Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay when going to the Curragh Races?!

Options
  • 23-09-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hiya
    I am hoping to go to the curragh races next June. Could anyone help me on where to stay? I'd like to be near pubs & entertainment but only a taxi journey away from the racecourse.
    I'd be so grateful for any advise,
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P, you should get more informed responses here

Athtrasna

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah14x

athtrasna wrote: »
    Moved from A&P, you should get more informed responses here

Athtrasna

Thank you 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Both Newbridge and Kildare town are a short 5 minute taxi ride from the race course. I'm biased towards Newbridge and think its the better town for derby weekend.

ken wrote: »
    Both Newbridge and Kildare town are a short 5 minute taxi ride from the race course. I'm biased towards Newbridge and think its the better town for derby weekend.

Thanks ken;97134146 so you would suggest new bridge, is there any hotels you would suggest?

The Keadean is the only hotel in Newbridge. It can be a bit pricey. If I was staying somewhere I'd pick the gables guest house. Nice rooms and its own gym and pool. You would definitely want to be booking very early as every room and B&B within a few miles gets booked early. Relatives of a friend couldn't book a room in Newbridge or Kildare in late March 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Another vote here for the Gables.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Don't forget to consider AirBnB.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Petermc83

Osprey Hotel in Naas is 15mins taxi ride away.

ken wrote: »

Thanks a million, have u heard of athgarvan b&b in Kildare? I'm looking at that now. I just don't want to end up on the middle of nowhere! Yeah you're right, most places seem booked up already!!
    Sarah

I haven't but Athgarvan is only about 5-10 minutes by taxi from the race course. From Newbridge its about 5-8 mins by taxi and from Kildare town its 10-15. So it's not in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement

I think I'll look into that, looks nice! I just hope there's pubs & bars around as wouldn't have stayed in a b&b before!!

There is one pub up the road called the athgarvan inn(known locally as the thatch) They do lovely food. I haven't had a drink their in a good few years so can't comment on that.

Is there nightlife around the b&b? I don't want to make a bad decision, if there's only one pub I'm not sure 😕..

Unless you count sheep grazing on the Curragh as nightlife. Athgarvan is a small village, 1 pub,1 or 2 shops. About 300 people live there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Might be a baaaaaad move.

Aw no :/ I'm looking at the curragh b&b country house accom, seems a bit better...

Pretty much if your not staying in a town, Kildare,Newbridge or Naas your going to have to travel for a night out unless you like country pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

a lot of places booked out already from regulars especially Newbridge.

Kildare Town is very lively and its where the "horsey" types hang out. Lord Edward is fully booked, however Kildare House Hotel doesn't seem to have opened bookings yet. - Its has been refurbished, and I believe is very nice.

There are a few B&Bs in the area too.

There's a bus from Kildare train station and I'm almost certain the pubs in the town organise a bus to the curragh too on Derby weekend.

And to top it all off, Kildare Village outlet shopping is in the town too.

Advertisement