Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light to trace mice!

• 23-09-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi Just wondering if there is a light which can trace mice urine. If so where could I get one.
    Think we have mice between the floorboards again. We have this problem every year and cant find where they are entering the house. We realise that they gain entry from very small hole / gap but have entire house checked outside. hate to hear them :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What you're looking for is a UV light sometimes known as a "black light". Search on Amazon or eBay for "pet urine detector" as they're mainly used for detecting where pets, usually cats, are peeing. I don't know how effective they might be for mice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv just bought a small blacklight on amazon for £8.99, I want it for cats though. When it arrives il let you know how effective it is for cat pee. I can't see why it wouldn't work for mice id imagine it's just a lot smaller quantities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I guess it would depend on what exactly it is in the urine that fluoresces and to what degree that's present in mouse urine as opposed to any other.

BTW, a useful looking article here ...

http://www.pet-happy.com/how-to-find-cat-urine-stains-with-a-black-light/

Seems the wavelength of the UV light is an important factor in choosing the right torch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

You'd need a decent black light. We've bought a few over the years that were crap. It's worth investing in a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

You'd need a decent black light. We've bought a few over the years that were crap. It's worth investing in a decent one.

Do you know where I could buy one?

• Advertisement

budget1984 wrote: »
    Do you know where I could buy one?

Your best bet would be somewhere like Amazon and have a look at the reviews. Personally, I found the torch ones aren't too good but they may have improved by now. You need to use them in pitch dark for the best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

Your best bet would be somewhere like Amazon and have a look at the reviews. Personally, I found the torch ones aren't too good but they may have improved by now. You need to use them in pitch dark for the best results.

Thanks a million. Did you use one to trace mice? Just hope this works coz we have tried everything else.

budget1984 wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Did you use one to trace mice? Just hope this works coz we have tried everything else.

No, there was a peeing contest going on with 2 of our cats and we needed to find where it was so we could use a product to kill the enzymes in the urine to get rid of the smell. I think it's the protein in the urine that shows up under black light. I saw one being used in a cat programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I just bought this one from Amazon.

Now scared of what I'll find...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/And-Inspection-Ultraviolet-Flashlight-Vet-Recommended/dp/B00XNW1SSA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Googling, seems that mouse/rodent wee does show up under black light...

Advertisement