Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for open evening

• 23-09-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    So I'm new to a school at the mo and am trying to make an impact in my subject. I'm history, English and classics.
    Other than quizzes n books lining tables I'm struggling. Practical subjects definitely appear more exciting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Computer screen showing old photos of the area on a loop went down very well one time I did it.

Another computer with the census site, RC parishes, etc..

Scrapbooks with projects on the course, family history projects that they can look through - that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

In my school sometimes the English and History teachers do enactment type stuff with students for open evening. Dress up as Romans, people from middle ages etc.

Or act out a scene out of a play for English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I ordered crime scene tape and staged some murders from famous English texts on the course (Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet etc) I gave all the kids coming in laminated detective badges and asked them to follow the clues to figure out what happened at the scene. I typed up a couple of 'witness statements' and a teacher dressed up as the dead body on the floor.

Advertisement