Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile operators

Options
  • 23-09-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Having been a long time user of O2 and since been handed over to Three, I am not impressed with the service.
    I have looked at threads about other providers but they are quite old and the different opinions I have seen seem uninspiring.

Currently on a 7gbdata/350text plan with two addons ons for 40 International texts and 30 National minutes for a monthly top up of €20.

What would be my best choice out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

kleefarr wrote: »
    Having been a long time user of O2 and since been handed over to Three, I am not impressed with the service.
    I have looked at threads about other providers but they are quite old and the different opinions I have seen seem uninspiring.

Currently on a 7gbdata/350text plan with two addons ons for 40 International texts and 30 National minutes for a monthly top up of €20.

What would be my best choice out there?

Meteor €20 pm 4G PAYG
    - 7.5GB 4G Data
    - unlimited any network voice calls
    - 400 free texts, including 100 international
    - Quality network compared to Three
    (Free texts using MyMeteor app which even works abroad)

Avoid Three and all their piggy-back networks - too many issues as you have experienced. It will take Three at least 2 years to build out their network at the old O2 sites. While Voda is a good network it is way too expensive for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Excellent bfb!.
    Thanks for a very comprehensive reply.
    Will need to look into that app though as we all use Windows phones.

As suspected, no app for windows phone although they have 400 webtexts available so could use this via the phone for international text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

no app for windows phone

Have you used Cabbage texter app (thread here)? Don’t know if it works on Windows phones but does work on windows xp desktop.

Looks like a non starter for windows phone.
    Although, rereading bfbs post... "400 free texts, including 100 international" would be plenty for what we use. I say we as wife would be changing as well.

But having checked the Meteor site I can not see the plan that bfb mentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Looks like a non starter for windows phone.
    Although, rereading bfbs post... "400 free texts, including 100 international" would be plenty for what we use. I say we as wife would be changing as well.

But having checked the Meteor site I can not see the plan that bfb mentions.

https://www.meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/simplicity/

It's the €20 "Simplicity" plan in the middle of this page. It doesn't mention the 400 free texts - but all Meteor customers get these, so this is a given. You could use the web browser to send them on a Windows phone - probably a little more clunky that with the Android/IOS MyMeteor app, but it should work just the same. I thought Windows phones could run Android apps with Windows 10?

Mine has not upgraded to 10 yet. It's only a Lumia 630.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

bugfreebob wrote: »
    Meteor €20 pm 4G PAYG
    - 7.5GB 4G Data
    - unlimited any network voice calls
    - 400 free texts, including 100 international
    - Quality network compared to Three
    (Free texts using MyMeteor app which even works abroad)

Avoid Three and all their piggy-back networks - too many issues as you have experienced. It will take Three at least 2 years to build out their network at the old O2 sites. While Voda is a good network it is way too expensive for data.

I was looking at Meteor as a bit tired of Three's network, but their pricing is a bit crap. The offer will eat up all your top up credit and you have to choose between either for calls or free texts (I personally don't think web texts are great), and of course out of bundle calls/texts are not cheap. So effectively you can't manage with 20 euros per month.

Yep, feel the same way. Looks like stuck with 3 as they are the only ones that can give me what I need, which is the old O2 bundle.
    What is it? BT sell out to Vodafone and O2 to Three, and in both cases a change for the worse.

Yep, feel the same way. Looks like stuck with 3 as they are the only ones that can give me what I need, which is the old O2 bundle.
    Want is it? BT sell out to Vodafone and O2 to Three, and in both cases a change for the worse.

I was on pretty much the same bundle as yours on O2. Won't fix bad network performances, but you might want to switch to the Three 20 euros monthly top-up offer. I think it will give you better value for money. You will lose your international text and call bundles, but will gain unlimited data, unlimited weekend calls, free UK data roaming, and get to keep your 20 euros credit (which will should more than cover what the bundles are currently giving you and offer more flexibility).

• Advertisement

Not sure. Need the International Texts.
    Plus, how can you top up by €20 and still keep it to spend on add-ons?
    I already have unlock codes ready to use so as soon as I find the same or better bundle somewhere I will be off.
    Don't even need the 7.5Gb Data. 2Gb Data would do. 200 texts for €10 of the €20 top up and then the remaining €10 for National talk mins and International texts.

Not sure. Need the International Texts.
    Plus, how can you top up by €20 and still keep it to spend on add-ons?
    I already have unlock codes ready to use so as soon as I find the same or better bundle somewhere I will be off.
    Don't even need the 7.5Gb Data. 2Gb Data would do. 200 texts for €10 of the €20 top up and then the remaining €10 for National talk mins and International texts.

The Three offer works differently from O2 or Meteor. When you top up 20 euros you get the unlimited data, weekend calls, unlimited texts AND get to keep the 20 euros credit. You can use that credit to send international text messages (how many will depend on the destination, but definitely many more than your with current bundle), for national/international calls, or for roaming. In my case it is definitely much better and more flexible than my previous O2 bundles.

Ok, I think you have converted me.
    Will probably change over towards the end of my current month with Three.

Ok, I think you have converted me.
    Will probably change over towards the end of my current month with Three.

I swear, I a not a Three sales rep ;-)

I wouldn't think you were seeing as you are suggesting I change to Meteor. ;)

How long have you been on the Meteor plan?
    Does any remaining credit roll over if you don't use the €20?

Ah bollocks, I see you mean change to the Three €20 thingy. Um..

I need better network performance.

Yes I meant if you don't move to Meteor the current Three plan offers better value for money then your legacy O2 plan for the exact same quality of service (albeit not great quality).

Didn't move to Meteor myself as the pricing doesn't work for me... But no doubt their network works better than Three and they have much better 4G coverage (Three's indoor 4G coverage is appalling as they originally only purchased higher frequencies, they need to deploy some of the lower frequencies to got from O2 but as far as I can see they don't seem to be in a rush).

Advertisement