Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

terminating a light switch

Options
  • 23-09-2015 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an under stairs simple light and switch. I am getting storage put under there now and I want to get rid of the light and switch and terminate the whole thing.
    I am assuming all I need to do is get a terminal block of the correct amp and connect the wires to it and perhaps tape it up also?
    What would be the correct amp for this terminal block?

Thanks

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,

I have an under stairs simple light and switch. I am getting storage put under there now and I want to get rid of the light and switch and terminate the whole thing.
    I am assuming all I need to do is get a terminal block of the correct amp and connect the wires to it and perhaps tape it up also?
    What would be the correct amp for this terminal block?

Thanks

Terminate is probably the wrong choice of word for what you are trying to do. I presume you mean get rid of the light and switch?
    If possible you should pull the cable going to the switch out altogether if it isn't going to used again. If not then 10 amp strip connectors can be used to make it safe. A junction box is a better option than tape if you are able to put one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tommythecat

aido79 wrote: »
    Terminate is probably the wrong choice of word for what you are trying to do. I presume you mean get rid of the light and switch?
    If possible you should pull the cable going to the switch out altogether if it isn't going to used again. If not then 10 amp strip connectors can be used to make it safe. A junction box is a better option than tape if you are able to put one in.

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I want to get rid of the switch and light altogether. I'm not sure I can trace the cable back to the previous light or where ever its coming from so thats why I wanted to terminate* it. So a junction box would be better but the same procedure?
    Thanks

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I want to get rid of the switch and light altogether. I'm not sure I can trace the cable back to the previous light or where ever its coming from so thats why I wanted to terminate* it. So a junction box would be better but the same procedure?
    Thanks

In electrical terms terminate = fit off/connect up to power. You are trying to do the exact opposite so that's why I said it's a bad choice of words.
    You are always better to put connecters in a junction box to make it safe but I would still recommend removing the cables if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What sort of switch is currently under there? if there's a standard backing box you can normally just buy a blanking plate for the switch. I would terminate the cables into a block connector and fit a blanking plate, so if anyone wants to re-use the light in the future it's not a major job.

Advertisement