Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this 'Reserve' tick box mean in the Web Based Configurator?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

2MQQVHD.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JamBar123

Hiya,

I can't post a link as I'm new here but here's a quote from a different website:(hint - I googled 'reserve lan device')

"When you specify a reserved IP address for a computer on the LAN, that computer always receives the same IP address each time it accesses the router's DHCP server. Assign reserved IP addresses to computers or servers that require permanent IP settings."

From a different site:

" there are quite a few instances where you end up using the IP address to access a device and if that IP address changes, then you have to reconfigure the device. For example, I have a printer that also scans and will save the file directly to a computer. However, it uses the IP address instead of the name of the machine. Every time the machine reboots, it gets a new IP address and I have to type that new IP into the printer. What a pain!"

So if you want your device to keep the same IP address each time you switch it on then tick that box!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flight From Death

JamBar123 wrote: »
    Hiya,

I can't post a link as I'm new here but here's a quote from a different website:(hint - I googled 'reserve lan device')

"When you specify a reserved IP address for a computer on the LAN, that computer always receives the same IP address each time it accesses the router's DHCP server. Assign reserved IP addresses to computers or servers that require permanent IP settings."

From a different site:

" there are quite a few instances where you end up using the IP address to access a device and if that IP address changes, then you have to reconfigure the device. For example, I have a printer that also scans and will save the file directly to a computer. However, it uses the IP address instead of the name of the machine. Every time the machine reboots, it gets a new IP address and I have to type that new IP into the printer. What a pain!"

So if you want your device to keep the same IP address each time you switch it on then tick that box!
    Cool thanks! I was only just wondering how I could reserve the 192.168.1.1 address for my own computer today. Funny I didn't cop that! Cheers

Advertisement