Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plant spring summer autumn and winter bulbs in same bed?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I'm wondering if you can plant spring summer autumn and winter bulbs in same bed so that there is nearly all year round colour in the garden & along the hedgerow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Definitely but plant each type at the recommended time rather than putting them all in the ground at once. Some bulbs, like tulips, will need to be dug up once the foliage dies down and stored in a cool dry place until it is time to plant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Ive never dug up my tulips a d they come back year after year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I had a bad result with my tulips the second year with only a fraction of them coming up, and only yellow ones. Your conditions must be more favourable than mine. It is generally recommended to dig them up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Tulips like to sit in raised beds. The dryer the spot the better. Also: there are varieties that are tougher and more suited to the Irish climate than others. I planted some recently between my gladiolis. The stalks of the gladiolis are still green and visible so there was no chance of excidently damaging them while planting the tulips.
    Planting spring, summer and autumn bulbs together is a great idea for containers too. I have miniature early narcissi, late tulips and oxalis in the same pot. Works really well.

Advertisement