Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming an English Teacher

Options
  • 23-09-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but badly need advice on this as I've checked online and can only find the basics.

So I've always been interested in being an English teacher but due to circumstances during and when I left school I went straight into working instead of college.

I didn't do a normal leaving certificate, I did LCA and although I recieved a distinction, it doesn't really give me a lot.

I now want to pursue a career in English secondary school teaching but am literally starting from the start and don't know where to begin.

How do I get into a college? What do I study in college? How many years in total will it take?

I'm 21 so can't avail of the mature student option either.

Any advice is much appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would need to get a degree in English first, ideally with another subject to give yourself a chance of getting employment.

Since you have the LCA, you may have to do a FETAC Level 5 course to access college first, or sit the 'normal' Leaving Cert. to give yourself the best chance of getting on an English degree course.

Then you would have to apply for and be accepted onto a course like the PME (2 years) which is a teacher training qualification.

Please investigate the chances of getting any work before signing up to expensive courses like the PME.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Doing the Leaving Cert and accessing college through the CAO system would be the most straightforward route, you could sign up for adult education to do this. You could wait until you're 23 and then gain entry to 3rd level through the mature access route. Alternatively, doing a level 5 might gain you access to 3rd level and if you did it in a relevant area like Liberal Arts, you'd get a taste if what studying English might be like.

Enquire about adult guidance in your area. I think all ETBs have a service and they're excellent and free. They'll run through all of your options with you.

Bear in mind that you'd need another subject and with a degree there's no guarantee of getting the postgraduate in education and no guarantee of a job if you get it.

Advertisement