Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will I do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

He's been punished by taking away anything with an internet connection and texting capabilities. My brothers have had a word with him too. He honestly didn't understand what he was doing but knows now what he did was wrong and unacceptable. I've learned my lesson the hard way that he's too young for certain things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Ah great Im glad as a parent we now have a new scapegoat.

Sorry but I don't see where anyone saying the parent has delegated responsibility to technology. Responsibility is always with the parent.
    Tasden wrote: »
    If he had written the message on paper and passed it as a note in school, what then?
    While i don't agree with a child so young having a phone, it is more to do with the child than the phone. If the child was going to be nasty to someone they would have done so with or without the phone.

I don't agree. People (and children) will often do things using technology that they would never do in real life and especially not face to face.
    zeffabelli wrote: »
    Really, should we confiscate language and vocal chords and blame them when someone says aloud something we don't like?

Everyones reflexive Pavlovian dog response is to blame the technology, why not explore the context and meaning of the exchange?

Its overly simplistic, to suggest people are mindlessly blaming the technology. Rather the suggestion is unrestricted access to technology is not appropriate, if someone has had no instruction on its use and dangers.

But you can't use your vocal chords to communicate to the whole planet. You can with technology. Technology, is everywhere. So while cutting off access is a useful, short term discipline measure, its feasible to do it forever. So some training on the use of technology and its dangers are appropriate. Limited access, parental controls and parental supervision is required.

This is new ground for parent. Its never been an issue before. TV's, radio's and unconnected consoles we had in the past are very different to tablets, smart phones and modern consoles with internet access.

Sorry but I don't see where anyone saying the parent has delegated responsibility to technology. Responsibility is always with the parent.

People (and children) will often do things using technology that they would never do in real life and especially not face to face. Its overly simplistic, to suggest people are mindlessly blaming the technology. Rather the suggestion is unrestricted access to technology is not appropriate, if someone has had no instruction on its use and dangers and is not mature enough to use it.

But you can't use your vocal chords to communicate to the whole planet. You can with technology. Technology, is everywhere. So while cutting off access is a useful, short term discipline measure, its not feasible to do it forever. So some training on the use of technology and its dangers are appropriate. Limited access, parental controls and parental supervision is required.

This is new ground for parent. Its never been an issue before. TV's, radio's and unconnected consoles we had in the past are very different to tablets, smart phones and modern consoles with internet access.

I don't see where anyone saying the parent has delegated responsibility to technology. Responsibility is always with the parent. People (and children) will often do things using technology that they would never do in real life and especially not face to face. Its overly simplistic, to suggest people are mindlessly blaming the technology. Rather the suggestion is unrestricted access to technology is not appropriate, if someone has had no instruction on its use and dangers and is not mature enough to use it.

But you can't use your vocal chords to communicate to the whole planet. You can with technology. Technology, is everywhere. So while cutting off access is a useful, short term discipline measure, its not feasible to do it forever. So some training on the use of technology and its dangers are appropriate. Limited access, parental controls and parental supervision is required.

I don't see where the parent has delegated responsibility to technology. Responsibility is always with the parent. People (and children) will often do things using technology that they would never do in real life and especially not face to face. Its overly simplistic, to suggest people are mindlessly blaming the technology. Rather the suggestion is unrestricted access to technology is not appropriate, if someone has had no instruction on its use and dangers and is not mature enough to use it.

• Advertisement

Parents should also be aware that kids often have access to their parents smartphones, all the content, txts, emails and photos on that. Even if you have a pin the kids often work this out, but don't tell you they know your codes.

Also other parents give their phones to their kids to play games. Giving them access again to anything on their phone also. So be aware of this when you communicate with other parents/people too.

So look to your own security aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why has a 9 year old all these things anyhow???

Something to do with the 21st century?

Advertisement