Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth train line ignored - what are our ministers doing.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I must remind people asking me about trains in D.15 that its no problem as long as you board them in Maynooth.

This is the D.15 forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

beauf wrote: »
    I must remind people asking me about trains in D.15 that its no problem as long as you board them in Maynooth.

This is the D.15 forum.

Fair enough - I was looking at the Maynooth line as a whole - but frankly you're creating a smokescreen over the fact that you said nothing had changed over 20 years, when in fact it had.

Looking at stopping services, the number of trains are

Morning Peak:
    2005 -v- 1995: 6 -v- 4
    2015 -v- 2005: 18 -v- 6 (6 of which are Docklands)

Evening Peak:
    2005 -v- 1995: 7 -v- 3
    2015 -v- 2005: 16 -v- 7 (7 of which are Docklands)

That's still a large increase in the morning peak service, excluding Docklands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I said it was overcrowded back then and it remains so. Spin that what ever way you like it. Its getting worse too.

Some will say trains are designed to have people standing. But these intercity have almost no handles in the spaces where most people are standing. The Luas obviously has proper standing features.

In the State the population increased by 30 per cent from 1991 to 2011, but by only 9.8 per cent in Dublin
    City. Fingal County Council, by contrast, witnessed a population increase of 78.7 per cent over the
    same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

beauf wrote: »
    So the train at peak isn't really as attractive as it should be.
    Back in 2005 I was on a San Francisco commuter train (CalTrain from Santa Clara to San Francisco). Over the PA they apologised that not everyone could get a seat. I laughed. I never got a seat on Irish Rail - not by a long shot.
    The San Francisco train even had a "quiet carriage" (phone use prohibited) AND it was enforced by the conductor!!

When I got the train, even when very overcrowded, I was able to read a book. A seat would have been great but I was content with the unavoidable situation.

Advertisement