Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Gen. Entry Science course - What's the Maths like?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I'm doing honours maths at the minute, and I'm very interested in doing one of the many UCD Science courses next year (probably NPF - no preference), I'm doing all three science subjects for LC so I think this would suit me well.

The only problem is that I'm not very strong at HL Maths. Is the Maths module you're required to take for the Gen. Entry Science course at HL LC level, or above? Is it difficult for those who went in to the course with OL Maths? If I do drop down, I'm wondering whether that module could put a dent in my GPA or cause me to have to repeat a year if necessary. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

You'll have to choose between two maths modules in the first and second semesters. If you're looking to study a biology or chemistry subject as your final degree, you can do the easier (so I'm told) modules, but if you're interested in maths and physics, you'll need the other two to continue with those subjects. Note that the modules for the mathematical and physical sciences also allow biology and chemistry to be studied, if you hope to keep your options open.

When it comes to your GPA, that's only taken into account in the penultimate and final years of your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    You'll have to choose between two maths modules in the first and second semesters. If you're looking to study a biology or chemistry subject as your final degree, you can do the easier (so I'm told) modules, but if you're interested in maths and physics, you'll need the other two to continue with those subjects. Note that the modules for the mathematical and physical sciences also allow biology and chemistry to be studied, if you hope to keep your options open.

When it comes to your GPA, that's only taken into account in the penultimate and final years of your degree.

That makes sense. I am looking more towards biology/chem end of things, but the maths modules stay until final year I presume (hence affecting your GPA)? Maybe that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

That makes sense. I am looking more towards biology/chem end of things, but the maths modules stay until final year I presume (hence affecting your GPA)? Maybe that's not the case.

The modules only last one semester each, but I'm not sure if you're forced to stay at the same level of maths throughout. I very much doubt it, though. You'd have two weeks when you first start to finalise your modules, so you could always try both and see which one suits you best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Note that if you don't obtain a D1 at HL maths in the Leaving Cert, you'll be required to do an introductory maths module in semester 1 of first year in DN200, in which case you'll have to defer the Linear Algebra module 'til Stage 2. Such a scenario won't affect your GPA or cause you to repeat or anything - it just gives you one less option when choosing modules for second year.

Dair76 wrote: »
    Note that if you don't obtain a D1 at HL maths in the Leaving Cert, you'll be required to do an introductory maths module in semester 1 of first year in DN200, in which case you'll have to defer the Linear Algebra module 'til Stage 2. Such a scenario won't affect your GPA or cause you to repeat or anything - it just gives you one less option when choosing modules for second year.

I'm probably going to get around the D1 grade or a bit above in HL maths, so that's useful info, thanks a million. Say if I do get above a D1, am I thrown into a higher standard set of maths module(s)? Or do I just get to avoid the introductory maths? And lastly, if I get above a D1, I'm guessing there's still mandatory maths to do, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

If you don't get the minimum maths grade for your course you have to do intro to maths. It takes the place of one of your other maths modules in semester 1, which you will do in semester 1 of year 2 instead. I'm doing it at the moment and, to be honest, it's incredibly easy.

If you find yourself struggling with anything maths related there is a maths support centre in the library where you can go with a problem you don't understand and a post-grad student will explain it to you. This is very useful because sometimes the lecturers will assume a greater level of knowledge than you have (especially when they throw in random notation symbols you have never seen before). The great thing about UCD is how much help there is available if you need it. I have yet to come across a single staff member who does not want to help those who look for help.

If you don't get the minimum maths grade for your course you have to do intro to maths. It takes the place of one of your other maths modules in semester 1, which you will do in semester 1 of year 2 instead. I'm doing it at the moment and, to be honest, it's incredibly easy.

If you find yourself struggling with anything maths related there is a maths support centre in the library where you can go with a problem you don't understand and a post-grad student will explain it to you. This is very useful because sometimes the lecturers will assume a greater level of knowledge than you have (especially when they throw in random notation symbols you have never seen before). The great thing about UCD is how much help there is available if you need it. I have yet to come across a single staff member who does not want to help those who look for help.

You're finding it incredibly easy? For perepective, what grade did you get in LC maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

The only problem is that I'm not very strong at HL Maths. Is the Maths module you're required to take for the Gen. Entry Science course at HL LC level, or above? Is it difficult for those who went in to the course with OL Maths? Thanks.

The two compulsory modules are leaving cert level and both assume no prior knowledge of the actual topics. There are tutorials for both as well where you can get help with anything you find difficult. The maths is definitely not something I'd be worrying about at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

You're finding it incredibly easy? For perepective, what grade did you get in LC maths?

I got a C2 ordinary level 10 years ago. Today in Intro To Maths we were adding fractions. Ok, it's basic stuff but the point of it is to give you a better understanding of the fundamental principles behind more advanced stuff. Even though you might think you know a rule, it will help you understand why it is a rule.

Advertisement