aug 24 2015 Reddy replied saying, “Paddy, have this and the document received on Friday. Will be back to you. Nick.”

Tuesday Sept 01 2015 Cosgrave wrote again to say he had still not received a response.

Tuesday Sept 03 2015 Reddy responded saying he was on a trade mission in France and would get back to him.
    Tuesday Sept 03 2015 Cosgrave wrote again stating, “I realise everyone across Government is very busy but we seem to be able to maintain daily calls with other governments at a ministerial level across Europe, both from large and small nations.”

Thursday Sept 10 2015 Nick Reddy saying that the Taoiseach was “confident a sensible and effective plan” could be prepared for 2016 informed by arrangements for 2015.

Thursday Sept 17 2015 Cosgrave replied by reiterating the need for a plan.

Friday Sept 18 2015 Reddy responded to Cosgrave saying: “Got that and will revert.”

Monday Sept 21 2015 Cosgrave then wrote to the Assistant General Secretary at the Department of the Taoiseach John Callinan explaining his concerns.
    Monday Sept 21 2015 Callinan replied with a draft framework for engagement.

Tuesday Sept 22 2015 Cosgrave replied and described Callinan’s response as “misleading”.

Wednesday Sept 23 Callinan responded to Cosgrave, saying: “By the time you sent me this email I had already been informed of the decision to move to Lisbon and that you would be announcing it with the Deputy PM of Portugal in Lisbon the following morning.”

Then....

He said he spoke to the Taoiseach by phone on Sept 21, adding, “The deal wasn't signed (with Lisbon) until Sept 23.”

The deal was done over the weekend after he sent his first email.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20864203%3A83%3A15%2D10%2D2015%3A

That's an error, the direct quote from RTÉ Radio says September 23rd. (Approx 7mins in)

The journal have typed it wrong.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20864203%3A83%3A15%2D10%2D2015%3A

That's an error, the direct quote from RTÉ Radio says September 23rd. (Approx 7mins in)

The journal have typed it wrong.

I was thinking... But he still clearly showed his intentions by stating outright he was talking to other countries, on a couple of occasions.

He's played a game of smoke and mirrors and passed the blame to Enda and crew in the hopes that he wont receive the backlash himself. There seems to be so many people who think the sun shines out of his arse and that the Web Summit was the biggest thing this country ever had. It's bizarre!

Also, who to believe about the final dates? Callinan states on the 23rd that by the time he received the email on the 22nd he'd already heard that the deal was done.

I was thinking... But he still clearly showed his intentions by stating outright he was talking to other countries, on a couple of occasions.

He's played a game of smoke and mirrors and passed the blame to Enda and crew in the hopes that he wont receive the backlash himself. There seems to be so many people who think the sun shines out of his arse and that the Web Summit was the biggest thing this country ever had. It's bizarre!

I am no supporter of his nor do I like his exploitative tactics.

However it is important not to paint the wrong picture (as the journal has accidentally* done) and which your post based on theirs also suggests.

The timeline is a month out with regards to signing with Lisbon.

• Advertisement

I am no supporter of his nor do I like his exploitative tactics.

However it is important not to paint the wrong picture (as the journal has accidentally* done) and which your post based on theirs also suggests.

The timeline is a month out with regards to signing with Lisbon.
    I've edited my post to correct it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wompa1 wrote: »

It's a business conference, not a tech conference.

It calls itself a tech conference because that's easier to market.

What was the story with the Wifi. Does anyone know the real story.

As far as I'm aware, the story still stands that there's existing infrastructure and he was given a few options and he selected the cheaper one even though he was advised against it. Which leaves a conclusion that what he wanted the government to do with the RDS, is pretty much what he wanted them to do with hotels and force a cheaper rate.

Open to correction...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He gave out publicly about it not being up to standard last year but then is giving out about the cost of getting it up to standard, then wants the govt to fix the problem.

In his own words
    the costs of hotels and wifi in particular have become highly uncompetitive as compared to elsewhere in Europe, and this year have risen more than ever before. Furthermore, the facilities in the RDS require such significant additional build by us that the true costs of the venue are substantially greater than elsewhere in Europe where state of the art facilities are standard.
    Wifi: Finally, the RDS are blocking a simple wifi solution in the RDS. They need to understand that putting up barriers that increase the cost to over €1 million this coming year, when it's free and reliable in other cities, just adds significantly to the pressures forcing us out of Dublin.
    But we don’t want to go to another city. We want to stay in Dublin far into the future. We don't want a penny, we just need even the
    most basic traffic flow management plan and resolution to the wifi situation in the RDS. We can’t make that plan. Only you can.

What does he mean by wifi is free and reliable in other cities? Dublin doesn't have free citywide wifi. Was his expectation that the RDS would upgrade its wifi for his conference?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know what he means, I think he's dug himself into a big hole on the wifi and sounded like he was telling some porkies about it when he was on Matt Cooper last week.

We don't want a penny
    Lies
    we just need even the most basic traffic flow management plan
    He was getting a basic plan, and a whole lot more...
    and resolution to the wifi situation in the RDS.
    He was offered a resolution. It was going to cost 1m but he didn't want to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He was getting a basic plan, and a whole lot more...

Didn't he ask/demand that attendees were given garda escorts at one stage?

That's hardly basic in terms of traffic management!

This is just hilarious at this stage. It's always been apparent that the guy is up his own hole but he's that far up it that he's in orbit at the same time.

What does he mean by wifi is free and reliable in other cities? Dublin doesn't have free citywide wifi. Was his expectation that the RDS would upgrade its wifi for his conference?

He probably meant that other venues like the Lisbon one offer wifi included in their booking costs, or that the cities fund it as part of their bid.

He was not complaining about wifi quality, but its cost - for a solid package he would have to pay more than double, so he went for a basic package and lost that bet.

Now he just wanted someone to fund this solid package for them, like their other asks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

mhge wrote: »
    He probably meant that other venues like the Lisbon one offer wifi included in their booking costs, or that the cities fund it as part of their bid.

He was not complaining about wifi quality, but its cost - for a solid package he would have to pay more than double, so he went for a basic package and lost that bet.

Now he just wanted someone to fund this solid package for them, like their other asks.

So he wanted the tax-payer to fund his business venture?

So he wanted the tax-payer to fund his business venture?

Pretty much, yes (read the list of asks and bid requirements). Apparently other countries' taxpayers are lining up so what do we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The government were largely right in this one (well except perhaps they should have told him to talk to the relevant parties instead). The "asks" were basically a request for corporate welfare imho. If Lisbon are foolish enough to let the tax payers foot the bill for a private venture, then they can have at it.

Didn't he ask/demand that attendees were given garda escorts at one stage?

That's hardly basic in terms of traffic management!

This is just hilarious at this stage. It's always been apparent that the guy is up his own hole but he's that far up it that he's in orbit at the same time.

It goes to show the level of self entitlement when Garda escorts are considered a basic form of traffic control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

My good friend enda opened our cycleway from Mullingar to athlone on Sunday. Happened to be in athlone today and it hasn't just reached there yet. We will wait to reach mayo just yet:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How come no one ever seems to mention that Dublin, like Lisbon, is a small capital city and that we need to compete for events like these?

Like Lisbon is throwing up e100 per conference attendee because the Mayor knows the lowest spend per attendee is approx e1,500 and a lot more for other attendees taking exhibition space at the event, the taxes from which more than cover the initial 100 euro subsidy.

Is this not business sense to pay the 100e subsidy to get lots more in tax? Would people posting here prefer that tax goes to the Portugese govt rather than our own? Lisbons gain is very much our loss on this debacle. Our Govt tells us that they're pro-business but the Portugese Govt backs it up with actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How come no one ever seems to mention that Dublin, like Lisbon, is a small capital city and that we need to compete for events like these?

Like Lisbon is throwing up e100 per conference attendee because the Mayor knows the lowest spend per attendee is approx e1,500 and a lot more for other attendees taking exhibition space at the event, the taxes from which more than cover the initial 100 euro subsidy.

Is this not business sense to pay the 100e subsidy to get lots more in tax? Would people posting here prefer that tax goes to the Portugese govt rather than our own? Lisbons gain is very much our loss on this debacle. Our Govt tells us that they're pro-business but the Portugese Govt backs it up with actions.

Have you seen what he was asking for? Expenditure and interference would cost more than what the tax take would have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Forgetting what paddy was asking for. I have attended. Its really waffle. Ended up talking to a dude from Waterford county council wondering wtf. In terms of filling hotel rooms, that is correct. In terms of filling us with wiseness (is there such a word) give me a rest. Facebook bought a messaging system for (was it) 29 billion. These guys earn money and then prove how hopeless they are. And paddy gives them a stage. Class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

flouncer wrote: »
    My good friend enda opened our cycleway from Mullingar to athlone on Sunday. Happened to be in athlone today and it hasn't just reached there yet. We will wait to reach mayo just yet:-)
    Enda's no ordinary flouncer either

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/kenny-is-confident-fine-gael-can-achieve-success-in-mayo-1.2398074

:rolleyes::)

• Advertisement

You're factoring in the cost of the ticket here, which is money that won't go to the Portuguese government as Web Summit is an Irish company. The revenue from flights wont go to the Portuguese government either. The only revenue they'll make from it is from hotels, public transport and food/drink.

Now Paddy wanted the Irish government to cover the costs of transport in full, and then force hotels to cut their prices. Given these facts, I can't at all see how it could bring in 108m to Ireland, and I can't see it bringing it in for Lisbon either.

Advertisement